Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
In the 1940s popular magazines in the United States began to report on [#permalink]
[quote="Bunuel"]In the 1940s popular magazines in the United States began to report on the private lives of persons from the entertainment industry, in despite of the fact that they previously had featured individuals in business and politics.

A. in despite of the fact that they previously had featured individuals

B. in spite of the fact previously that these publications featured articles on those

C. whereas previously there were those individuals featured in articles

D. whereas previously those individuals they featured were

E. whereas previously these publications had featured articles on individuals

EducationAisle, Bunuel, chetan2u
In option E- we have previously in the non-underlined portion, which already means that the event happened prior to 1940. So, how do we justify the use of had in the correct OA?
Please clarify.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: In the 1940s popular magazines in the United States began to report on [#permalink]
[quote="Bunuel"]In the 1940s popular magazines in the United States began to report on the private lives of persons from the entertainment industry, in despite of the fact that they previously had featured individuals in business and politics.

B. in spite of the fact previously that these publications featured articles on those

both featured in D and had featured in C is correct.
but in choice D, "those individuals" refer to "persons from " this is no sense.
[
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Re: In the 1940s popular magazines in the United States began to report on [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
In the 1940s popular magazines in the United States began to report on the private lives of persons from the entertainment industry, in despite of the fact that they previously had featured individuals in business and politics.

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(SC01007)

IT'S SHOW TIME

ROUND 1 STUPID CONSTRUCTION (AWKWARD CONSTRUCTION/ REDUNDANCY)
IN DESPITE... WTH???? STUPID WORDING.... GET OUT A
IN SPITE...; OHK BUT "FACT PREVIOUSLY THAT", SERIOUSLY? WE'RE RAISING MANAGERS HERE, GET OUT B
THERE WERE THOSE INDIVIDUALS.... WOW... JUST WOW... WHERE IS "THERE". A PRONOUN NEEDS AN ANTECEDENT AND A PLACE NEEDS A NAME, FYI MAGAZINE IS A THING NOT A PLACE Y'ALL. SO BYE BYE C

ROUND 2 TENSES
NOW YOU'RE TALKING
THOSE AND THEY IS OK COZ WE GOT A REFERENT BUT STILL AMBIGUOUS
LET'S FIND SOME OTHER FLAW INSTEAD
HAD V WERE
YES
YES YES
WE GOT YOU MR. TEST MAKER

WE KNOW THE TIME LINE RULES
WE NEED A HAD HERE.
SO BYE BYE D

E IS OUR WINNER!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Businessconquerer wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In the 1940s popular magazines in the United States began to report on the private lives of persons from the entertainment industry, in despite of the fact that they previously had featured individuals in business and politics.

(SC01007)

IT'S SHOW TIME

IN SPITE...; OHK BUT "FACT PREVIOUSLY THAT", SERIOUSLY? WE'RE RAISING MANAGERS HERE, GET OUT B
THERE WERE THOSE INDIVIDUALS.... WOW... JUST WOW... WHERE IS "THERE". A PRONOUN NEEDS AN ANTECEDENT AND A PLACE NEEDS A NAME, FYI MAGAZINE IS A THING NOT A PLACE Y'ALL. SO BYE BYE C

ROUND 2 TENSES
NOW YOU'RE TALKING
HAD V WERE
YES
YES YES

WE NEED A HAD HERE.
SO BYE BYE D

E IS OUR WINNER!!!!!!!!

Wait but look out there... fact previously that is an acceptable form of speech right??? I eliminated it because of "those" in the end
Is that correct?????
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Kartiknimbalkar wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(SC01007)

IT'S SHOW TIME

ROUND 2 TENSES
NOW YOU'RE TALKING
HAD V WERE
YES
YES YES

WE NEED A HAD HERE.
SO BYE BYE D

E IS OUR WINNER!!!!!!!!

Wait but look out there... fact previously that is an acceptable form of speech right??? I eliminated it because of "those" in the end
Is that correct?????

Hey man I get it... It's really hard to catch Unidiomatic structures, but, I assure you it's awkward when you read the sentence in full. On GMAT if you have doubts, regarding what Questions are testing awkward construction, use the options as a tool. And thanks, I've read the texts, Glad I could help a fellow GMAT student. And even more thanks for kudos.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
@EMPOWERgmatVerbal/daagh/GMATNinja,

Isn't usage of past perfect is optional as the previously word indicates the sequence of action correctly?
Will the below option correct, in that case,
F. whereas previously these publications featured articles on individuals

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(SC01007)

A) - 'In despite' is the wrong phrase to convey the intended meaning here.
B) - 'In spite of' is incorrect choice of phrase. The rest of the sentence is awkward and wordy
C) - The highlighted text is awkward and wordy
D) - Same error as C
E) - 'Whereas' is the correct phrase to convey the intended meaning here. 'Had featured' correctly conveys the order of events that 1. Articles and individuals related to business used to be featured 2. Now (still in the past) , people from the entertainment industry are featured.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear IanStewart DmitryFarber GMATGuruNY

Can publications feature a person (as in choice A.)?
Or it must be that publications feature AN ARTICLE ON a person (as in choice E.)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
varotkorn wrote:
Dear IanStewart DmitryFarber GMATGuruNY

Can publications feature a person (as in choice A.)?
Or it must be that publications feature AN ARTICLE ON a person (as in choice E.)?

Either way.

Correct: World-renowned paper salesman, Michael Scott, is featured on page 5 of the latest issue of the Wall Street Journal.
Correct: The Wall Street Journal featured an article on Michael Scott, world-renowned paper salesman.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Why is E right here? It seems to be the best option, but the "previously" and "had featured" throws it off for. In the above explanations, it seems as though this makes it questionable but not incorrect. Is there a more technical reason why it's not wrong? Don't the those two pieces make it a little redundant? Moreever, should it always be like this (i.e., if there is a marker that alludes to the past and there's past perfect, you can't remove the answer for it)?

Sorry for all the questions..just a little confused!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
samgyupsal wrote:
Why is E right here? It seems to be the best option, but the "previously" and "had featured" throws it off for. In the above explanations, it seems as though this makes it questionable but not incorrect. Is there a more technical reason why it's not wrong? Don't the those two pieces make it a little redundant? Moreever, should it always be like this (i.e., if there is a marker that alludes to the past and there's past perfect, you can't remove the answer for it)?

good question.

we realize that choice E is best but there is a problem.

past perfect is used if the order of 2 events is not clear. we do not know which event happen before the other and we use past perfect to show the clear order. if we do not use past perfect, the second meaning happens-two events happen simultaneously- or unclear order happen.

if the order of two events is clear, we dont use past perfect but use two simple past.

I learned gmat in 2000 and previously I learned english.

so, choice E is problematic.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

A. in despite of the fact that they previously had featured individuals X

B. in spite of the fact previously that these publications featured articles on those X

C. whereas previously there were those individuals featured in articles X

D. whereas previously those individuals they featured were X

E. whereas previously these publications had featured articles on individuals Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal
Please clarify.

In option E
whereas previously these publications had featured articles on individuals in business and politics.
we have parallelism error since ....private lives of persons from the entertainment industry.

If we choose option D
whereas previously those individuals they featured were in business and politics.
in this sentence they can refer to popular magzines and since pronoun ambiguity is not a strict rule.
use of in seems more apt in option D more than option E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5

Can the pronoun 'they' refer to the popular magazines even though it's an entity and not a person?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
samgyupsal wrote:

"Previously" and "had" are definitely a bit redundant.

This is probably the move unless you have a choice between one that does and one that doesn't have this issue:
Quote:
if there is a marker that alludes to the past and there's past perfect, you can't remove the answer for it

Overall, tense is often not an exact thing, and multiple tenses can work in a situation. So, generally, you need a pretty clear tense issue to eliminate a choice on the basis of tense.

MartyTargetTestPrep

EMPOWERgmatVerbal mentions: Answers B, C, and D are INCORRECT because they use the past tense “featured” instead of the past perfect “had featured.”

However, wouldn't you have picked a different issue(s) to rule these answer choices out because "previously" and "featured" clearly indicate the timeframe and do not require the use of past perfect for this reason? I would be so appreciative to learn your view on how I approached this question below...
For A:
-I don't like "in despite of the fact" ... despite of the fact =although and substituting in although does not seem logical
-I don't like the ambiguous use of "they"... is it referring to the "magazines" or the "private lives"?

For B:
-I don't like "in spite of the fact previously that" --> in spite of the fact seems unidiomatic and "those" is ambiguous per my point above on Choice A... who does "those" refer to?

For C:
-I don't like "there were those individuals" just seems unidiomatic/repetitive... why do you need "those" and "individuals"

For D:
-Same as C "those individuals they" just seems unidiomatic/repetitive... why do you need "those", "individuals", and "they"
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
In the 1940s popular magazines in the United States began to report on [#permalink]
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep

EMPOWERgmatVerbal mentions: Answers B, C, and D are INCORRECT because they use the past tense “featured” instead of the past perfect “had featured.”

However, wouldn't you have picked a different issue(s) to rule these answer choices out because "previously" and "featured" clearly indicate the timeframe and do not require the use of past perfect for this reason?

"Previously" does indicates time sequence. However, sometimes it makes more sense to use the past perfect than the simple past with "previously." So, we have to consider sentences that use "previously" on a case by case basis to determine which tense makes sense to use.

Quote:
I would be so appreciative to learn your view on how I approached this question below...
For A:
-I don't like "in despite of the fact" ... despite of the fact =although and substituting in although does not seem logical
-I don't like the ambiguous use of "they"... is it referring to the "magazines" or the "private lives"?

"In despite of the fact" is indeed illogical.

However, I think "they" pretty clearly refers to "popular magazines in the United States," since the magazines would have featured those individuals. In other words, there may be some slight degree of ambiguity regarding what "they" refers to, but that slight degree of ambiguity is not a clear reason to eliminate this choice.

Quote:
For B:
-I don't like "in spite of the fact previously that" --> in spite of the fact seems unidiomatic and "those" is ambiguous per my point above on Choice A... who does "those" refer to?

Yes, "in spite of the fact previously that" has "previously" placed illogically between "fact" and "that."

However, the use of "those" is not clearly incorrect.

Quote:
For C:
-I don't like "there were those individuals" just seems unidiomatic/repetitive... why do you need "those" and "individuals"

That construction could work in some contexts. The issue main issue with this choice is that the meaning conveyed doesn't make sense. After all, the fact that "there were those individuals" doesn't logically contrast with the previous fact about the people magazines began to report on.

Here's a simpler version that shows the issue more clearly.

Magazines began to report on the lives of persons in entertainment, whereas previously, there were those individuals feature in articles.

Notice that, in this version, "in business and politics" is placed to modify "articles" rather than "individuals" with the result that the point about the individuals being in business in politics is not conveyed.

Quote:
For D:
-Same as C "those individuals they" just seems unidiomatic/repetitive... why do you need "those", "individuals", and "they"

The use of "those" doesn't make sense here; the correct word to use is "the."

However, the real issue with this choice is that the meaning isn't clearly conveyed.

Is the point that the magazines did something previously or that the individuals were in different fields previously to being featured? Which point the sentence is meant to convey isn't clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(SC01007)

Hi Experts GMATNinja KarishmaB

I have a query regarding the answer (E).

In this option we are using both "previously" and "had featured". ?? Is that correct?

Where I think (D) makes more sense since though "they" pronoun reference is a bit ambiguous but that is not the end in GMAT...?

Please help to clear my confusion?

Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts