GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58320
In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 03:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (02:11) correct 19% (02:22) wrong based on 75 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7953
Re: In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 07:36
1
Bunuel wrote:
Image
In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent different digits, and all the digits in the sum are different. What is the sum of A,B,C and D?

A. 23
B. 22
C. 18
D. 16
E. 14

Attachment:
p003-8.gif



The first thing that we can say for sure is that D =1.. as B+5 or B+5+1 = 10*D + 4... and B is a digit....

Now A + C = 13, as None of A or C can be 1 as D =1.. so there are no combinations of A and C that can equal just 3..

Now from tens digit 5+B+1 = 14.... so B = 14-6=8....

so \(A+B+C+D= A+C+B+D = 13+8+1=22..\)
B
_________________
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 807
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 08:59
2
'B' should be the answer.

Sum of two digits is giving three digits as the answer.

D must be 1

Now there could be two possibilities:-

Case 1:- A+C= 3

In this case 'B' would be 9. Hence sum off all digits will be 3+9+1= 13 (But this is not in the option)

Case 2:- A+C= 13

In this case 'B' would be 8. Hence sum of all digits would be 13+8+1= 22
_________________
I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7953
Re: In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 09:30
Divyadisha wrote:
'B' should be the answer.

Sum of two digits is giving three digits as the answer.

D must be 1

Now there could be two possibilities:-

Case 1:- A+C= 3

In this case 'B' would be 9. Hence sum off all digits will be 3+9+1= 13 (But this is not in the option)


Case 2:- A+C= 13

In this case 'B' would be 8. Hence sum of all digits would be 13+8+1= 22


Hi,

the high lighted portion cannot be a possiblity.....
Quote:
and all the digits in the sum are different
..
this means NOT ONLY A,B,C and D are different BUT ALSO they are different from existing digits 5,4 and 3
since you have correctly found D as 1, and A + C = 3, with both A and C as different digits..
so if A+C = 3..
two possiblities are
1) A and C are 0 and 3 but we already have 3 as one of the digits..
2) A and C are 1 and 2, but again D is already 1..

so NOT a possiblity..
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2016
Posts: 57
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 10:03
Bunuel wrote:
Image
In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent different digits, and all the digits in the sum are different. What is the sum of A,B,C and D?

A. 23
B. 22
C. 18
D. 16
E. 14

Attachment:
The attachment p003-8.gif is no longer available


Ans B
file attached
Attachments

2016-05-19 22.26.27.jpg
2016-05-19 22.26.27.jpg [ 303.84 KiB | Viewed 4185 times ]

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 807
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 10:52
chetan2u wrote:
Divyadisha wrote:
'B' should be the answer.

Sum of two digits is giving three digits as the answer.

D must be 1

Now there could be two possibilities:-

Case 1:- A+C= 3

In this case 'B' would be 9. Hence sum off all digits will be 3+9+1= 13 (But this is not in the option)


Case 2:- A+C= 13

In this case 'B' would be 8. Hence sum of all digits would be 13+8+1= 22


Hi,

the high lighted portion cannot be a possiblity.....
Quote:
and all the digits in the sum are different
..
this means NOT ONLY A,B,C and D are different BUT ALSO they are different from existing digits 5,4 and 3
since you have correctly found D as 1, and A + C = 3, with both A and C as different digits..
so if A+C = 3..
two possiblities are
1) A and C are 0 and 3 but we already have 3 as one of the digits..
2) A and C are 1 and 2, but again D is already 1..

so NOT a possiblity..


Thanks for pointing out chetan2u. Overlooked the possibility that A,B,C and D are different from existing digits.
_________________
I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2016
Posts: 93
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 610 Q37 V36
GPA: 2.7
WE: Information Technology (Education)
Re: In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 14:38
D has to be 1 because we are adding two numbers that are lower than 100, so the total has to be lower than 200.

Because D = 1, we know that A + C can't be 3, because either A or C would also need to be 1 and that is not allowed, so the only other possibility is 13.

Now, (5+1) + B = 14, thus B = 8.

13 + 8 + 1 = 22.
_________________
The errant cosmos works against me!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 10 Nov 2014
Posts: 63
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 01:56
Bunuel wrote:
Image
In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent different digits, and all the digits in the sum are different. What is the sum of A,B,C and D?

A. 23
B. 22
C. 18
D. 16
E. 14

Attachment:
p003-8.gif



Bunuel and Other Experts, Please help with my query

Can we not have Zero has one of the value. It says different digits . So why not zero.

I mean can we take A =3 and C = 0 ,D=1, and B =9. Total comes to 13 ( I know its not in option) but I want to understand if ever we can consider Zero in such cases.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand.
GMAT Club Bot
In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2019, 01:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the above correctly worked addition sum, A,B,C and D represent diff

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne