Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [110]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618804 [49]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [18]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: In the addition table shown above, what is the value of m + n ? [#permalink]
Kudos
the simplest way to do this is through a series of successive substitutions.
whenever there's a () in the working below, it means i have substituted a value that i found in an earlier step.

cheers.

x + 4 = 1
therefore, x = -3

y + 4 = -5
therefore, y = -9

x + e = 7
(-3) + e = 7
therefore, e = 10

y + e = n
(-9) + (10) = n
therefore, n = 1 ...(i)

z + e = 10
z + (10) = 10
therefore, z = 0

z + 4 = m
(0) + 4 = m
therefore, m = 4 ...(ii)

using (i) and (ii), m + n = 5

Ans = 5
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Re: In the addition table shown above, what is the value of m + n ? [#permalink]
Kudos
4 + z = m
e + y = n
e + z = 10
4 + y = -5
4 + z + e + y = m + n
m + n = 10 - 5 = 5
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [4]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
On careful observation , this problem can be easily solved under 2 mins.

m +n = 4 +z + e +y = 4 +(z+e)+y = 4 +10+y = 14+y

solve y separately, y = -9 => m+n = 14-9 =5.

Answer is C.

Sarang wrote:
Question:- will this get completed in a time span of 2 mins?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
+xyz
41-5m
e7n10
f2-45

In the addition table shown above, what is the value of m + n =?
A. -19
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 22

The sum of some value from the first row and and some value from the first column is given in the intersection box of these values.

So:

x+4=1 --> x=-3;
y+4=-5 --> y=-9;
x+e=-3+e=7 --> e=10;
y+e=-9+10=n --> n=1;
z+e=z+10=10 --> z=0;
z+4=0+4=m --> m=4;

\(m+n=4+1=5\).

How will I know that The sum of some value from the first row and and some value from the first column is given in the intersection box of these values. What is the mechanism?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Baten80 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
+xyz
41-5m
e7n10
f2-45

In the addition table shown above, what is the value of m + n =?
A. -19
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 22

The sum of some value from the first row and and some value from the first column is given in the intersection box of these values.

So:

x+4=1 --> x=-3;
y+4=-5 --> y=-9;
x+e=-3+e=7 --> e=10;
y+e=-9+10=n --> n=1;
z+e=z+10=10 --> z=0;
z+4=0+4=m --> m=4;

\(m+n=4+1=5\).

Answer: C.

How will I know that The sum of some value from the first row and and some value from the first column is given in the intersection box of these values. What is the mechanism?

If you are not aware of the concept of 'addition table', the mechanism isn't intuitive. It might take some time to figure out. On the bright side, you now know the mechanism behind an addition table and if some other such concept does crop up in your actual GMAT, they will explain you how to arrive at the values. Very rarely will you see ambiguity in actual GMAT questions (If it does arise, they are quick to fix it.) So just know what this concept is and move on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [1]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Kudos
This one is quite easy actually. I, frankly, do not think that this is 700-level. But then again, it is just my opinion.

Here is my explanation:

Question: m + n = ?

Now m = z + 4; n = y + e

Hence, m + n = z + 4 + y + e = (z + e) + (y + 4)

If you observe the table again, you know that (z + e) = 10 and (y + 4) = -5.

Add them to get m + n = 5

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Q # 2 on my GMAT Prep test # 1... :roll: spent 5 minutes trying to figure it out and still couldn't. Now I am worrying more than ever about such ridiculous questions....
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mk0991 wrote:
Q # 2 on my GMAT Prep test # 1... :roll: spent 5 minutes trying to figure it out and still couldn't. Now I am worrying more than ever about such ridiculous questions....

You don't have to worry. If this question was a part of GMAT at some time, it was a very very long time back. GMAT has been evolving and now if they use a term such as 'addition table', they are not going to assume that you know what it is. They will explain you what an addition table is i.e. they will tell you something like this" "An addition table is where numbers in the first row get added to numbers in the first column to give the results given in the grid e.g. 4 + X = 1, E + Y = N etc."
The stats related to every question are monitored and if they see inconsistencies, they filter them out e.g. if they see people getting more than Q49 but sitting on this 500 - 600 level question for 5 mins, they will figure out why and take action. In GMAT, the intent of the question will be very clear. You will only have to worry about 'how to get the answer' not 'what do they want'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [13]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos