Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619251 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: In the city of Ocean View, escalating prices of single family homes [#permalink]
In the city of Ocean View, escalating prices of single family homes are forcing more and more people who work in Ocean View and wish to purchase a home to move inland, where homes are more affordable. This trend is unhealthy for Ocean View, both economically and socially. But the city can reverse the trend by providing economic incentives for home-building companies to build houses that are affordable to a greater percentage of Ocean view residents.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Workers who commute a short distance to work are more productive, on average, than workers who commute further.
--no one is talking about productivity

(B) Most of Ocean View???s workers would rather reside in Ocean View than in other areas.
-- important for the argument to hold. People should want to reside there for breaking the trend.

(C) The supply of rental housing in Ocean View currently exceeds the demand for such housing.
--opposite and not addressing expensive housing

(D) At present, there are a significant number of lots in Ocean View on which it is possible to build new single-family homes.
--has to be true, but less than A cause even if the homes are built on the land and no one wants to live, it'll not be helpful

(E) Home builders generate a greater profit from building expensive homes than less expensive ones.
--opposite

please let me know where I am going wrong in B and D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: In the city of Ocean View, escalating prices of single family homes [#permalink]
im down to B and D, but choose B because D has the word "are a significant number of lots" can anyone explainw hy D is favord or why B isless favored
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I was also confused between B and D but I marked D.

The primary reason I gave it to myself while making that decision was even though (B) Most of Ocean View???s workers would rather reside in Ocean View than in other areas if that's true we don't know from the passage that all the ocean view resident works in the ocean view also. and that's the reason I didn't mark A.

and D made sense because the passage mentions "Home builder" and if there are no lots in the area what's the point of giving incentive.

so to strengthen the plan of providing incentives to Home builders owner there has to be lots to build it.

Please reply if you think my logic is wrong because I am here to learn

Thanks so much.!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts