Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 02:50 It is currently 11 May 2024, 02:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Coordinate Geometryx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 527
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
In the coordinate system above, which of the following is the equation [#permalink]
line (l): ax + by = c (same as answer choice form)

(3,0) is on line (l): 3a = c
(0,2) is on line (l): 2b = c
=> 3a = 2b
=> a/b = 2/3
fits (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: In the coordinate system above, which of the following is the equation [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

In the coordinate system above, which of the following is the equation of line l ?

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Notice that line l passes through points (3,0) and (0,2), so its slope is \(m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}=-\frac{2}{3}\) (given two points \((x_1,y_1)\) and \((x_2,y_2)\) on a line, the slope \(m\) of the line is \(m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}\)).

Only option B, when written in \(y=mx+b\) form has the slope of -2/3.

Answer: B.

can we assume initially that line is passing from 2nd QD to 4th QD so the slope should be neagtive and B & C are the only options satisfying it and then substitute the values of (3,0) and (0,2) to solve it ?
Re: In the coordinate system above, which of the following is the equation [#permalink]
Quote:

In the coordinate system above, which of the following is the equation of line l ?

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Attachment:
Line L.png

Hello experts,
EMPOWERgmatRichC, VeritasKarishma, IanStewart, Bunuel, chetan2u, ArvindCrackVerbal, AaronPond, GMATinsight, JeffTargetTestPrep, ccooley
Are the points Exactly in (3,0) and (0,2)?
Thanks__
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65224 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
Quote:

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Attachment:
Line L.png

Hello experts,
EMPOWERgmatRichC, VeritasKarishma, IanStewart, Bunuel, chetan2u, ArvindCrackVerbal, AaronPond, GMATinsight, JeffTargetTestPrep, ccooley
Thanks__

May be, may be not but it is the only logical assumption going by the options. PS questions need to be solved. Diagrams in PS are drawn to scale. Going by the options, I know that the points are not (2.99, 0) and (0, 2.02); they must be (3, 0) and (0, 2), so why to worry.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Walkabout wrote:

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Attachment:
Line L.png

Well ofcourse there is ambiguity in the following case i.e if the line is indeed passing through the points (3,0) and (0,2)

Hence i tried to negate the other equations.

A. 2x - 3y = 6
3y = 2x-6 (Y intercept is positive, hence eq cannot be true)

C. 3x + 2y = 6
2y = -3x +6
y= -3/2x + 3 (So the Y intercept is 3 and in that case the X intercept would be 2 (from m) however from the figure we see that x intercept is not on 2 but >2

D. 2x - 3y = -6
3y = 2x + 6
y = 2/3x + 3 (Cannot be true since the slope is negative as per the diagram)

E.3x -2y = -6
2y = -3x - 6 (Cannot be true since the Y intercept is positive)

Hence the answer is B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Looking at the diagram, we can see that the line passes through (3,0) & (0,2)
So the slope is (0-2)/(3-0)= -2/3
From A we have 3y=2x-6 so slope is 2/3 not the line
From B we have 3y=-2x+6
So y=-(2/3)x+6/3
Same slope.
In this line y=-(2/3)x+2, if we substitute 0 for x we get the y intercept as 2 which is what the line shows
Hence B

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 528
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
[quote="Walkabout"]

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

The two points are (0,2) and (3,0). Slope =0-2/3-0=-2/3.

We are looking for a -ve slope therefore need to choose options with positive values so that algebra works out.
(B) 2x+3y=6
3y=6-2x
y=6/3-2x/3
y=-2x/3+6/3
y=-2x/3+2

The slope of the equation will be coefficient of x, therefore -2/3.

B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:
Asad wrote:
Quote:

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Attachment:
Line L.png

Hello experts,
GMATinsight,
Thanks__

HI Asad

Since the question wants to take the reference from the figure so YES we need to interpret that the points on X and Y axis are (3,0) and (0,2). But you can answer the question without taking them exactly (3,0) and (0,2)

Look at it this way. The Line shown in figure is a Downward sloping line i.e. it has NEGATIVE SLOPE

As per the general equation of line which is y = mx+c, Options A, D and E have Positive slope hence these options are OUT

Slope in Option B = -2/3
Slope in Option C = -3/2

Now, the figure clearly depicts that absolute value of X intercept is bigger than the same for Y-intercept whereas Slope = Y intercept/X intercept

i.e. Absolute value of slope must be LESS Than 1 hence Option B is correct and Option C is out

I hope this explain! :)

Brilliant, just what I was looking for.. thank you

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5616 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
As we can see that the angle made by the line with positive direction of x axis is obtuse, hence the slope of the line is Negative.

Answer Options A, D, E are eliminated, as these lines have positive slope.

Answer option B: 2x + 3y = 6. putting y = 0, we get x-intercept = 3. Possible.

Answer option C: 3x+2y = 6. putting y = 0, we get x-intercept = 2. NOT Possible, as it is clear from the figure provided, that x intercept is more than 2.

Answer is B

Walkabout wrote:

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Attachment:
Line L.png
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4945 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Walkabout wrote:

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Attachment:
Line L.png

The two points of line l are (0,2) and (3,0)

The slope \(= \frac{2-0}{0-3}=-\frac{2}{3}\)

\(∴ y=-\frac{2}{3}x\)

\(⇒3y=-2x\)

\(⇒ 2x+3y=0\)

B is the answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 560 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATBusters wrote:
As we can see that the angle made by the line with positive direction of x axis is obtuse, hence the slope of the line is Negative.

Answer option C: 3x+2y = 6. putting y = 0, we get x-intercept = 2. NOT Possible, as it is clear from the figure provided, that x intercept is more than 2.

Answer is B

Walkabout wrote:

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Attachment:
Line L.png

GMATBusters I just want to confirm if I understood your method.

Slope (m) = - x coefficient / y coefficient. So in (A) we have -2/-3 and hence +ve slope so we eliminate right? When we are considering the y coefficient we need to consider -3 and not just 3 right?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5616 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
I feel by this "Slope (m) = - x coefficient / y coefficient." : you are converting y = mx +c.
it is as per the equation, do NOT change the sign .

PS:
Do not remember "Slope (m) = - x coefficient / y coefficient." as it is incomplete :
Slope (m) = - x coefficient / y coefficient, when both x and y terms are on same side of equation : 2x+3y = 7
Slope (m) = x coefficient / y coefficient, when both x and y terms are on opposite side of equation : 2x=3y + 7

Hoozan wrote:
GMATBusters wrote:

Answer is B

Walkabout wrote:

(A) 2x - 3y = 6
(B) 2x + 3y = 6
(C) 3x + 2y = 6
(D) 2x - 3y = -6
(E) 3x - 2y = -6

Attachment:
Line L.png

GMATBusters I just want to confirm if I understood your method.

Slope (m) = - x coefficient / y coefficient. So in (A) we have -2/-3 and hence +ve slope so we eliminate right? When we are considering the y coefficient we need to consider -3 and not just 3 right?

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 560 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATBusters wrote:
I feel by this "Slope (m) = - x coefficient / y coefficient." : you are converting y = mx +c.
it is as per the equation, do NOT change the sign .

PS:
Do not remember "Slope (m) = - x coefficient / y coefficient." as it is incomplete :
Slope (m) = - x coefficient / y coefficient, when both x and y terms are on same side of equation : 2x+3y = 7
Slope (m) = x coefficient / y coefficient, when both x and y terms are on opposite side of equation : 2x=3y + 7

Yes, when I say (m) = - coefficient of x / coefficient of y I am assuming the equation 2x + 3y = 7.

Thanks for making the difference in the two types of equations clear :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
schen wrote:
Just a different way of approaching the problem...
since we know the y-intercept is -c/b when the equation is given in the form ax+by +c =0.. simply use what's on the right side of the equation (it'll turn negative when moved to the left) and divide by b.

This way doesn't work, please do not use this method, in this case, D would qualify as well.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
93155 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts