It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 01:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Posts: 259

Kudos [?]: 806 [1], given: 11

In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2011, 17:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:21) correct 59% (01:09) wrong based on 396 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
Circle.png
Circle.png [ 14.99 KiB | Viewed 14250 times ]
In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50, and point P has coordinates (50,0). If point Q (not shown) is on the circle, what is the length of line segment PQ ?

(1) The x-coordinate of point Q is – 30.
(2) The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Kudos [?]: 806 [1], given: 11

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2010
Posts: 280

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 1

Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2011, 20:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
We need to have both the X and Y coordinate to find the distance.

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 1

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42577

Kudos [?]: 135442 [8], given: 12695

Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2011, 02:03
8
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50, and point P has coordinates (50,0). If point Q (not shown) is on the circle, what is the length of line segment PQ ?

Note that we are told that point Q is on the circle. Also as the radius of the circle is 50 then for any point (x,y) on the circle \(x^2+y^2=50^2\) (check for more here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html) Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
Circle.png
Circle.png [ 13.28 KiB | Viewed 14215 times ]

(1) The x-coordinate of point Q is – 30 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q1 or Q2 on the diagram, but in any case the distance between P and Q is the same --> for point Q: \((-30)^2+y^2=50^2\) --> \(y^2=20*80=40^2\), so \(CQ^2=y^2=40^2\) (no matter where Q actually is on Q1 or Q2) --> PQ which is the hypotenuse in PQC is equal to \(PQ^2=PC^2+CQ^2=80^2+40^2\) --> \(PQ=40\sqrt{5}\). Sufficient.

(2) The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q2 or Q3 on the diagram, and the distance between P and Q will be different for theses cases. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135442 [8], given: 12695

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 00:48
How doe we know that P lies on the diameter ? As per question, position of P relative to centre is not known. So how is it assumed that P is on the diameter? Wouldn't it change answer ?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42577

Kudos [?]: 135442 [0], given: 12695

Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 01:24
deepo85 wrote:
How doe we know that P lies on the diameter ? As per question, position of P relative to centre is not known. So how is it assumed that P is on the diameter? Wouldn't it change answer ?


Since the circle is centered at the origin and has the radius 50, then point P(50,0) must lie on a circle.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135442 [0], given: 12695

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 225

Kudos [?]: 311 [1], given: 7

Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2012, 10:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Nice question I got it wrong because i just considered X co-ordinate ,forgot that things could be different for y :P
_________________

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Kudos [?]: 311 [1], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 427

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Premium Member
Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 06:52
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50, and point P has coordinates (50,0). If point Q (not shown) is on the circle, what is the length of line segment PQ ?

Note that we are told that point Q is on the circle. Also as the radius of the circle is 50 then for any point (x,y) on the circle \(x^2+y^2=50^2\) (check for more here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html) Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
Circle.png

(1) The x-coordinate of point Q is – 30 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q1 or Q2 on the diagram, but in any case the distance between P and Q is the same --> for point Q: \((-30)^2+y^2=50^2\) --> \(y^2=20*80=40^2\), so \(CQ^2=y^2=40^2\) (no matter where Q actually is on Q1 or Q2) --> PQ which is the hypotenuse in PQC is equal to \(PQ^2=PC^2+CQ^2=80^2+40^2\) --> \(PQ=40\sqrt{5}\). Sufficient.

(2) The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q2 or Q3 on the diagram, and the distance between P and Q will be different for theses cases. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.


why cannot the point Q have coordinates (-30,0) in this case point Q will lie on the Diameter of the circle and the distance from point P will be 80, so aren't we getting two cases for A?
What am I missing here? Can anybody assist?
_________________

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 627

Kudos [?]: 1406 [0], given: 136

Premium Member
Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 07:01
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50, and point P has coordinates (50,0). If point Q (not shown) is on the circle, what is the length of line segment PQ ?

Note that we are told that point Q is on the circle. Also as the radius of the circle is 50 then for any point (x,y) on the circle \(x^2+y^2=50^2\) (check for more here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html) Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
Circle.png

(1) The x-coordinate of point Q is – 30 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q1 or Q2 on the diagram, but in any case the distance between P and Q is the same --> for point Q: \((-30)^2+y^2=50^2\) --> \(y^2=20*80=40^2\), so \(CQ^2=y^2=40^2\) (no matter where Q actually is on Q1 or Q2) --> PQ which is the hypotenuse in PQC is equal to \(PQ^2=PC^2+CQ^2=80^2+40^2\) --> \(PQ=40\sqrt{5}\). Sufficient.

(2) The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q2 or Q3 on the diagram, and the distance between P and Q will be different for theses cases. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.



why cannot the point Q have coordinates (-30,0) in this case point Q will lie on the Diameter of the circle and the distance from point P will be 80, so aren't we getting two cases for A?
What am I missing here? Can anybody assist?


You are forgetting that if Q is (-30,0), then the point will no longer be ON the circle. It will be IN the circle.
_________________

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Kudos [?]: 1406 [0], given: 136

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 427

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Premium Member
Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 08:50
mau5 wrote:
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50, and point P has coordinates (50,0). If point Q (not shown) is on the circle, what is the length of line segment PQ ?

Note that we are told that point Q is on the circle. Also as the radius of the circle is 50 then for any point (x,y) on the circle \(x^2+y^2=50^2\) (check for more here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html) Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
Circle.png

(1) The x-coordinate of point Q is – 30 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q1 or Q2 on the diagram, but in any case the distance between P and Q is the same --> for point Q: \((-30)^2+y^2=50^2\) --> \(y^2=20*80=40^2\), so \(CQ^2=y^2=40^2\) (no matter where Q actually is on Q1 or Q2) --> PQ which is the hypotenuse in PQC is equal to \(PQ^2=PC^2+CQ^2=80^2+40^2\) --> \(PQ=40\sqrt{5}\). Sufficient.

(2) The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q2 or Q3 on the diagram, and the distance between P and Q will be different for theses cases. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.




why cannot the point Q have coordinates (-30,0) in this case point Q will lie on the Diameter of the circle and the distance from point P will be 80, so aren't we getting two cases for A?
What am I missing here? Can anybody assist?


You are forgetting that if Q is (-30,0), then the point will no longer be ON the circle. It will be IN the circle.


Correct! Realized this just after I posted it. Although couldn't it have been more clearer if it was mentioned that point Q lies on the circumference of the circle? Just ON the circle can also mean anywhere in the circle,can it not?
_________________

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 627

Kudos [?]: 1406 [0], given: 136

Premium Member
Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 08:54
stne wrote:

Correct! Realized this just after I posted it. Although couldn't it have been more clearer if it was mentioned that point Q lies on the circumference of the circle? Just ON the circle can also mean anywhere in the circle,can it not?


No.A point lying on the circumference or a point lying on the circle is the same thing.IF it is on the circle, it can't be anywhere else.
_________________

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Kudos [?]: 1406 [0], given: 136

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 427

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Premium Member
Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 09:01
mau5 wrote:
stne wrote:

Correct! Realized this just after I posted it. Although couldn't it have been more clearer if it was mentioned that point Q lies on the circumference of the circle? Just ON the circle can also mean anywhere in the circle,can it not?


No.A point lying on the circumference or a point lying on the circle is the same thing.IF it is on the circle, it can't be anywhere else.


Let me just cement my understanding,ON and circumference is the same thing, So if it says that a point lies on the circle, it always means that the point lies on the circumference, is that correct.
_________________

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 627

Kudos [?]: 1406 [1], given: 136

Premium Member
Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 09:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
stne wrote:
mau5 wrote:
stne wrote:

Correct! Realized this just after I posted it. Although couldn't it have been more clearer if it was mentioned that point Q lies on the circumference of the circle? Just ON the circle can also mean anywhere in the circle,can it not?


No.A point lying on the circumference or a point lying on the circle is the same thing.IF it is on the circle, it can't be anywhere else.


Let me just cement my understanding,ON and circumference is the same thing, So if it says that a point lies on the circle, it always means that the point lies on the circumference, is that correct.


Yes, that is correct.Any point on the circle is a point on the circumference.
_________________

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Kudos [?]: 1406 [1], given: 136

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 427

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Premium Member
Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 09:19
mau5 wrote:
Yes, that is correct.Any point on the circle is a point on the circumference.


Thank you +1, it was an eyeopener, had been unsure about this.
_________________

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 1

Re: In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 23:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Lets look at this in another way, Equation of Circle: \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\)

Statement (1): The x-coordinate of point Q is – 30.

Substituting this in \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\),
we get y = 40 or -40

Now using distance formula,
dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{(x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (40))^2}\) or = \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(6400 + 1600)}\)
= \(\sqrt{8000}\)

So in either case, dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{8000}\). Hence, Sufficient.

Statement (2): The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40.
Substituting this in \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\),
we get x = 30 or -30

Now using distance formula,
dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{(x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\) OR = \(\sqrt{(50 - (30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(6400 + 1600)}\) OR = \(\sqrt{(400 + 1600)}\)
= \(\sqrt{8000}\) OR = \(\sqrt{2000}\)

So different answers depending on whether x = -30 or x = 30. Hence, Insufficient.

Correct Ans: A

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2013
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 23:24
kumar23badgujar wrote:
Hi,

Lets look at this in another way, Equation of Circle: \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\)

Statement (1): The x-coordinate of point Q is – 30.

Substituting this in \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\),
we get y = 40 or -40

Now using distance formula,
dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{(x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (40))^2}\) or = \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(6400 + 1600)}\)
= \(\sqrt{8000}\)

So in either case, dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{8000}\). Hence, Sufficient.

Statement (2): The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40.
Substituting this in \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\),
we get x = 30 or -30

Now using distance formula,
dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{(x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\) OR = \(\sqrt{(50 - (30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(6400 + 1600)}\) OR = \(\sqrt{(400 + 1600)}\)
= \(\sqrt{8000}\) OR = \(\sqrt{2000}\)

So different answers depending on whether x = -30 or x = 30. Hence, Insufficient.

Correct Ans: A


+1 ,Simple explanation. :-D

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 237

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2014, 23:46
HI Bunnel,

I am not clear about second statement.

(2) The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q2 or Q3 on the diagram, and the distance between P and Q will be different for theses cases. Not sufficient.

Please clarify.

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42577

Kudos [?]: 135442 [0], given: 12695

Re: figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2014, 00:12
pawankumargadiya wrote:
HI Bunnel,

I am not clear about second statement.

(2) The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40 --> point Q can be either on the position of Q2 or Q3 on the diagram, and the distance between P and Q will be different for theses cases. Not sufficient.

Please clarify.


Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 11.5 KiB | Viewed 8678 times ]
We are told that the y-coordinate of point Q is -40, so it's either on the position of Q2 or Q3. As you can see these different positions give different distances for PQ (blue and green lines).

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135442 [0], given: 12695

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 35

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 12:47
kumar23badgujar wrote:
Hi,

Lets look at this in another way, Equation of Circle: \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\)

Statement (1): The x-coordinate of point Q is – 30.

Substituting this in \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\),
we get y = 40 or -40

Now using distance formula,
dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{(x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (40))^2}\) or = \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(6400 + 1600)}\)
= \(\sqrt{8000}\)

So in either case, dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{8000}\). Hence, Sufficient.

Statement (2): The y-coordinate of point Q is – 40.
Substituting this in \(x^2 + y^2 = 2500\),
we get x = 30 or -30

Now using distance formula,
dist(P,Q) = \(\sqrt{(x - x')^2 + (y - y')^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(50 - (-30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\) OR = \(\sqrt{(50 - (30))^2 + (0 - (-40))^2}\)
= \(\sqrt{(6400 + 1600)}\) OR = \(\sqrt{(400 + 1600)}\)
= \(\sqrt{8000}\) OR = \(\sqrt{2000}\)

So different answers depending on whether x = -30 or x = 30. Hence, Insufficient.

Correct Ans: A


Do we plug the value for x and y into x and y? --> meaning for stmt 2 do we do x^2 + -40^2 = 2500?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2697

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 18:06
oh man..just made a crucial mistake and mistook x for y and y for x.

if we know X, we then can have 2 points - positive Y and negative Y. in either case, the distance from Q to P will be the same, since the points would be a reflection, and the distance would be the same.

knowing for X - we can answer the question.
knowing for Y - we can't answer, since X can be either positive or negative. 2 different values.
thus, A is sufficient.

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 14879

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 04:55
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50   [#permalink] 13 May 2017, 04:55

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the figure shown, the circle has center O and radius 50

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.