GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 22:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the jungles of Central Africa scientists has discovered a new group

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 2.95
In the jungles of Central Africa scientists has discovered a new group  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 May 2019, 03:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:41) correct 54% (01:36) wrong based on 258 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the jungles of Central Africa, scientists has discovered a new group of ferociously giant apes strengthening a surprisingly simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting a tendency for solitude.

(a) scientists has discovered a new group of ferociously giant apes strengthening a surprisingly simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting

(b) scientists have discovered a new group of ferociously giant apes strengthened by a surprising simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting

(c) scientists have discovered a new group of ferocious giant apes that eat a surprisingly simple vegetarian fare and exhibit

(d) a scientist have discovered a new group of ferocious giant apes strengthened by a surprising simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting

(e) scientists have discovered a new group of ferocious giant apes strengthened by a surprisingly simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting

Originally posted by AVINASH77 on 21 Apr 2016, 12:27.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 May 2019, 03:06, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Retired Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the jungles of Central Africa scientists has discovered a new group  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 19:39
(a) scientists has discovered a new group of ferociously giant apes strengthening a surprisingly simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting - Incorrect - Subject Verb error

(b) scientists have discovered a new group of ferociously giant apes strengthened by a surprising simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting - Incorrect - Meaning error. 'surprisingly' is required here.

(c) scientists have discovered a new group of ferocious giant apes that eat a surprisingly simple vegetarian fare and exhibit - Incorrect - Changes the meaning.

(d) a scientist have discovered a new group of ferocious giant apes strengthened by a surprising simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting - Incorrect - Subject Verb error

(e) scientists have discovered a new group of ferocious giant apes strengthened by a surprisingly simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting - Correct - 'strengthened' and 'exhibiting' are parallel and modify the apes.

Answer: E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the jungles of Central Africa scientists has discovered a new group  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 09:46
Vyshak How is C changing the meaning?
Retired Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 10:42
paidlukkha wrote:
Vyshak How is C changing the meaning?

Hi,

The original statement states that the apes were strengthened by a vegetarian diet. Option C just states that apes eat a vegetarian diet and eliminates the 'strength' aspect.

Also the strength contributed by the vegetarian diet is surprising. Its not surprising that apes eat vegetarian diet.
Intern
Intern
B
In the jungles of Central Africa scientists has discovered a new group  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 04:05
How does E maintain parallelism here? Strengthened and exhibiting don't look parallel. daagh
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 07:58
Top Contributor
rishab wrote

Quote:
How does E maintain parallelism here? Strengthened and exhibiting don't look parallel. daagh

Quote:
(e) scientists have discovered a new group of ferocious giant apes strengthened by a surprisingly simple vegetarian fare and exhibiting

You are obviously looking at strengthened and feeling it is some kind of a finite verb, while, exhibiting is a substantially different form of verb+ing, probable either a present participle or a kind of gerund.

Please note that it is 'strengthened by' and not simply 'strengthened'. It is a past participle and a modifier modifying apes. Similarly, the present participle ' exhibiting' is also a modifier modifying apes.

The foundation of participle modification is that on both sides of the conjunction one should use participles, to arrive at the intended meaning. There are umpteen examples of such usage in the GMAT official questions

You may google the following links to verify the veracity of such participle modification.

1. Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth

2. First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal

3. The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was

HTH!

P.S: This is a poor copycat of offical questions
B

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 22:48
Can anyone please explain in detail why "e" is correct and if in "b" it was surprisinly... would it be a correct answer?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 14:09
I can see why people are confused between C and E. The answer lies in what modified what. The vegetarian diet of ferocious apes is surprising! and the fact that they are strengthened by it, is part of the sentence construct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2019, 07:33
RastogiSarthak99 wrote:
I can see why people are confused between C and E. The answer lies in what modified what. The vegetarian diet of ferocious apes is surprising! and the fact that they are strengthened by it, is part of the sentence construct.

although i selected C by mistake, i now realize my answer...

between C and E, E is correct.

C : We have a SV error. The subject is "group" ..... and the prepositional phrase after of in : "of ferocious giant apes that" is not the main subject. So the verb following this should be singular
eats ... so C is out... (those who agree please reply back and confirm)

E is the better answer.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 15:20
aayush.works wrote:
RastogiSarthak99 wrote:

although i selected C by mistake, i now realize my answer...

between C and E, E is correct.

C : We have a SV error. The subject is "group" ..... and the prepositional phrase after of in : "of ferocious giant apes that" is not the main subject. So the verb following this should be singular
eats ... so C is out... (those who agree please reply back and confirm)

E is the better answer.

Yes i Agree. "Group" must follow the SV form and so C is out. Nice catch!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the jungles of Central Africa scientists has discovered a new group   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2019, 15:20

In the jungles of Central Africa scientists has discovered a new group

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics