GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 16:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

In the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 08:35
Imo A
Correct idiom is situation for
For example we say Failing to book a cab early in night is a very bad situation for you

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests
Re: In the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 00:45
sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi all,
Can anyone please elaborate more in the usage of "by the time" at the beginning of the sentence?
I am familiar with only such a form of "by the time x,y";y happen after x.However,there is no x in this context.
What is the time frame of this context?

Moreover,is the preposition "to" or "for" a split in this question?

Thanks

Your first query:

The given OA seems to be wrong.

A past perfect tense is used to depict that one event (in past perfect) happens before another event (in simple past). However the latter event need not be depicted by a verb in simple past but can be depicted by a point of time as well ( such as 3 pm or 1960s as in the given question).

By the time my father arrived, I had completed my homework. (the latter event is the arrival of my father - depicted by simple past)
By 3 pm, I had completed my homework. (the latter event is not a verb - depicted by 3 pm).

Similarly,
By late 1960's the rising number had suggested that.... should be the correct tense. (Though this would still be wrong because the suggesting happened in the late 1960's - Tet offensive in 1968.)

The simple past would be correct, if the opening prepositional phrase were "In the late 1960s" instead of "By the late 1960s".

Your second query:

The usage "winnable for" is better than "winnable to".

Hi Sayantanc2k,
the Viet Cong's coordinated surprise attack on American installations throughout the whole of Vietnam seems to be an independent clause.This appears in the middle of the sentence. My query is what does the clause modify?
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 05:28
"by the late 1960s" and "had suggested" are a great trap. The past perfect tense here is wrong; the sentence does not talk about any event prior and after 1960s.
Normally, past perfect goes with "by + time"; however, in this question, such pattern turns out to be a deadly trap.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
By the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 02:42
By the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam and the 1968 Tet Offensive, the Viet Cong's coordinated surprise attack on American installations throughout the whole of Vietnam, suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation for the United States.

A. suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation for the United States
B. suggested Vietnam to be an ultimate unwinnable situation to the United States
C. had suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation to the United States
D. suggesting Vietnam to be an ultimately unwinnable situation to the United States
E. suggesting that Vietnam was an ultimate unwinnable situation for the United States
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: By the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 02:50
Nightmare007 wrote:
By the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam and the 1968 Tet Offensive, the Viet Cong's coordinated surprise attack on American installations throughout the whole of Vietnam, suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation for the United States.

A. suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation for the United States
B. suggested Vietnam to be an ultimate unwinnable situation to the United States
C. had suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation to the United States
D. suggesting Vietnam to be an ultimately unwinnable situation to the United States
E. suggesting that Vietnam was an ultimate unwinnable situation for the United States

When looking at the start of the answer choices we are quickly able to eliminate D&E as those use "suggesting" which does not "by xy and Z ... "

B is out as it changes the meaning by using "to be" instead of "was".

When down to A & C I would eliminate "had" as it creates a tense issue, thus we are down to answer choice A.

Best regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 03:45
Nightmare007 wrote:

Merging topics. Please refer to the discussion on pages 1 and 2.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
In the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jun 2018, 23:11
Top Contributor
It looks as if the passage has been edited changing the original preposition 'by' with 'in' by the Gmatclub admin. In the 60s can go with simple past 'suggested' since it is a specific period. However, 'by the 60's' can go with past perfect 'had suggested.' Until the picture is clear, we would be just beating around the bush Perhaps a word from the author would clear the haze

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 21 Jun 2018, 07:34.
Last edited by daagh on 22 Jun 2018, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 05:04
daagh wrote:
It looks as if the passage has been edited changing the original preposition 'by' with 'in' by the Gmatclub admin to suit the OA. In the 60s can go with simple past 'suggested' since it is a specific period. However, 'by the 60's' can go with past perfect 'had suggested.' Until the picture is clear, we would be just beating around the bush Perhaps a word from the author would clear the haze

Yes sir,
That's what made me skeptical about my knowledge on usage of "By" as this requires us to use past perfect. The 1st event in past is By late 1960s. 2nd event cannot be past tense. It must be past perfect. That's why i posted this question. Now, Thanks to you i can be sure that By xyz always requires past perfect. Magoosh Mike is the author of this question.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 23:00
aditya8062 wrote:
A it is: suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation for the United States

faults in bold :

A) suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation for the United States
B) suggested Vietnam to be an ultimate unwinnable situation to the United States------------>"suggested Vietnam" seems to imply that "Vietnam" was suggested
C) had suggested that Vietnam was an ultimately unwinnable situation to the United States------------>no point using past perfect
D) suggesting Vietnam to be an ultimately unwinnable situation to the United States--------> not even a sentence
E) suggesting that Vietnam was an ultimate unwinnable situation for the United States ------------>not even a sentence

Can anyone tell , why 'had suggested' can not be used in C as attack was done before win/lost situation
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 23:31
Top Contributor
What suggested to the US that the Vietnam Project was futile were the increasing number of casualties by the late 60's and the 1968 Tet offensive by the Vietcong.
The rising number also indicates that the losses were ongoing and continuing with no end in sight.

If we use the past perfect, then these incidents must have taken place and ended in the deeper past than the realization by the US. But the incidents and the realization by the US seem to have happened concurrently. So, why do we need a past perfect?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 23:36
daagh wrote:
What suggested to the US that the Vietnam Project was futile were the increasing number of casualties by the late 60's and the 1968 Tet offensive by the Vietcong.
The rising number also indicates that the losses were ongoing and continuing with no end in sight.

If we use the past perfect, then these incidents must have taken place and ended in the deeper past than the realization by the US. But the incidents and the realization by the US seem to have happened concurrently. So, why do we need a past perfect?

Thank you Sir for your explanation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 00:49
but why in choice A, "was" not "be" is used. I think that
suggest is command verb.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 08:14

Official Explanation

A question about the 1968 Tet Offensive, a turning point in the Vietnam War.

In general, the verb “to suggest” requires the word “that” in the formal context of the GMAT. Choices (A) & (E) have the word “that,” while (B) lacks this word. Choice (C) uses the idiomatic incorrect structure “suggest X to be Y”—choice (C) is incorrect.

Choice (B), in addition to lacking the word “that,” also seems to suggest illogically that Vietnam is in the United States. Choice (B) is incorrect.

Another problem is the famous missing verb mistake. We have a compound subject, “the rising number . . . and the 1968 Tet Offensive.” That’s the subject, and it needs a verb. Choice (A), (B), and (C) supply a real verb, but (D) & (E) provide simply the participle “suggesting,” so that the whole sentence lacks a main verb. Both of those choices are incorrect.

Choice (A) is the only possible answer.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 08:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

In the late 1960s, the rising number of American casualties in Vietnam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap