Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [75]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [28]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [2]
Given Kudos: 589
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
IESE School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Re: In the nation of Pelmenia, 20% of 18-year-olds are left-handed, while [#permalink]
It is given that there is a difference in %ge of left-handed people of 18 years and elderly people (45yrs, 40 yrs). It is also given that neither percentage of children born left-handed has never changed nor the attitude of people towards them.

The question asks that among the given options which could very help to justify this difference.

Lets pre-think: what if there is some external factor which helps in justifying the observaton.
Assumption 1: what if people leave the town for job and then settle abroad.
Assumption 2: What if there is high mortality rate among the left-handed people after certain age

Let's analyze the options:
A. Wrong as qtn clearly states that percentage of children born left-handed has never changed
B. Wrong, do not help to justify why % of left handers is low for elderly people
C. Out of context
D. Corrrect matches with pre-think 2
E. Again out of context.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: In the nation of Pelmenia, 20% of 18-year-olds are left-handed, while [#permalink]
In the nation of Pelmenia, 20% of 18-year-olds are left-handed, while just 10% of 45-year-olds and 2% of 70-year-olds are left-handed. But the percentage of children born left-handed has never changed in Pelmenia, nor have societal attitudes toward left-handedness.

>> point is why the number of left handed people are falling down?

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the variation in left-handedness among Pelmenians?

A) The number of children born each year in Pelmenia has steadily increased over the past seventy years.
>>percentage is mentioned. Total number of children is irrelevant .

B) In Pelmenia, left-handers are no more likely to perish in accidents than right-handers.
>> so they have equal probabilyt of survival , so it couldn’t explain why variation in the number.

C) In Pelmenia, ambidexterity is not considered a desirable attribute.
>>so it could be an assumption to argument but doesn’t explain the variation .

D) In Pelmenia, women have a significantly lower life expectancy than men, and women are also more likely to be born left-handed.-CORRECT
>> More women are left handed and more women couldn’t survive as they grow . so it explains the variation .

E) As Pelmenians age, they become less likely to participate in surveys regarding handedness or hand dominance
>>it doesn’t tell that only left handed people don’t participate in surveys
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
souvik101990 wrote:
In the nation of Pelmenia, 20% of 18-year-olds are left-handed, while just 10% of 45-year-olds and 2% of 70-year-olds are left-handed. But the percentage of children born left-handed has never changed in Pelmenia, nor have societal attitudes toward left-handedness.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the variation in left-handedness among Pelmenians?

A) The number of children born each year in Pelmenia has steadily increased over the past seventy years.

B) In Pelmenia, left-handers are no more likely to perish in accidents than right-handers.

C) In Pelmenia, ambidexterity is not considered a desirable attribute.

D) In Pelmenia, women have a significantly lower life expectancy than men, and women are also more likely to be born left-handed.

E) As Pelmenians age, they become less likely to participate in surveys regarding handedness or hand dominance.

Left-handed people are less than right-handed people as the percentage indicated. The reason why left people as a whole is decreasing will be the answer. Option D gives us the information that women born with left-handed features have less than right-handed people so the percentage of left-handed people is less. The answer is D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [0]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
In the nation of Pelmenia, 20% of 18-year-olds are left-handed, while [#permalink]
GMATNinja I would really appreciate if you could please help here. I think option E should be correct instead of option D. Here's why:

Quote:
D) In Pelmenia, women have a significantly lower life expectancy than men, and women are also more likely to be born left-handed.
This option doesn't tell us anything about the sex ratio of Pelmenia. Suppose there are 5 women born for every 1000 men in Pelmenia. And suppose out of every 5 women born, 4 are born left-handed and out of every 1000 men born, 200 are born left-handed.

Now we can see that women are 80% (4/5) likely to be born left-handed and men are 20% (200/1000) likely to be born left-handed which is consistent with the passage that women are more likely to be born left-handed than men.

Now as we can see that since women are significantly fewer in number than men, so even if women have significantly lower life expectancy than men, it wouldn't make any difference in the %age of people who are left-handed as we progress on the age. This eliminates option D.

Quote:
E) As Pelmenians age, they become less likely to participate in surveys regarding handedness or hand dominance.
I want to quote the famous coin-toss example here. Suppose if we toss a coin infinite times, say 100,000,000,000 times we will have a 50%-50% occurence of head and tail in our sample set.

Suppose if we reduce the number of coin tosses to 100,000 we will still have something like 52%-48% occurence of head and tail in our sample set.

But if we reduce the number of tosses to a very small number say 100, we will have nowhere near 50%-50% occurence of head and tail. Maybe we will have 60 Heads and 40 Tails or 75 Heads and 25 Tails.

This is to say that as the sample space reduces, we cannot expect the reduced sample space to follow the same %age pattern as the original sample space. However, as we keep increasing the sample space, the distribution is bound to converge to a value (50-50 in this case)

This serves as a clear evidence that as Pelmenians age and become less participative in surveys regarding handedness we are bound to get skewed results in line with what's shown in the stem.

We cannot assume that a sample space of 100 Pelmenians (at the age of 70) will share the same distribution of handedness as do the 10,000,000 Pelminians (at the age of 18).

Hence, we can say that option E is the correct reason that explains why percentage of left-handed Pelmenians is getting significantly changed as we move up the age groups.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kungfury42 wrote:
GMATNinja I would really appreciate if you could please help here. I think option E should be correct instead of option D. Here's why:

Quote:
This option doesn't tell us anything about the sex ratio of Pelmenia. Suppose there are 5 women born for every 1000 men in Pelmenia. And suppose out of every 5 women born, 4 are born left-handed and out of every 1000 men born, 200 are born left-handed.

Now we can see that women are 80% (4/5) likely to be born left-handed and men are 20% (200/1000) likely to be born left-handed which is consistent with the passage that women are more likely to be born left-handed than men.

Now as we can see that since women are significantly fewer in number than men, so even if women have significantly lower life expectancy than men, it wouldn't make any difference in the %age of people who are left-handed as we progress on the age. This eliminates option D.

Quote:
I want to quote the famous coin-toss example here. Suppose if we toss a coin infinite times, say 100,000,000,000 times we will have a 50%-50% occurence of head and tail in our sample set.

Suppose if we reduce the number of coin tosses to 100,000 we will still have something like 52%-48% occurence of head and tail in our sample set.

But if we reduce the number of tosses to a very small number say 100, we will have nowhere near 50%-50% occurence of head and tail. Maybe we will have 60 Heads and 40 Tails or 75 Heads and 25 Tails.

This is to say that as the sample space reduces, we cannot expect the reduced sample space to follow the same %age pattern as the original sample space. However, as we keep increasing the sample space, the distribution is bound to converge to a value (50-50 in this case)

This serves as a clear evidence that as Pelmenians age and become less participative in surveys regarding handedness we are bound to get skewed results in line with what's shown in the stem.

We cannot assume that a sample space of 100 Pelmenians (at the age of 70) will share the same distribution of handedness as do the 10,000,000 Pelminians (at the age of 18).

Hence, we can say that option E is the correct reason that explains why percentage of left-handed Pelmenians is getting significantly changed as we move up the age groups.

Posted from my mobile device

Let's start with (E):
Quote:

In the passage, the data skews in a certain direction -- the percentage of left-handed people goes down dramatically.

(E) talks about Pelmenians in general, including both right and left-handed folks. As these Pelmenians get older, they are ALL less likely to participate in surveys. This doesn't explain the specific trend in the data that the passage describes -- why are the left-handed people in particular disappearing? (E) really doesn't give us a reason for this phenomenon.

To your point about sample size: sure, the size of your surveyed population does impact how much you should trust that data! However, (E) really doesn't give us enough to say that the sample of 45 year-olds and 70 year-olds is small enough to throw out the results. We have no idea whether the sample size went from a million to nine hundred thousand, or from a million to ten.

So, maybe if you squint sideways at it you could say that (E) implies that some of the data isn't perfectly reliable -- but it gives us nothing to explain why the percentage of left-handed people in particular is diminishing.

(Also, as a side note: the coin example is a bit off! If you flipped a coin 100,000 times, you'd expect to get heads on about 49.5% to 50.5% of those flips in over 99% of your trials. And if you flip a coin 100 times, a 75/25 split would be an extremely unlikely outlier too -- you might want to get your coin checked for fairness ;). So, while sample size definitely matters, it doesn't have as big of an effect as you might think).

Compare that to (D):
Quote:

(D) tells us that our left-handers are dying off more quickly than our right-handers, and that gives us a great explanation for why the percentage of left-handedness reduces with age.

The edge-case that you've come up with is quite extreme -- you'd really need more information to assume something so outlandish as a skewed brith ratio like the one you're describing. But even in your scenario, if the women are dying earlier than the men, you'd expect the percentage of left-handed people in the population to go down as the population ages. So, (D) would help explain the data.

And, even if you've come up with one crazy scenario that makes (D) a bit weaker, that's fine! We're looking for the answer choice that "most helps" to explain the phenomenon, so we don't need a perfect answer choice.

(D) gives us a reason that the incidence of left-handedness goes down with age, while (E) does not. So, (D) is our answer.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 535
Send PM
GMATNinja I am still not clear on why option A is not the right ans. The prompt does tell us that percentage of left-handed children has not changed over the years. I am assuming percentage here means number of left-handed children born divided by number of total children born that year multiplied by 100. In that case, if number of total children born increases then number of left-handed children would also increase even when the percentage does not change. So, younger left-handed people would be more in number.
Besides, both options D and E say that, women are more "likely" to be left-handed and older people are less "likely" to participate in such surveys respectively. In my opinion both of D and E are very similar, both are introducing new information. How are we choosing one over another?
To me, A is better option as we can prove A using data and it mentions the time frame of 70 yrs as well. Please let me know where am I going wrong.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]

Send PM
Kudos