It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the territory of Zumba Woomba, archeologists discovered

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 19

In the territory of Zumba Woomba, archeologists discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2011, 11:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:55) correct 49% (01:59) wrong based on 661 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the territory of Zumba Woomba, archeologists discovered what appear to be stone artifacts dating back 50,000 years. Analysis of the artifacts, which were discovered in a variety of locations, showed that they may have been chiseled with fragments of bone from local animals.

Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best basis for the claim that the stone artifacts are evidence of the use of bone fragments as tools by the ancient inhabitants of Zumba Woomba?

(A) Present-day inhabitants of Zumba Woomba often use bone tools to make folk artifacts.
(B) Certain types of stone are also hard enough to be used as chisels on the stone used to make the artifacts.
(C) Using patterns in the stone artifacts, archeologists have determined that some of them were cut out of the same large rock.
(D) Apart from the Zumba Woomba discovery, there is reliable evidence that humans used bone fragments as tools as many as 25,000 years ago.
(E) The stone artifacts were found in several distinct layers of earth that contained trash known to have been produced by the ancient inhabitants of Zumba Woomba.

Please provide explanation for your answer choice. I will upload OA soon. Thanks for your response.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by skbjunior on 10 Apr 2011, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 19

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 399 [1], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Zumba Woomba --> strengthen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2011, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
I think you can rule out A,B and C. lets compare D and E

D - is not right in terms of the age. Since we are talking about 50,000 years back, the evidence should allude to that time period

E - is alluding that the dust or trash found in the fragments belongs to the inhabitants. So the theory that dust is from chiseled artifacts is probably true.

Hence E.

Kudos [?]: 399 [1], given: 123

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [1], given: 115

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2011, 17:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The best answer is E.

conclusion - stone artifacts are evidence of the use of bone fragments as tools by the ancient inhabitants of Zumba Woomba?

(A) Present-day inhabitants of Zumba Woomba often use bone tools to make folk artifacts.we are concerned with ancient inhabitants
(B) Certain types of stone are also hard enough to be used as chisels on the stone used to make the artifacts.not relevant to conclusion
(C) Using patterns in the stone artifacts, archeologists have determined that some of them were cut out of the same large rock.we are not concerned with the way the artifacts are cut out
(D) Apart from the Zumba Woomba discovery, there is reliable evidence that humans used bone fragments as tools as many as 25,000 years ago.there is no mention is the passage about relationships between Zumba Woomba and humans
(E) The stone artifacts were found in several distinct layers of earth that contained trash known to have been produced by the ancient inhabitants of Zumba Woomba.best answer. supports the conclusion by saying that stone artifacts were found in trash that was produced by ancients Zumba Woomba inhabitants.

Kudos [?]: 70 [1], given: 115

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 1997 [5], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I don't understand why prep companies produce questions like this. It's just an inferior copy of an official question, and not even a well-disguised one at that:

cr-swartkans-territory-19045.html

If a test-taker has seen the official question (and if you're prepping for GMAT Verbal, you should see as many official questions as possible, since they're vastly superior to anything else), I don't see what benefit he or she gets from attempting an almost exact replica. I've been noticing many questions like this one recently, from more than one prep company, and I just hope no one is paying money for this stuff.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1997 [5], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 03:21
"E" , I marked

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 35

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2013, 00:44
bharatemail wrote:
"E" , I marked

does the colclusion says "bone were u used as tools or does it says"zulu used the tools"
in either case how does e helps .......confused

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 35

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 740 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2013, 18:15
IanStewart wrote:
I don't understand why prep companies produce questions like this. It's just an inferior copy of an official question, and not even a well-disguised one at that:

cr-swartkans-territory-19045.html

If a test-taker has seen the official question (and if you're prepping for GMAT Verbal, you should see as many official questions as possible, since they're vastly superior to anything else), I don't see what benefit he or she gets from attempting an almost exact replica. I've been noticing many questions like this one recently, from more than one prep company, and I just hope no one is paying money for this stuff.

Agree with you Ian, and worst thing is that they don't even try to change the order nor the form of answer choices!
Its ridiculous!!

Cheers!
J :)

Kudos [?]: 740 [0], given: 355

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Re: In the territory of Zumba Woomba, archeologists discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2014, 07:57
THIS QUESTION IS SIMILAR TO AN OFFICIAL QUESTION-

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE ......if compared to the official question ..is to link some physical evidence that correlates those inmates/ material used to create the artifacts with the artifacts....thereby create some evidence link....making the argument authentic though to whatever feeble degree.....

HERE "E" DOES THAT....HENCE CORRECT ANSWER....

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 70

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [1], given: 83

Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2014, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
How does E prove that 'the stone artifacts are evidence of the use of bone fragments as tools '? I mean sure the artifacts are found in the trash dating back to the same time, but how does that prove the usage of BONE as a tool?

Kudos [?]: 49 [1], given: 83

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.

Kudos [?]: 212 [1], given: 133

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
@gauravkaushik8591 : Just because the stone artifacts were found in Zoomba Woomba and dated back to 50,000 years, doesnt mean that the remains were stone artifacts made by ancient inhabitants of ZW. E bridges this gap and makes it more likely that it was the *ancient inhabitants* of ZW who made these stone artifacts.

Kudos [?]: 212 [1], given: 133

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 10:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 28

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
In the territory of Zumba Woomba, archeologists discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 12:15
AmoyV wrote:
gauravkaushik8591 : Just because the stone artifacts were found in Zoomba Woomba and dated back to 50,000 years, doesnt mean that the remains were stone artifacts made by ancient inhabitants of ZW. E bridges this gap and makes it more likely that it was the *ancient inhabitants* of ZW who made these stone artifacts.

I am still with gauravkaushik8591 on this one. I have a pretty good record with CR but this one isn't sitting right with me. I agree with your statement "makes it more likely that it was the *ancient inhabitants* of ZW who made these stone artifacts" but the passage doesn't imply that ancient inhabitants of ZW are known for using bone tools. For all I know, the stone artifacts were found in a layer of trash, and therefore creating a link between the stone artifact and the ancient ZW ancestors, but the carvings on the artifacts could have been created by another piece of stone. The part of the question gauravkaushik859 and I are getting stuck on is "... are evidence of the use of bone fragments as tools by the ancient inhabitants of Zumba Woomba?" To me, E doesn't provide that information.

May be I have to look at it through the lens of "showed that they may have been chiseled with fragments of bone from local animals" implies that they (the stone artifacts) were carved using a bone and the passage doesn't provide information about the stone artifact being connected to ZW ancestors. In this case, E would provide that link; however, if that is the case, then the question stem, IMO, should read:

"Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best basis for the claim that the stone artifacts are evidence that ancient inhabitants of Zumba Woomba may have used bone fragments as tools?"

When looking at the question in the link that Ian Stewart provided, E was the clear answer there IMO.

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 21:11
This is a such a poor replication of an official question. Sometimes I wonder if questions like these do more harm than good.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 11:05
This is a abominable question. Trash is way too general. There isn't enough linkage between E and the actual argument. When we talk about trash in everyday sense, do we think of DUST produced by stone-working!?? As many mentioned, this is a horrible replication of a question.

Insanity at its finest.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: In the territory of Zumba Woomba, archeologists discovered   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2017, 11:05

In the territory of Zumba Woomba, archeologists discovered

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap