It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the two years following the unification of Germany in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

In the two years following the unification of Germany in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2007, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:09) correct 26% (01:08) wrong based on 596 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the two years following the unification of Germany in 1989, the number of cars owned by residents of East Germany and the total distance traveled by cars in East Germany both increased by about 40 percent. In those two years, however, the number of East German residents killed each year as car occupants in traffic accidents increased by about 300 percent.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the disproportionate increase in traffic fatalities?

(A) The average number of passengers per car was higher in the years before unification than it was in the two years after.
(B) After unification, many people who had been living in East Germany relocated to West Germany.
(C) After unification, a smaller proportion of the cars being purchased by East German residents were used vehicles.
(D) Drivers who had driven little or not at all before 1989 accounted for much of the increase in the total distance traveled by cars.
(E) Over the same two-year period in East Germany, other road users, such as motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians, experienced only small increases in traffic fatalities.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

Re: In the two years following the unification of Germany in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2007, 20:43
In the two years following the unification of Germany in 1989, the number of cars owned by residents of East Germany and the total distance traveled by cars in East Germany both increased by about 40 percent. In those two years, however, the number of East German residents killed each year as car occupants in traffic accidents increased by about 300 percent.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the disproportionate increase in traffic fatalities?

(A) The average number of passengers per car was higher in the years before unification than it was in the two years after.
(B) After unification, many people who had been living in East Germany relocated to West Germany.
(C) After unification, a smaller proportion of the cars being purchased by East German residents were used vehicles.
(D) Drivers who had driven little or not at all before 1989 accounted for much of the increase in the total distance traveled by cars.
(E) Over the same two-year period in East Germany, other road users, such as motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians, experienced only small increases in traffic fatalities.

A can't be right. Had it been other way round, A might have been right. I mean if the average number of people per car was higher after the unification, that could explain the increase in the number of fatalities.

I think the answer is E. The other road users experienced only small increases in traffic fatalities. This means that the cars drivers are crashing with other cars. So, the number of fatalities per accident increase.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2007, 22:22
D inexperienced drives are causing the damage.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 0

Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2007, 22:28
This post received
KUDOS
Good explanation. But E looks best to me. Could someone please post the OA?

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2007, 00:25
mao wrote:

why not A? plese help.

(D) for me :P

I think it is not A because it does not demonstrate the high disproportion (300 % increase of accidents to 40 % increase of roads) mentioned in the text.

D reveals that the drivers covering large distances on the roads were mostly unexperienced.

:)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2007, 05:18
OA is D.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 291

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2013, 23:35
Thats right OA is D. A is opposite of the argument is talking about. E is irrelevant.

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 291

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 45

GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 11:28
(A) The average number of passengers per car was higher in the years before unification than it was in the two years after. - Reverse logic: This answer actually weakens the conclusion. Should be more passengers AFTER unification, this would be a plasible answer.

(B) After unification, many people who had been living in East Germany relocated to West Germany. - Reverse logic again: should many people relocated to EAST Germany, as opposed to West Germany, more cars would be needed, more distance would be driven and more accidents...

(C) After unification, a smaller proportion of the cars being purchased by East German residents were used vehicles. - Out of scope.

(D) Drivers who had driven little or not at all before 1989 accounted for much of the increase in the total distance traveled by cars. - Correct - This is the only answer that explains the increase in passengers.

(E) Over the same two-year period in East Germany, other road users, such as motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians, experienced only small increases in traffic fatalities. - Out of scope.

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 45

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 04:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 03:28
mao wrote:

% increase in cars and distance travelled increased by 40%; however, % increase in people killed in car accidents increased by 300%. We have to resolve the paradox

1st thought that came to my mind was that we don't know actual numbers (usually in problems dealing with % the answer has something to do with actual numbers). But let's see all options.

(A) The average number of passengers per car was higher in the years before unification than it was in the two years after. It is a weakening statement. If number of passengers were high before than the number or % would be high before unification.
(B) After unification, many people who had been living in East Germany relocated to West Germany. We are not talking about west germeny in question stem.
(C) After unification, a smaller proportion of the cars being purchased by East German residents were used vehicles. 'Smaller proportion' it was, not the large proportion.
(D) Drivers who had driven little or not at all before 1989 accounted for much of the increase in the total distance traveled by cars. Inexperienced drivers were driving the cars and that could be the reason for increased accidents.
(E) Over the same two-year period in East Germany, other road users, such as motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians, experienced oney small increases in traffic. We are concerned about cars only

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 69

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 10:16
mao wrote:
In the two years following the unification of Germany in 1989, the number of cars owned by residents of East Germany and the total distance traveled by cars in East Germany both increased by about 40 percent. In those two years, however,the number of East German residents killed each year as car occupants in traffic accidents increased by about 300 percent.

(A) average number of passengers per car = No of passengers / No of cars

If average was higher before unification then if an accident occurs the possibility of residents killed in an accident will be higher prior to unification.

So, this doesn't address the highlighted part ( Reason for increase in accidents threefold )

(B) Relocation of people can not be the cause of increase in vehicle owners and accidents.

(C) How does it matter whether the cars were new/used cars for increase in accidents.

(D) Increase in the boundaries of the country can be a reason for increaase in total distance travelled and inexperience of drivers can be the reason for rise in accidents.

(E) Data about fatalities of other vehicals is out of scope...

Hence IMHO (D).... :-D

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 327

SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 2406

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 16:24
Oh Gosh, it is hard to distinguish an option choice is out of scope and the one for the explanation. This is why I chose E, now I realize D is indeed the answer.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 81

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.25
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 04:05
mba07 wrote:

In case of option e, we aren't concerned about the situation of the other forms of the vehicles as our reference set is 'Cars'.

Also, d clearly states that these people had less experience in handling car and hence, the result was increase in number of accidents.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 81

SVP
SVP
G

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 23:32
mba07 wrote:

E is out of scope. E does not explain what accounts for the increase in accidents.

Re: In the two years following the unification of Germany in   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 23:32

In the two years following the unification of Germany in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap