GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2019, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Status: GMATINSIGHT Tutor
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2967
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 07:19
3
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:44) correct 56% (01:37) wrong based on 123 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s intercept with axis-X greater than that of line L?

1). K’s intercept with axis-Y is greater than that of L.
2). K and L have the same slope.

Good Questions also Require Kudos :)

_________________
Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2620
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 07:36
GMATinsight wrote:
In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s intercept with axis-X greater than that of line L?

1). K’s intercept with axis-Y is greater than that of L.
2). K and L have the same slope.

Good Questions also Require Kudos :)


Interesting question.

Let the equations of the lines be

k=mx+b
l = ny+c

Per the question, -b/m > -c/n ----> b/m < c/n ---> b/m - c/n < 0?

Statement 1, b>c but no information about m or n. Thus not sufficient to answer b/m - c/n < 0?

Statement 2, m =n . Not sufficient (remember that m,n can be <0 or > 0, we still dont know which!!)

Combining,

b>c and m =n

Consider these cases, let m =n=1

Then : b/1-c/1 > 0 as b>c

but

if m=n=-1

then

b/-1 - (-c/1) = -b+c < 0 (with b = 3, c = 2) . Thus we get 2 different answers from the combination of statements and thus E is the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Math is psycho-logical
Joined: 07 Apr 2014
Posts: 410
Location: Netherlands
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)
In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 01:44
So, could we say that in order to answer this question we would need to know x,y and m (so the points and the slope), for both equations? Or at least the relationship between them, eg that they are parallel or vertical, or be able to draw such a conclusion?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Status: GMATINSIGHT Tutor
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2967
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 01:58
pacifist85 wrote:
So, could we say that in order to answer this question we would need to know x,y and m (so the points and the slope), for both equations? Or at least the relationship between them, eg that they are parallel or vertical, or be able to draw such a conclusion?


I am not too clear about your question but the way I understand it I would answer it "Not necessarily."

The lines with Opposite slopes can answer the question based on comparison of their Y-Intercept
_________________
Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Math is psycho-logical
Joined: 07 Apr 2014
Posts: 410
Location: Netherlands
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)
In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 02:08
GMATinsight wrote:
pacifist85 wrote:
So, could we say that in order to answer this question we would need to know x,y and m (so the points and the slope), for both equations? Or at least the relationship between them, eg that they are parallel or vertical, or be able to draw such a conclusion?


I am not too clear about your question but the way I understand it I would answer it "Not necessarily."

The lines with Opposite slopes can answer the question based on comparison of their Y-Intercept



I think this is what I mean.. So, the lines with opposite slopes would be perpendicular. So, we would have a relationship between them, which would give us the slope.

BTW, I read this on purple math (http://www.purplemath.com/modules/slope2.htm) a while ago. Makes sense?
"The slope of the perpendicular line is the "negative reciprocal" of the slope of the original line — and two lines with slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other are perpendicular to each other. In numbers, if the one line's slope is m = 4/5, then the perpendicular line's slope will be m = –5/4. If the one line's slope is m = –2, then the perpendicular line's slope will be m = 1/2".
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Status: GMATINSIGHT Tutor
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2967
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jul 2015, 05:17
pacifist85 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
pacifist85 wrote:
So, could we say that in order to answer this question we would need to know x,y and m (so the points and the slope), for both equations? Or at least the relationship between them, eg that they are parallel or vertical, or be able to draw such a conclusion?


I am not too clear about your question but the way I understand it I would answer it "Not necessarily."

The lines with Opposite slopes can answer the question based on comparison of their Y-Intercept



I think this is what I mean.. So, the lines with opposite slopes would be perpendicular. So, we would have a relationship between them, which would give us the slope.

BTW, I read this on purple math (http://www.purplemath.com/modules/slope2.htm) a while ago. Makes sense?
"The slope of the perpendicular line is the "negative reciprocal" of the slope of the original line — and two lines with slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other are perpendicular to each other. In numbers, if the one line's slope is m = 4/5, then the perpendicular line's slope will be m = –5/4. If the one line's slope is m = –2, then the perpendicular line's slope will be m = 1/2".


Ofcourse it makes sense. That the basic property of Slopes of two perpendicular lines

Property-1: Slopes of the parallel line will always be equal i.e. \(m_1 = m_2\)

Property-2: Product of Slopes of two Perpendicular lines will always be equal to -1 i.e. \(m_1*m_2 = -1\)
_________________
Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Originally posted by GMATinsight on 27 Jul 2015, 04:32.
Last edited by GMATinsight on 27 Jul 2015, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2620
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 04:54
GMATinsight wrote:

Ofcourse it makes sense. That the basic property of Slopes of two perpendicular lines

Property-1: Slopes of the parallel line will always be equal i.e. \(m_1 = m_2\)

Property-2: Product of Slopes of two Perpendicular lines will always be equal i.e. \(m_1*m_2 = -1\)


GMATinsight, I think you meant "negative reciprocal of each other". Product of slopes of 2 mutually perpendicular lines can not be "equal".
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Status: GMATINSIGHT Tutor
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2967
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 05:19
Engr2012 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:

Ofcourse it makes sense. That the basic property of Slopes of two perpendicular lines

Property-1: Slopes of the parallel line will always be equal i.e. \(m_1 = m_2\)

Property-2: Product of Slopes of two Perpendicular lines will always be equal i.e. \(m_1*m_2 = -1\)


GMATinsight, I think you meant "negative reciprocal of each other". Product of slopes of 2 mutually perpendicular lines can not be "equal".


I was representing the relation in a way \(m_1*m_2 = -1\) so missed the last letters in red "Product of the slopes of two perpendicular lines will be equal to -1"
_________________
Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Dec 2016
Posts: 14
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: ISB '19 (D)
Re: In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 05:52
This question is asking for X intercept. I understand that its asking for absolute value. Please suggest
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57083
Re: In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 06:01
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 110
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 11:42
Engr2012 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s intercept with axis-X greater than that of line L?

1). K’s intercept with axis-Y is greater than that of L.
2). K and L have the same slope.

Good Questions also Require Kudos :)


Interesting question.

Let the equations of the lines be

k=mx+b
l = ny+c

Per the question, -b/m > -c/n ----> b/m < c/n ---> b/m - c/n < 0?

Statement 1, b>c but no information about m or n. Thus not sufficient to answer b/m - c/n < 0?

Statement 2, m =n . Not sufficient (remember that m,n can be <0 or > 0, we still dont know which!!)

Combining,

b>c and m =n

Consider these cases, let m =n=1

Then : b/1-c/1 > 0 as b>c

but

if m=n=-1

then

b/-1 - (-c/1) = -b+c < 0 (with b = 3, c = 2) . Thus we get 2 different answers from the combination of statements and thus E is the correct answer.


I did not understand this explanation. Firstly, The equation of a straight line should contain both x and y parameters. But the equations assumed here are different. One equation has x and other one has y.

Secondly, I did not understand this inference that we need to find that whether the below relation is true or not -

b/m - c/n < 0?

As per my opinion, the ans should be C because if two lines are having same slope then they are parallel. So, because Y intercept for the line K is > Y intercept of line L, so X intercept of line K should be > X intercept of line L. Clear and simple. Please let me know if I am missing anything.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 12034
Re: In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 11:59
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2018, 11:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the xy-plane, both line K and L intersect with axis-X. Is K’s inter

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne