Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 24 Jul 2019, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Inconsistencies in the verbal score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 2.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Inconsistencies in the verbal score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 06:11
Hey Guys,

So, for the past couple of weeks my verbal scores have gone haywire.
My scores :

Veritas Cat 1 680 50 33
Veritas Cat 2 610 48 26
Veritas Cat 3 630 47 30
Veritas Cat 4 670 47 35
Veritas Cat 5 670 47 35
Veritas Cat 6 630 47 30 (given today)

My scores on egmat verbal scolaranium ability quizes are even worse. Below are my ability scores from the last 5 verbal ability tests:
78 (given 5 days back)

I have already exhausted the official prep material a long time back. So, i am unable to gauge my exact score.
I would mean a ton if anybody could advise me on this. I have scheduled my exam 2 weeks from now. I aim to score atleast a 710.
Also, does anybody has any idea about how egmat's ability scores compares with actual gmat score?

VeritasKarishma egmat would love to hear your thoughts on this.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Inconsistencies in the verbal score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 06:33
No test prep company could successfully model its scoring algorithm after the GMAT Prep. Therefore, I would strongly advise you to take a GMAT Prep practice test, to gauge your verbal performance. All the best!

Game of Timers - Join the Competition to Win Prizes
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 06:37
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
No test prep company could successfully model its scoring algorithm after the GMAT Prep. Therefore, I would strongly advise you to take a GMAT Prep practice test, to gauge your verbal performance. All the best!

I have already exhausted all my official tests. :(
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 15:38
Hi Akshay,

About 3 weeks ago, you posted a similar message, but you didn't provide much information about your studies or your 3 prior Official Scores. If you've been consistently scoring lower on your Official GMATs (over multiple attempts) than you have been on your practice CATs, then there are likely issues that you have not properly defined or addressed in how you're studying - and how you're handling Test Day itself. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) On what dates did you take each of your Official GMATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) How long did you study before each of your attempts?
3) What study materials have you used over the course of all of your studies?
4) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs over the last 2 months (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 21:01
Akshay. wrote:
I have already exhausted the official prep material a long time back. So, i am unable to gauge my exact score.
I would mean a ton if anybody could advise me on this. I have scheduled my exam 2 weeks from now. I aim to score atleast a 710.
That's a tough situation to be in, but I think that if I were you, I'd focus on the actual exam. Use the scores you mentioned in your post as broad indicators of how you are likely to perform on the GMAT, but don't worry too much about just how accurate they are. At the end of the day, even the estimates that the official practice tests generate are not perfect (they are just better than the estimates that non-official tests generate).

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 22:00
Akshay. wrote:
Hey Guys,

So, for the past couple of weeks my verbal scores have gone haywire.
My scores :

Veritas Cat 1 680 50 33
Veritas Cat 2 610 48 26
Veritas Cat 3 630 47 30
Veritas Cat 4 670 47 35
Veritas Cat 5 670 47 35
Veritas Cat 6 630 47 30 (given today)

My scores on egmat verbal scolaranium ability quizes are even worse. Below are my ability scores from the last 5 verbal ability tests:
78 (given 5 days back)

Also, does anybody has any idea about how egmat's ability scores compares with actual gmat score?

VeritasKarishma egmat would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Akshay, I wouldn't worry too much about the scores. The primary aim of taking practice tests is "identifying weaknesses". I say this to my students regarding practice test scores - lower the score, more the errors (generally speaking), more weaknesses identified.
This leads to better covering of bases and better preparedness for the actual test. Hence, getting more questions wrong in the practice tests is a blessing. Toughest is for the person who scores brilliantly in practice tests but bombs in the actual test.
So use the lower scores as an opportunity - learn from your mistakes to be better prepared for the test.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 08:29
Hi Akshay,

Are you also looking for some general advice on how to improve your GMAT verbal skills?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 01:51
akshay.

How did things go with your prep? I found veritas tougher than what i expected also.

+1 Kudos if you like my post pls!
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 03:51
dcummins wrote:
akshay.

How did things go with your prep? I found veritas tougher than what i expected also.

dcummins

Veritas verbal is indeed tougher than GMAT(as per my experince).
My background is i have already attempted Gmat 4 times and everytime i have failed miserably (barely scored 650). Last time before test, I had an average score of Q46 and V35 in Manhattan CATs. I ended with Q47 and V30 in Gmat 4th attempt that was last year December. Getting a score of 700+ in GMAT has been my dream for almost 3 years now.
Since i have already given 4 attempts(3 of which were in this running year), I can give 2 more and then it's over. I am being extra cautious this time(Kinda procastinating too ,since deadlines are 2 months away). Now my exam is scheduled on 16th July. Yesterday i gave one verbal ability test on egmat . Scored 76% ability(around V35).
I am solely focusing on official SCs, LSAT CRs and LSAT RCs. (I have exhausted all the material for CR and RC)
For Quant I have been doing medium, hard and very hard questions from Egmat. Very hard questions as the name suggests are hard(not able to complete question in 5 mintues).

Let's see how it goes.
Would love to hear your advice
VeritasKarishma egmat dcummins
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 03:56
Akshay. wrote:
dcummins wrote:
akshay.

dcummins

My background is i have already attempted Gmat 4 times and everytime i have failed miserably (barely scored 650). Last time before test, I had an average score of Q46 and V35 in Manhattan CATs. I ended with Q47 and V30 in Gmat 4th attempt that was last year December. Getting a score of 700+ in GMAT has been my dream for almost 3 years now.
Since i have already given 4 attempts(3 of which were in this running year), I can give 2 more and then it's over. I am being extra cautious this time(Kinda procastinating too ,since deadlines are 2 months away). Now my exam is scheduled on 16th July. Yesterday i gave one verbal ability test on egmat . Scored 76% ability(around V35).
I am solely focusing on official SCs, LSAT CRs and LSAT RCs. (I have exhausted all the material for CR and RC)
For Quant I have been doing medium, hard and very hard questions from Egmat. Very hard questions as the name suggests are hard(not able to complete question in 5 mintues).

Let's see how it goes.

You actually get 8 lifetime tries, 5 in 1 year so be sure to plan it properly or reschedule if you aren't hitting your score.

and dude... don't put so much pressure on yourself.

How are you scoring on official gmat prep CATs?

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 04:20
dcummins wrote:
Akshay. wrote:
dcummins wrote:
akshay.

dcummins

Let's see how it goes.

You actually get 8 lifetime tries, 5 in 1 year so be sure to plan it properly or reschedule if you aren't hitting your score.

and dude... don't put so much pressure on yourself.

How are you scoring on official gmat prep CATs?

I have attempted almost all the questions from GMATprep. I gave one official 5-6 months back got a Q49 V38(not representative as some of the questions were repeated).
There is no point in giving the official tests.
Right now my plan is to keep my focus this week to the improvements and in the weekend give the last Veritas CAT.
If it goes well. I will go ahead and give my exam on 16th or reschdule for another 2 weeks.

dcummins as per your several posts , I can see you are also trying to evaluate the Veriats CATs score vs Actual gmat score. As far as my research goes on this topic veritas states on it's site that Students have scored on an average +30points on the actual GMAT. I think this is more or less true. But if you find out something. Please do let me know or tag me.
Thanks

(Love Broly BTW)
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 04:29
Akshay. wrote:
Original Post ABOVE

Thanks man haha.

Yea I've read a lot of people score above 700 on gmat prep but can't break 700 on Veritas lol.. so the general advice i've been given (Repeatedly lol) is to just use these tests to improve my test taking abilities!

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 04:35
dcummins wrote:
Akshay. wrote:
Original Post ABOVE

Thanks man haha.

Yea I've read a lot of people score above 700 on gmat prep but can't break 700 on Veritas lol.. so the general advice i've been given (Repeatedly lol) is to just use these tests to improve my test taking abilities!

As you can see above that exactly what has been recommended to be me also. :D
I feel like we are in the same boat.
My first gmat score was 490.
I have been studing and improving from 2 years now(on and off).
Also, quick advice if you are planning to buy Veritas CATs keep a look out for sale.
Price drops from $49 to $19.
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 04:40
Akshay. wrote:
dcummins wrote:
Akshay. wrote:
Original Post ABOVE

Thanks man haha.

As you can see above that exactly what has been recommended to be me also. :D
I feel like we are in the same boat.
My first gmat score was 490.
I have been studing and improving from 2 years now(on and off).
Also, quick advice if you are planning to buy Veritas CATs keep a look out for sale.
Price drops from $49 to $19.

Hey mate, don't put so much pressure on yourself. Its not the end of the world trust me.

You just need to really ensure you're in the right mental space before you sit the test.

Guess what? I'm sitting the test 3 days after you.
Guess what? I scored a 430 on my first diagnostic test LOL!
Guess what? I'm sitting a practice CAT this week sometime.

And...Guess what? If I do or don't sit the test I'm still going to wake up and be breathing. I'm still going to walk away smarter than what I was had I not started this journey.

Mentally you must believe you can do this thing before you physically start it. Otherwise the journey will never reach prosperity.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 04:45
Thanks mate for the encouring words.
I sincerly hope and pray you are able to achieve a 730 (your dream score).
Best of luck.
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 05:17
Akshay. wrote:
Thanks mate for the encouring words.
I sincerly hope and pray you are able to achieve a 730 (your dream score).
Best of luck.

Thanks man I appreciate it. I'll keep in my prayers also.

Not a lot of people go on to achieve the feat you and I have set to do. 400s to 700s is a huge mountain to climb man. I started back in 2017 myself and I can tell you it's taught me more about myself than anything other challenge i've set to accomplish.

The test is beatable, so if you don't know something now it's just a matter of time. Keep reminding yourself that.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Inconsistencies in the verbal score   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2019, 05:17

Inconsistencies in the verbal score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep