Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 10:35 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 10:35
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3541 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4745 [1]
Given Kudos: 666
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun EducationAisle

Can we use "unlike" and "though" in the same sentence? Isn't there a redundancy issue ?

Hi Namangupta1997,

As EducationAisle points out, though can also be used to mean ~however. That meaning is possible when though is used as a conjunction, but it's also possible when though is used as an adverb. Keeping that in mind, look at the sentence like this:

1. ABC; however, DEF. ← Replacing though with however and moving it to the front of the second clause makes the sentence easier to read. The important point is that the contrast is between ABC and DEF.

Now, within DEF, we see this structure:

2. Unlike X, YUnlike is not for ABC and DEF. Instead, it's for statutory employees (which is followed by independent contractors).

Putting (1) and (2) together, we get:

3. {ABC}; however, {unlike X, Y}.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4694 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun EducationAisle

Can we use "unlike" and "though" in the same sentence? Isn't there a redundancy issue ?

Hello Namangupta1997,

We hope this finds you well.

As other experts have pointed out, the use of "unlike" alongside "though" in this sentence does not lead to a redundancy issue.

We would like to raise an additional point: redundancy is a demerit in GMAT, but it is not a valid basis for disqualifying an answer choice; an answer choice may feature redundancy but still be correct; redundancy should only be taken into consideration when there are multiple error-free answer choices.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
in C] how to correctly use the expression- '' than are statutory employees''

what is wrong with 'are' above
Own Kudos [?]: 4694 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mansianand1234 wrote:
in C] how to correctly use the expression- '' than are statutory employees''

what is wrong with 'are' above

Hello mansianand1234,

To answer your query, the "are" needs to come before "paid"; the contractors are the object of the action "paid", meaning the verb is in the passive form; thus, "paid" is the past participle form of "pay" and must be paired with an active verb, such as "is", "are", "were", etc.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Send PM
GMATNinja - I am really seeking your answer on this one. I have wrapped my head around a lot. but not sure how to differentiate between B and D? Is the verb comparison in D not correct?

To simplify - which of the two constructions below are correct:
- A pays more than B
- A pay more than B does
Send PM
Expert Reply
kittle wrote:
GMATNinja - I am really seeking your answer on this one. I have wrapped my head around a lot. but not sure how to differentiate between B and D? Is the verb comparison in D not correct?

- A pays more than B
- A pay more than B does

Hello kittle,

To answer your query, the error in Option D is the use of "in addition"; the ideas presented in the two clauses contrast one another - the first points out a disadvantage independent contractors face and the second points out an advantage; thus, we need a conjunction that conveys contrast, such as "though" on Option B.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64573 [0]
Given Kudos: 1823
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
kittle wrote:

- A pays more than B
- A pay more than B does

It looks like the parallelism is the kicker here:

(D) "Independent contractors (1) pay higher taxes and (2) are paid less consistently than are statutory employees..."

If we try to match up "pay higher taxes" with the "than" part, we get, "Independent contractors pay higher taxes than ARE statutory employees..." That doesn't work. We need, "Independent contractors pay higher taxes THAN statutory employees," and that's exactly what we get in (B).

You might be asking yourself, "Well, why does the 'than' part have to go with the first item in the list?" Without it, we have, "Independent contractors pay higher taxes," and that doesn't work by itself because it leaves us wondering, "higher taxes than what or who?"

It's an unofficial question, so please don't stress over it too much!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently [#permalink]
I narrowed it down to B & D. Howerev, I couldn't choose between them now as it feels like there is no major flaw in D.
Pls Help.

Originally posted by jim441 on 23 Nov 2022, 05:44.
Last edited by jim441 on 24 Nov 2022, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66808 [0]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
I narrowed it down to B & D. Howerev, I can't choose between them now as it feels like there is no major flaw in D.
Pls Help.

There are many things off in option (D).

Independent contractors pay higher taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.

'and' joins 'pay higher taxes' and 'are paid less consistently'

Independent contractors pay higher taxes than are statutory employees. (Incorrect)
Independent contractors are paid less consistently than are statutory employees. (Ok)
The two don't work with the rest of the sentence.

In option (B), both work properly.

The use of 'though' is far better than the use of 'in addition' because we are showing a contrast. The cons of being an independent contractor versus the pros of being one.

Also, I dislike the use of 'freely' here.
These are different sentences:
Now you can freely perform (the dance in a free manner, say).
Now you are free to perform (no constraints on what you are allowed to do and what not).
The intent is to give the second meaning. So option (B) is better.
Send PM
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
I narrowed it down to B & D. Howerev, I can't choose between them now as it feels like there is no major flaw in D.
Pls Help.

Hello jim441,

To answer your query, the primary error in Option D is the use of "in addition"; the ideas presented in the two clauses contrast one another - the first points out a disadvantage independent contractors face and the second points out an advantage; thus, we need a conjunction that conveys contrast, such as "though" on Option B.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
In option D and E, doesnt unlike by itself showcases contrast? Cause I used this logic to eliminate B due to redundancy issue (option B includes both unlike and though)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShaunakSawant wrote:
In option D and E, doesnt unlike by itself showcases contrast? Cause I used this logic to eliminate B due to redundancy issue (option B includes both unlike and though)

Hello ShaunakSawant,

To answer your query, "unlike" is not sufficient to convey the necessary sense of contrast in Options D and E, as the sentence needs to draw contrast at two separate points: it needs to draw a contrast between independent contractors and statutory employees, and it needs to draw a contrast between the conditions of the two. One part of the intended meaning is the comparison between the advantages and disadvantages that independent contractors and statutory employees have.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 539
Send PM
Independent contractors pay higher taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.

(A) taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely

parallelism error. "pay higher taxes" is parallel to "are paid less" but not parallel to "they may". Also, the use of "and" doesn't bring out the contrast evident in the sentence

(B) taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to

bingo! correct. contrast word - "though" brings out the intended contrast. comparison between nouns is concise.

(C) taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to

no verb before paid results in an SV-error.

(D) taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely

The only problem I see in this option is the use of "in addition". The sentence requires a contrast word - independent contractors pay higher taxes, get paid inconsistently, BUT can freely perform same type of work for different businesses.

The use of "are" before statutory employees is unnecessary, but it isn't wrong.
IC are paid less than Y - comparison between two nouns.
IC are paid less than are (paid) SE - comparison between actions (but since both are in the same tense, the use of "are" is unnecessary)

(E) taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees; moreover, unlike statutory employees, they are allowed to

no verb before paid results in an SV-error.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts