Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [143]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [17]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [12]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [9]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Re: Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi,

Let us see if I can help...

Here is the full sentence for D:

Independent contractors pay higher taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.

I've highlighted in red the 2 pieces that are not paralel.

The 'are' with statutory employees should be the same form as the first 3 words, and it is not so we should not have it. It's a tricky question because you have the 'are' repeated, but the first 'are' is not linked to the second one so they do not need to be the same construction.

Does that help?!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
iamitgoyal wrote:
Independent contractors pay higher taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.

A taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely

B taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to

C taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to

D taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely

E taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees; moreover, unlike statutory employees, they are allowed to

Here two things are happening: one, we are talking about contractors and how they are at an disadvantage vis-avis regular employees and two, how the contractors reduce the disadvantage by the doing the same work for different businesses.

A: The list is wrong. It is trying to show a list of 3 things whereas the reality is that the list is of two things - the disadvantages faced by the contractors.
B. Correct. The list is correct and contrast is shown by showing the advantage of the contractors vis-a-vis regular employees.
C. Parallelism error across the AND - its is shown as verb versus modifier but it should be verb versus verb.
D. Incorrect comparison. Comparing noun (Independent contractor) versus verb + noun (are employees).
E. Parallelism error across the AND - its is shown as verb versus modifier but it should be verb versus verb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Krannert '17
Send PM
Kudos
Independent contractors pay higher taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.

A taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely
B taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to
C taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to
D taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely
E taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees; moreover, unlike statutory employees, they are allowed to

Analysis:

A. Comma before 'and' says its a list, but the 3rd element has 'they' and hence it breaks parallelism. Drop A.
B. Two independent clauses joined by ; Second shows a bit contrast than first and hence uses 'though'. Hmm, okay, keep it aside.
C. Pay and paid are not llel as they are joined by ''and', same is the case in E (a quick look); Drop C and E.
D. Two independet clauses are joined by ; Grammetically its ok, but consider the meaning: here, the forst sentence says a disadvantage for Independent contractors and second sentence says opposite of it, but it begins with ' in addition' that imply continuity of thought introduced in 1st. Drop D.

Thus, OAB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [7]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.
a.taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to
b.taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to
c.taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely
d.taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely
e.taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees; moreover, unlike statutory employees, they are allowed to

I have a doubt about this question, please help me out :

Official answer is B

Independent contractors pay higher taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.

I learnt that after " ;" it should be a clause but " unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to perform the same type of work for multiple businesses " from my view is a dependent clause since though is a starting of a dependent clause. So Why B is still correct? I think B is correct when using " ," instead of " ;" . Please help me? Where did i get wrong?

Thank you so much in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
iamitgoyal wrote:

I marked D as an answer and didnot understand the explanation given " The helping verb to be (appearing here as are) cannot be used to stand for an action verb, so the construction are statutory employees is not parallel to pay higher taxes" . Can someone explain the concept behind not using "are" before "statutory employees in option D ? Also can someone the usage of "though" if already "unlike" is there to show the contrast

What is the verb in the 2nd sentence in option B. Introduction of ';' needs complete sentences on both the sides of ';'.
Doesnt the introduction of 'Though' make the sentence, a fragment?

I agree comparison in D is bad. But D is better than not having a verb as in B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Kudos
sagarbuss wrote:

What is the verb in the 2nd sentence in option B. Introduction of ';' needs complete sentences on both the sides of ';'.
Doesnt the introduction of 'Though' make the sentence, a fragment?

I agree comparison in D is bad. But D is better than not having a verb as in B.

No. Introduction of 'though' does not make it a fragment. A sentence is a fragment when it lacks a main clause. Here, we have two independent clauses (the second one made subordinate to the first). Please correct me if im wrong here.

Sorry, i couldn't understand your query 'I agree comparison in D is bad. But D is better than not having a verb as in B'. I see, the second part of B is complete:-
Firstly,
... unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to.
Subject: independent contractors
Verb: are free

Am i missing anything?

Secondly,
The problem of comparison in D is not bad but its incorrect. Good enough to strike that option off :)

Now, lets talk about the later halves of choices B and D. We agree that both of them are (supposed to be) complete sentences that can stand on their own. Now, Lets do some meaning analysis first.

Idea presented in the 1st part:
Independent contractors pay higher taxes than statutory employees and in return get lesser.
Main idea: Independent contractors are at loss and statutory employees are benefited.

Idea presented in the 2nd part:
Independent contractors are free to perform something that statutory employees aren't.
Main idea: Independent contractors are benefited and statutory employees are at loss.

Conclusion: Both parts are present contrasting information.

Now coming to B and D:

B unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to perform the same type of work for multiple businesses
subordinator: Though. Though is capable of setting up contrast. Correct usage as it is showing contrast
S-V pair. Taken care of

D in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely perform the same type of work for multiple businesses
coordinating conjunction: In addition. In addition is used to present similar thoughts/ideas as were presented in the earlier part of the sentence. Here, its usage is incorrect as we need to show contrast.
S-V pair: Taken care of.

Therefore B makes perfect sense and D is wrong for multiple reasons.

Please correct me if im wrong.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [2]
GPA: 3.62
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
littlegirl wrote:
Independent contractors pay higher taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.
a.taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees, but they, unlike statutory employees, are freely allowed to
b.taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to
c.taxes, are paid less consistently than statutory employees, and, unlike statutory employees, they may freely
d.taxes and are paid less consistently than are statutory employees; in addition, unlike statutory employees, independent contractors can freely
e.taxes and paid less consistently than are statutory employees; moreover, unlike statutory employees, they are allowed to
I have a doubt about this question, please help me out :

Official answer is B

Independent contractors pay higher taxes and are paid less consistently than statutory employees; unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to perform the same type of work for multiple businesses.

I learnt that after " ;" it should be a clause but " unlike statutory employees, though, independent contractors are free to perform the same type of work for multiple businesses " from my view is a dependent clause since though is a starting of a dependent clause. So Why B is still correct? I think B is correct when using " ," instead of " ;" . Please help me? Where did i get wrong?
Thank you so much in advance.

littlegirl -

Think of it this way - a semi-colon separates two independent thoughts and thus, you should have two clauses that can stand on their own on each side of it. One trick I use to determine if the use of a semi-colon is correct is to mentally remove the semi-colon and substitute a conjunction (and, but, or, so, etc.). If the sentence is correct using the conjunction, then the semi-colon is correct.

In the sentence above, if you use a comma instead of a semi-colon, you would create a comma-splice which is grammatically incorrect. Let me know if you have any additional questions or if you need some further explanation on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
Send PM
VeritasPrepDennis

Can you please explain me why "are" is incorrect before Statutory employees in options A,D and E

Thanks in advance :)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [3]
GPA: 3.62
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos