GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 00:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Indian IT Male Age 35 - 13 interviews, 4 admits, 2 full scholarships

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Indian IT Male Age 35 - 13 interviews, 4 admits, 2 full scholarships  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 09:25
Hi himpuju, very well written. Welcome back to the UK and good luck with the Oxford MBA.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: Indian IT Male Age 35 - 13 interviews, 4 admits, 2 full scholarships  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 10:20
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Indian IT Male Age 35 - 13 interviews, 4 admits, 2 full scholarships  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 22:41
Hey Himpuju,
Hope Oxford MBA is treating you well.

Thanks for your admits and so generously sharing your experience here.

Just had a question on Emory 1 year MBA- by any chance would you happen to research this program thoroughly? could you speak to current indian students there? How is the placement for indian students? HOw is Emory brand value in India and globally? etc
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 03:53
Thanks for the great story. Can you share the name of the consultant you worked with?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 17:43
Manager
Manager
Indian IT Male Age 35 - 13 interviews, 4 admits, 2 full scholarships  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 08:56
Hi All,

Back after one and half year. I wanted to conclude with my MBA and post-MBA experience as this will give a holistic view to prospective candidates as not too many students share their post-MBA experience here. If you want you can read about my GMAT, TOEFL and application experience posts given in my signature below.

So, I completed my MBA course from Said Business School, University of Oxford in September 2017 and got my degree a few days back. It was a one year intensive course which includes 3 terms of 3 months each and a 2 month summer period where you can do either two electives or internship or a strategic consulting project. However, it was not so intensive that you cannot travel to places during holidays or enjoy with your friends. There was always time for that and I enjoyed getting back my academic life after 12 years of professional experience. The main takeaway from the course is the students, the friends you make during the journey. It was really great, getting to know more than 300 people from around 60 different countries and that made the discussions in and out of the classroom really interesting. It’s not that you will become close friends with every one of them, but the batch as a whole was really helpful and cheerful. The faculties were mostly excellent, however, you always have some exceptions and different ideas about teaching. In my view, the positives were lot more than the negatives. Above all, the University of Oxford really awes you. You can feel the history of this 800 year old institution whenever you get out of the B-school. The college system and dinners were great.

The only drawback was the careers team. In my view, they were not proactive enough to help students getting the jobs they wanted. It’s partly hard because of the job situation in UK as well. There are not many good jobs, especially the visa situation is really grim for international students. However, if you are proactive enough and really try hard, you can get a job as an international student. It might not be your dream job, but you can certainly start your career in UK. If you go back to your country then you can get very good jobs because the Oxford brand really works well. Many Indian student in our batch has gone to Amazon in Europe and people got jobs in other good companies such as EY, Expedia, Accenture. Many people have joined McKinsey in their home country. Indian student got good opportunities in Deloitte, Uber, Swiggy etc in India. I have joined a big pharma in a senior IT and Supply Chain role in Belgium and I am really happy about it. It was the kind of role I was expecting after my MBA and I have changed geography, function and industry, which requires a bit of luck. Overall, the MBA decision was a turning point in my life and I am happy that I took that decision. The post-MBA journey has just only started and I know there will be obstacles in future but I think the MBA experience will surely help me overcome those.

Thanks for being with me till now. I hope the information provided here is helpful for future candidates. I will be more than happy to answer your queries through a comment here or through PM. Please note, I am not regular in GMATClub since a long time now. So there might be a delay in response.

BR,
Himpuju.

My Oxford MBA Experience - https://gmatclub.com/forum/know-more-about-oxford-said-business-school-be-the-next-oxonian-241819.html
My GMAT Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/indian-it-male-age-34-760-q50-v41-awa-6-in-first-attempt-219948.html
My Application Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/indian-it-male-age-35-13-interview-4-admits-2-full-scholarships-219953.html#p1695073
My TOEFL Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-score-of-112-in-3-days-indian-candidate-219952.html

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 10:53
Thank you himpuju for coming back to post about your Said Experience!

Congratulations on getting the job you always wanted - that's fantastic to get right out of MBA. If you don't mind me asking, what channel did you find the job through? Was it networking with Alums, or Career Services, or Just applied cold?

Thanks and again congratulations!
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 18:47
himpuju

Thank you so much for sharing complete experience with MBA, right from your gmat debrief, to your crucial decision
to choose between IIM - A and Oxford and finally your POST MBA experience was very informative.

Quote:
It was the kind of role I was expecting after my MBA and I have changed geography, function and industry, which requires a bit of luck. Overall, the MBA decision was a turning point in my life and I am happy that I took that decision.

What specific advise would you like to give for older candidates (read 30-35 bracket)
that could help them make transitions which you did and to help them distinguish themselves
from the crowd

Once again, all the very best in your new career and do chip in whenever you find free time.
It was an awesome experience to read about your posts.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 01:56
bb wrote:
Thank you himpuju for coming back to post about your Said Experience!

Congratulations on getting the job you always wanted - that's fantastic to get right out of MBA. If you don't mind me asking, what channel did you find the job through? Was it networking with Alums, or Career Services, or Just applied cold?

Thanks and again congratulations!
BB

Thanks bb. It was a cold application, so plenty of luck there. But the role was perfectly suited to my experience, it asked for MBAs with 10+ years experience of my kind. I ensured that most of the cold applications I was making was really looking for the specific experience I have. This role was probably the closest match.

BR,
Himpuju.

My Oxford MBA Experience - https://gmatclub.com/forum/know-more-about-oxford-said-business-school-be-the-next-oxonian-241819.html
My GMAT Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/indian-it-male-age-34-760-q50-v41-awa-6-in-first-attempt-219948.html
My Application Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/indian-it-male-age-35-13-interview-4-admits-2-full-scholarships-219953.html#p1695073
My TOEFL Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-score-of-112-in-3-days-indian-candidate-219952.html

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 02:04
Thanks adkikani. For people who are looking to get an MBA after 30, my advice will be to stay really motivated to persist on their target, get a good GMAT score, research and apply to schools that are not agnostic about older candidates and post-MBA, look for jobs that are close match to their previous experience or accept that they may need to go for a junior role if they want to completely change function and industry.

BR,
Himpuju.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Indian IT Male Age 35 - 13 interviews, 4 admits, 2 full scholarships &nbs [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 02:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Indian IT Male Age 35 - 13 interviews, 4 admits, 2 full scholarships

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap