GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2011, 12:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:32) correct 14% (01:34) wrong based on 279 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and dry in the major orange-growing regions of Florida, the state accounting for the largest share of orange production in the United States. While hot and dry weather usually leads to a substantial drop in the yield of oranges, my projections indicate that the revenues of Florida orange producers will not be substantially affected by these unfavorable conditions.

Which of the following statements, if true, would support the claim of the Industry Analyst?

a) This summer, Florida orange producers will employ a large number of migrant workers, a strategy that will substantially decrease their labor costs.

b) Because of the hot and dry weather, the costs of irrigation for Florida orange growers will be nearly 30% higher this summer.

c) The decline in the supply of oranges caused by the unfavorable weather will result in a substantial increase in their market price.

d) The hot weather is likely to increase the revenues of companies engaged in tourism and recreation that comprise the largest portion of the state economy.

e) The weather in Georgia, the second-largest producer of oranges after Florida, is expected to be mild, resulting in higher yields of all fruit.

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2011, 00:39
manalq8 wrote:
Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and dry in the major orange-growing regions of Florida, the state accounting for the largest share of orange production in the United States. While hot and dry weather usually leads to a substantial drop in the yield of oranges, my projections indicate that the revenues of Florida orange producers will not be substantially affected by these unfavorable conditions.

Which of the following statements, if true, would support the claim of the Industry Analyst?
a)This summer, Florida orange producers will employ a large number of migrant workers, a strategy that will substantially decrease their labor costs. => out of scope. We need the revenue, not talk about cost (as well as profit)

b)Because of the hot and dry weather, the costs of irrigation for Florida orange growers will be nearly 30% higher this summer. => out of scope. Same reason as A

c)The decline in the supply of oranges caused by the unfavorable weather will result in a substantial increase in their market price. => correct.

d)The hot weather is likely to increase the revenues of companies engaged in tourism and recreation that comprise the largest portion of the state economy. => out of scope. Talk about tourism and recreation, not orange production.

e)The weather in Georgia, the second-largest producer of oranges after Florida, is expected to be mild, resulting in higher yields of all fruit=> also out of scope. We talk about Florida, not Georgia.

Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Re: Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2011, 15:33
tuanquang269 do you mind if I ask what are you using for CR, I am still struggeling with the verbal because of it and I saw your great explanation and I thought if you could help me out with CR? thanks alot bro
B
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.33
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2011, 19:16
the weather leads to oranges crops drop, but less suplly will make the price increase. Therefore the revenue from orange will stay the same.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.78
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2012, 05:00
Question: because of dry weather, oranges production will drop, but still producers will be in profit ? how ?

first B-> It increase the cost of production -> decrease profit
D-> tourism company -- out of context
E-> weather in Georgia -- out of context

I think only fight is between A and C

A -> employing migrant workers decrease their labor costs, thus increase profit
C-> orange costs increase, thus increase profit

I feel C is more relevant here as we are not sure whether migrant workers costs less or they are cheap. So, I will go with A.

IMO, if there is no C option, I think then A can be an answer.

manalq8 wrote:

a)This summer, Florida orange producers will employ a large number of migrant workers, a strategy that will substantially decrease their labor costs. [ this one is

b)Because of the hot and dry weather, the costs of irrigation for Florida orange growers will be nearly 30% higher this summer.

c)The decline in the supply of oranges caused by the unfavorable weather will result in a substantial increase in their market price.

d)The hot weather is likely to increase the revenues of companies engaged in tourism and recreation that comprise the largest portion of the state economy.

e)The weather in Georgia, the second-largest producer of oranges after Florida, is expected to be mild, resulting in higher yields of all fruit.

WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2012, 07:34
Strengthen Q.
A and C are the contenders. A is talking about cost. not as relevant as C, which is talking about price. C.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 03:24
manalq8 wrote:

a)This summer, Florida orange producers will employ a large number of migrant workers, a strategy that will substantially decrease their labor costs.

b)Because of the hot and dry weather, the costs of irrigation for Florida orange growers will be nearly 30% higher this summer.

c)The decline in the supply of oranges caused by the unfavorable weather will result in a substantial increase in their market price.

d)The hot weather is likely to increase the revenues of companies engaged in tourism and recreation that comprise the largest portion of the state economy.

e)The weather in Georgia, the second-largest producer of oranges after Florida, is expected to be mild, resulting in higher yields of all fruit.

Responding to a pm:

Premises:
This summer will be particularly hot and dry in Florida, largest US producer of oranges.
Hot and dry weather usually leads to a substantial drop in the yield of oranges.

Analyst Projection: My projections indicate that the revenues of Florida orange producers will not be substantially affected.

Revenue = Yield * Price (assuming all produced is sold)

If yield drops, we expect the revenue to drop too. If the analyst is expecting the revenues to not get affected, then he must be expecting the price to increase. So (C) supports the claim of the analyst. Note that we don't have to prove that the analyst is right. We just have to make him more likely to be right.

All other options are irrelevant because revenue has nothing to do with costs, other companies and other regions.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 03:51
Premise: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and dry in the major orange-growing regions of Florida, the state accounting for the largest share of orange production in the United States.
Conclusion: While hot and dry weather usually leads to a substantial drop in the yield of oranges, my projections indicate that the revenues of Florida orange producers will not be substantially affected by these unfavorable conditions.
The analyst concludes that revenue of FLORIDA ORANGE PRODUCERS will not be affected.
This is only possible if:
1) The producers increase prices to fill the gap
2) The weather is soon expected to change that would be preferable for the orange production
3) They have sufficient inventory
Let’s take a look at the choices:
A. This summer, Florida orange producers will employ a large number of migrant workers, a strategy that will substantially decrease their labor costs.
This can be a contender but LABOR COSTS does not seem to be in context because we do not how this decrease in their costs would help the revenue. How much does these costs constitute to the total revenue?
INCORRECT

B. Because of the hot and dry weather, the costs of irrigation for Florida orange growers will be nearly 30% higher this summer.
Costs of irrigation would be higher……This would impact the revenue further. INCORRECT.

C. The decline in the supply of oranges caused by the unfavorable weather will result in a substantial increase in their market price.
This choice matches our pre-thinking. CORRECT.

D. The hot weather is likely to increase the revenues of companies engaged in tourism and recreation that comprise the largest portion of the state economy.
Tourism and recreation……..OUT OF SCOPE.

E. The weather in Georgia, the second-largest producer of oranges after Florida, is expected to be mild, resulting in higher yields of all fruit.
We are just concerned about FLORIDA AND NOT GEORGIA. OUT OF SCOPE.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.
Director
Director
D
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 04:41
manalq8 wrote:

Premise: Bad weather will decrease the quantity of oranges.
Conclusion: Revenue will remain unaffected.

Reasoning:

Revenue = Price/Item * Items
Hence, quantity (i.e. items) decreases, then price/item should increase in order for revenue to be constant. A choice that talks about price is the correct one. All others talking about other city or costs are irrelevant.

a) This summer, Florida orange producers will employ a large number of migrant workers, a strategy that will substantially decrease their labor costs. Wrong: Irrelevant

b) Because of the hot and dry weather, the costs of irrigation for Florida orange growers will be nearly 30% higher this summer. Wrong: Opposite
-[/color]
c) The decline in the supply of oranges caused by the unfavorable weather will result in a substantial increase in their market price. - Correct

d) The hot weather is likely to increase the revenues of companies engaged in tourism and recreation that comprise the largest portion of the state economy. Wrong: Irrelevant

e) The weather in Georgia, the second-largest producer of oranges after Florida, is expected to be mild, resulting in higher yields of all fruit. Wrong: Irrelevant

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.
GMAT Club Bot
Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2019, 04:41

Industry Analyst: This summer is expected to be particularly hot and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics