It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 09:52

Happening Now:

Alleviate MBA app anxiety! Come to Chat Room #2

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inference Revision: Celiac disease results from an inability

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16291 [4], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Inference Revision: Celiac disease results from an inability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 02:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:15) correct 36% (01:31) wrong based on 774 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Celiac disease results from an inability of the digestive tract, specifically the small intestine, to absorb gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and certain other grains. The body’s immune system attacks the gluten as if the protein were a harmful pathogen, often resulting in serious damage to the intestinal lining. People who suffer from celiac disease must eliminate gluten from their diets. Symptoms of the disease include abdominal cramps, bloating, and anemia. If the statements above are true, which of the following assertions can be made on the basis of them?

A. Anyone who suffers from celiac disease will experience anemia.
B. Eliminating gluten from one’s diet will cure celiac disease.
C. People experiencing abdominal cramps, bloating, and anemia have celiac disease.
D. Gluten is found only in grains.
E. The human body cannot always recognize harmless substances.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The text tells us that celiac disease results when the body mistakes gluten for a
harmful pathogen, causing damage to the intestine. We are also told that gluten
is a protein found in certain grains, and that people suffering from celiac disease
must eliminate it from their diets. Finally, we are told that symptoms of the
disease include cramps, bloating, and anemia. We need to find an answer choice
that is inferable from these facts alone.
(A) Anemia is just one of several symptoms of the disease. We do not know
whether everyone who has the disease will also develop anemia.
(B) We do not know whether eliminating gluten will cure the disease, only that
people with the disease must not eat gluten. Perhaps the disease will exist
anyway in a latent form.
(C) We do not know whether the symptoms mentioned are also symptoms of
other conditions.
(D) We do not know whether gluten is found only in grains. It may exist in other
foods as well.
(E) CORRECT. If the body mistakes gluten for a harmful pathogen, then it must
be true that the body cannot always recognize harmless substances.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16291 [4], given: 1953

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [5], given: 7

Reviews Badge
Re: Inference Revision: Celiac disease results from an inability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
Celiac disease results from an inability of the digestive tract, specifically the small intestine, to absorb gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and certain other grains. The body’s immune system attacks the gluten as if the protein were a harmful pathogen, often resulting in serious damage to the intestinal lining. People who suffer from celiac disease must eliminate gluten from their diets. Symptoms of the disease include abdominal cramps, bloating, and anemia. If the statements above are true, which of the following assertions can be made on the basis of them?

Very good contender but wrong
Wrong. Gluten leads to celiac disease, but it doesnot lead to removing gluten will cure the disease.
Analogy:If you smoke you get cancer, but if you quit smoking(after cancer) than you cancer will not cure.
C. People experiencing abdominal cramps, bloating, and anemia have celiac disease.
Wrong Symptoms of celiac disease are cramps, bloating and anemia, but these symptoms can be of any other disease. It is not mentioned that these symptoms only happen when you have celiac disease.
Celiac==>> symptoms doesnot mean symptoms==>> celiac always
Wrong Gluten is found in grains, but ONLY gluten cannot be told
Correct:>> Gluten is a protein, so is a harmless substance, but body doesnot recognize the harmless substance and cosiders it as harmless and hence wrong.

A is a good contender but wrong because E is more appropriate and it is not sure that everyone who have celiac disease will exhibit all of the symptoms. hence A is wrong and E is correct

E IS CORRECT

KUDOS PLEASE

AD

Kudos [?]: 10 [5], given: 7

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16291 [0], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 08:08

Kudos [?]: 16291 [0], given: 1953

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 02:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED

My ans is E .
A --> wrong . Because it says suffering from celiac will experience anemia . ( Will is strong word to use ) and shows always .
B--> passage saying nothing about curing the celiac . Out of scope
C--> Symptoms can also happen for other diseases .hence wrong
D. Out of scope .

inference question demand for 100% true validity test .

Hope it is helpful . Kudos appreciated !!!

Regards ,

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 25

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 07:17
While answering the question, I replaced "Attack" by "Recognize". First recognition happens then attack - too far away assumption. Be specific in Inference questions.

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 10:55
souvik101990 wrote:

The text tells us that celiac disease results when the body mistakes gluten for a
is a protein found in certain grains, and that people suffering from celiac disease
anyway in a latent form.
other conditions.
(D) We do not know whether gluten is found only in grains. It may exist in other
foods as well.

I thought the question could be a bit confusing because it states that "Celiac disease results from an inability of the digestive tract, specifically the small intestine, to absorb gluten", meaning Celiac disease is a result of the gluten found in some foods, hence removing the gluten intake, should remove the disease. Hence why I thought it was B.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 04:19
ADbhai wrote:
While answering the question, I replaced "Attack" by "Recognize". First recognition happens then attack - too far away assumption. Be specific in Inference questions.

I reattempted this question and misread - "harmless" to "harmful" while in a hurry to save the time. I need to focus more on my attention and focus. Any suggestions peers?

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 19:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 02:20
In my 2 cents,

--Anemia is listed as sample of those who suffer Celiac;hence,it isn't necessary for anyone with celiac disease to experience.It could be any combination from the given list.

-- The passage suggests eliminating gluten from one's diet with celiac to avoid the false-alarm action from the immune system-no mention that this approach will eventually cure the disease.

-- The passage tells us the other way around that the symptoms of celiac disease are these three.Suffering X leads to Y;Not the other way around.

-- Gluten is found in grains but not ONLY in grains

-- This is correct.Refer to the definition of celiac disease in which the immune system attack the harmless as if it were a harmful pathogen.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 906

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 14:31
ny225 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

anyway in a latent form.
other conditions.
foods as well.

I thought the question could be a bit confusing because it states that "Celiac disease results from an inability of the digestive tract, specifically the small intestine, to absorb gluten", meaning Celiac disease is a result of the gluten found in some foods, hence removing the gluten intake, should remove the disease. Hence why I thought it was B.

in an inference question you need not use any assumption, you need to chose an answer choice that some facts related to the facts present in the question, which is the case with E.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 29

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 259

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 21:56
cannot always

Two strong words in option E. Well according to me, it means that body does recognize what's harmless and what's not but not ALWAYS.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 259

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 158

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 16:35
souvik101990 wrote:

A. Anyone who suffers from celiac disease will experience anemia.No. The disease itself does not cause anemia, the consumption of gluten triggers people who have the disease to experience side effects such as anemia. This actually challenges the assertion that celiac diseases sufferers should eliminate gluten.?
B. Eliminating gluten from one’s diet will cure celiac disease. This is an attractive answer choice but it is too ambitious- reducing gluten may simply lessen or lead to fewer side effects caused by the disease, which the stimulus is suggesting. The elimination of gluten has an effect on the symptoms of celiac diseases not the disease itself
C. People experiencing abdominal cramps, bloating, and anemia have celiac disease. No. While people with celiac disease who consume gluten may experience these symptoms, these symptoms are not necessarily the cause of the diseases. Someone could have those symptoms as a result of another disease.
D. Gluten is found only in grains. No. This is too ambitious. If the statement read " a protein found only in wheat barley and certain other grains' then this would be valid. This one is a bit tougher to rule out.
E. The human body cannot always recognize harmless substances. Not a great answer but valid through POE

E

anyway in a latent form.
other conditions.
foods as well.

E is not a perfect answer- in other words it does not necessarily fit the stimulus like a puzzle piece like many answers in lower level inference questions. However, we can eliminate the other answers choices and arrive at E through POE.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 158

Re: Inference Revision: Celiac disease results from an inability   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 16:35