GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 18:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     07:00 PM PST

     08:00 PM PST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

inference vs conclusion

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 27
inference vs conclusion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2007, 07:42
1
Hi friends ,

Could you please tell me the diff between "inference" and "conclusion" for CR questions. I get them wrong many times.

Thanks,

vishal
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 186
Location: California
Re: inference vs conclusion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2007, 10:44
1
vc_pec wrote:
Hi friends ,

Could you please tell me the diff between "inference" and "conclusion" for CR questions. I get them wrong many times.

Thanks,

vishal


Conclusion is usually something that is explicitly stated. Inference is another type of conclusion but is not explicitly stated. You need to reach it by using the information provided.

I think other members can chime in with their opinions too
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 80
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2007, 02:45
A conclusion, ideally, should follow from the given information. Sometimes, the conclusion is missing from the argument and your job is to find the conclusion. In other words, your task is to infer what the conclusion might be.

In other cases, the conclusion is explicitely stated within the argument. For example, GMAT exams should not be used as part of the admission process because the exam has a very low reliability coefficient. Therefore, such exams cannot be valid measures of performance.

The main conclusion here would be that the GMAT is not a valid measure of performance. We can also infer that the reliability influences validity - that is, we can deduce this statement from the argument, even though it is not explicity stated.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 783
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2007, 03:13
alfyG wrote:
A conclusion, ideally, should follow from the given information. Sometimes, the conclusion is missing from the argument and your job is to find the conclusion. In other words, your task is to infer what the conclusion might be.

In other cases, the conclusion is explicitely stated within the argument. For example, GMAT exams should not be used as part of the admission process because the exam has a very low reliability coefficient. Therefore, such exams cannot be valid measures of performance.

The main conclusion here would be that the GMAT is not a valid measure of performance. We can also infer that the reliability influences validity - that is, we can deduce this statement from the argument, even though it is not explicity stated.


Good explanation...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Posts: 188
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2007, 21:44
AlfyG..
Good explanation.

Conclusion is information which can be concluded from the given evidences.

Inference is that information which you can squeeze out of the given evidence and conclusion.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 40
Premium Member
Re: inference vs conclusion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 22:43
A very good explanation.
http://classroom.synonym.com/difference ... -4962.html

Some distinctions
Conclusion
- a decision/prediction of future (i.e. next step)
- can be used to make additional inferences
- MAY (Strengthen/Weaken/etc) or MAY NOT (Draw a conclusion) be stated in the passage
- is the Main Point of the argument

Inference
- new facts/idea based on existing facts
- can be used to generate additional information to draw a conclusion (results in more accurate conclusions)
- NEVER stated in the passage (Conclusion is never present in an inference question)
- Must be true (should be supported by a/few premises)

Thanks
_________________

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 635
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: inference vs conclusion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 11:38
On the GMAT, an 'inference problem' is a particular type of CR problem.

These problems always ask you to draw your own conclusion/inference. They can use the word 'conclusion', the word 'inference', or neither. These questions would signal an inference problem:

"Which of the following conclusions is most properly drawn from the information above?"
"Which of the following would be a valid conclusion to the author's argument?"
"Which of these statements follows logically from the argument presented above?"
"Which of the following inferences is correctly drawn based on the argument?"

The terminology itself doesn't matter. They're always asking you to do the exact same thing, whether they use the term 'conclusion' or the term 'inference'. What they're asking you to do, is read the passage, and pick an answer choice that you can definitely prove to be true based on only the information in the argument.

On all other types of GMAT CR problem, the conclusion is already there in the argument. However, the conclusions that are already written in the argument, aren't logically flawless conclusions. That's what makes this concept a little strange. When you're doing an inference problem, you have to pick a conclusion that doesn't really have flaws in it. The answer choice you decide on should be provable. But, when the GMAT writes its own conclusions on other problem types, those conclusions typically do have flaws in them. In fact, a lot of other CR problem types are based on identifying those flaws.
_________________

Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 36
Location: Singapore
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: inference vs conclusion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 19:42
ccooley wrote:
On the GMAT, an 'inference problem' is a particular type of CR problem.

These problems always ask you to draw your own conclusion/inference. They can use the word 'conclusion', the word 'inference', or neither. These questions would signal an inference problem:

"Which of the following conclusions is most properly drawn from the information above?"
"Which of the following would be a valid conclusion to the author's argument?"
"Which of these statements follows logically from the argument presented above?"
"Which of the following inferences is correctly drawn based on the argument?"

The terminology itself doesn't matter. They're always asking you to do the exact same thing, whether they use the term 'conclusion' or the term 'inference'. What they're asking you to do, is read the passage, and pick an answer choice that you can definitely prove to be true based on only the information in the argument.

On all other types of GMAT CR problem, the conclusion is already there in the argument. However, the conclusions that are already written in the argument, aren't logically flawless conclusions. That's what makes this concept a little strange. When you're doing an inference problem, you have to pick a conclusion that doesn't really have flaws in it. The answer choice you decide on should be provable. But, when the GMAT writes its own conclusions on other problem types, those conclusions typically do have flaws in them. In fact, a lot of other CR problem types are based on identifying those flaws.


Why does gmatclub have a section for Inference and one for Conclusion questions? Even Magoosh says in the videos that these are the same question type...
inference: https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... %5B%5D=168
conclusion: https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... %5B%5D=168

thanks!
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2733
inference vs conclusion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 12:17
1
Inference and Conclusion "question types" on GMAT are for all practical purposes interchangeable. Essentially, it’s a statement which given the information in the passage must be true (logically). Lets take an example:

Simple argument


At Wharton, every applicant who scores 760 is invited to interview. vc_pec, who scored 760 applied to Wharton.

Inference and Conclusion

vc_pec will be invited to interview at Wharton

The statement above is an inference as well as a conclusion.
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
inference vs conclusion &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 12:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

inference vs conclusion

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.