Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Calling all Applicants(SEPT 2015 Intake)Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Waitlisted ?- congrats to all who got in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Received the call a couple of hours back. In for Fontainebleu!

All the best to fellow applicants waiting for good news :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats Marsh! do you mind sharing your profile (nationality)?
Can any one help us to know how many ppl are approx on the waitlist for 16j?

Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
INS16J wrote:
Congrats Marsh! do you mind sharing your profile (nationality)?
Can any one help us to know how many ppl are approx on the waitlist for 16j?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks! Singaporean based in Singapore here. Just received an official email on the admit as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
IN from LATAM! Starting at Fontainebleau. Super excited!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Inveniam viam aut faciam
I’m sure that every INSEAD interview candidate is asked why they want to go to INSEAD and then what they want to do after the program. These are very standard questions that every candidate will have prepared responses to. It is curious to then observe the divergence between what students thought they wanted to do after INSEAD and what they actually end up doing. I was very set on pursuing the tried and tested path of management consulting but two periods down (and a decent number of internship rejections later) I am re-evaluating my options.

The faculty of INSEAD constantly warns the students not to get caught up in the FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) culture that permeates the campus, as do other business schools the world over. However, there is a possibility that you may be exposed to an industry, role, or business concept that may not have piqued your initial interest otherwise.

Having attempted to set up a small business myself prior to INSEAD, I established the mindset that if I came across an idea for a start-up (in addition to or subsequently after management consulting) in which I believed I could add value, I would pursue the opportunity. Although I feel I may not have substantiated this mindset enough given that such an opportunity has recently presented itself, and I’ve found myself being apprehensive and risk averse, as opposed to enthusiastic to take on the risk then possibly reap the potential reward of it.

Recruitment for internship positions at INSEAD has been a tougher ordeal than I expected. Perhaps I was too naïve and felt that going to INSEAD would be the fillip to my career, that opportunities would be plentiful and the likelihood of succeeding would be better than say, at an undergraduate level. But I am experiencing the same sentiments as an MBA student as I did when I was an undergrad. This is something that I believe reflects poorly upon myself as I should be better able to handle these challenges given my experiences back then. Although the MBA and undergraduate student environments are similar; I am surrounded by smart and extremely accomplished people who are looking for positions at prestigious global companies that visit the campus to recruit the best talent.

I did everything I could in my power to get interviews for banking in P1: I attended the London trek before the course started; I tried to teach myself valuation; I researched deals and prominently involved bankers; I attended the company presentations and networking events; I followed up with the bankers at these events and even had some informational interviews. There were probably candidates at the other end of the spectrum who applied without doing much groundwork and went further in the process, due to their previous experience and achievement. This is perfectly fine. It is the companies that are hiring, not the business school and they want the best candidates according to their criteria. To this point, it’s possible that INSEAD could better manage the expectations of students with a more realistic perspective, rather than be overly optimistic about the process, particularly for those interested in career switches.

I understand that there is a clear distinction between effort and attainment but when all advice from the Career Development Centre is being followed to no avail, it’s quite easy to become introspective and question one’s worth. There is an aura of optimism (that sometimes becomes expectation) that business schools can help their students achieve anything in terms of career switches or boosts, but my experience so far, has been far from that.

In P2, I tried to dust off my banking malaise and I participated in the management consulting recruitment campaign. I take all the responsibility for my candidacy shortcomings as I interviewed with a handful of firms and did not perform as well as my peers.

Taking the point of view of the recruiter, it is of course easier to take the low-risk option, a candidate who has the experience or explicit transferrable skills rather than just a capable and enthusiastic one. Perhaps all parties should be better at managing expectations of the opportunities, rather than promoting an environment of equal chance.

This is also hard because I’m sure the companies are not so forthcoming with their hiring intentions which are likely driven by shifting business needs. There are a few consulting firms with which I networked intensely. I became connected with many consultants through my own social circle, whose firms did not invite me for interviews and a couple of others which I only attended the events that were offered through INSEAD (i.e., evening presentations and coffee chats) who did invite me. It’s very hard to see any patterns of consistency and draw lessons from them as to which approach works best.

Rejection is always hard to take, even though we should be optimistic in applying but pragmatic about the entire process. One candidate will be picked from at least twenty and 5% is not a safe bet. It can be particularly hard because all candidates are incredibly accomplished so have probably not experienced much rejection throughout their careers.

Alternatively, I reflect upon the title of this blog entry. The entire phrase is latin for “I shall find a way or make one.” It is attributed to Hannibal of Carthage, when his generals told him that it was impossible to cross the Alps by elephant in order to surprise the Roman army with an attack from the north. There are many students at INSEAD making their own way and starting their own businesses. The entrepreneurial culture is much stronger than I expected. And why not? The desire to build a company and make an impact can be an incredibly powerful motivator. I’m not sure what infrastructure other business schools have but the Mews seems to be a robust unit. It is high risk, but then it could come with high reward.

The entrepreneurs in the student body have ambition that I can only admire. This ‘woe is me’ attitude is extremely unbecoming and I need to remind myself that I am in a great position to achieve. INSEAD is the agent and not the principal of my career; it can help get me part of the way but not all of the way.

I don’t profess to have any ground breaking advice to this dynamic among business school, student, and career. It is a tough slog; if it were easy, we would all already be successful. Getting into INSEAD was one challenge and getting out to where I want to be will be another. Much of my frustration is borne from my impatience to achieve. Success will not come to me the moment I graduate; I will have to aim to find a way, or make my own.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Congrats to all admits..

What are the MBA connect numbers now after R4 results?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Company Presentations: Events that go well beyond job search

Many MBA students had to quit their jobs to embark upon their MBA journey. During this journey, many will have to find a new job. Attending company presentations on-campus is a good way not only to identify opportunities but also to verify whether the culture of a company fits you. These events can be much more enriching than one can imagine. Attending these events, I learnt a variety of subjects ranging from the sharing economy to agricultural advancements in Brazil.

In the last two months in every single week, some companies came to campus to present themselves in events organized by the career centre— not to mention the presentations organized by the clubs. As usual, the major consultancy firms visited the campus. Most of the times the most senior person (CEO, MD, or any other title) of those firms gave a remarkable speech. Banks and companies operating in many segments—from consumer goods to energy—also made their way to Fontainebleau. In addition, an entrepreneurship forum took place in the campus where more than 20 startups participated.

The sharing economy is gaining momentum. One of the INSEAD alumni founded a European-leader company that provides a platform to ride-share. He came to campus and presented to us how he developed the idea, how hard he’s been work to make the dream to come true, and so on. To be honest, not only did I learn a lot about the sharing economy but I also felt that it was an invaluable opportunity to listen to someone who is changing the landscape of an industry.

One global-leader consulting company presented a world outlook for the next decades. This was a brilliant class about global trends. Two points in particular captured my attention: One of them is related to the huge potential that is very likely to be unlocked in Africa, moving millions of people to a better life. And the other is the intensification of the industrialization of farms. The presenter mentioned a Brazilian farm as example of high technology being used to produce more and with greater efficiency.

The entrepreneurship career forum was also a unique event. Usually, we have at least one start-up presentation per week at the Entrepreneurship Club. These events are quite often presented by an INSEAD MBA graduate who runs a startup and is able to share his experience with the current students. This event was different. Having more than 20 startups operating in many different markets on campus was an extraordinary opportunity. There you had the opportunity to learn from people who are being pioneers at Internet business in Africa, or from people that choose London to launch their business.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
MorningRunner wrote:
Congrats to all admits..

Intern
Intern
Send PM
gipsybear wrote:
MorningRunner wrote:
Congrats to all admits..

are you sure of this number? if this is the case then there should be a fair number of seats for waitlisted candidates, fingers crossed. :|
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
INS16J wrote:
gipsybear wrote:
MorningRunner wrote:
Congrats to all admits..

are you sure of this number? if this is the case then there should be a fair number of seats for waitlisted candidates, fingers crossed. :|

I am pretty sure it is correct. Keep in mind that the deadline is today (?) and not all the accepted students have been recorded on mbaconnect yet
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
a month ago, the number was 475.. Now it seems reduced to 462.. Looks like some people did not accept the offer..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh i see, that makes more sense, but the deadline on the website is 13 May so besides people not on MBAconnect everyone should have had a reply by now right?
could you please update us once the number changes? thanks a lot and congrats on your acceptance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Is everyone getting a spot in Fonty? Any conversion on waitlist to the Singapore campus?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys, any updates for us waitlisted candidates? would appreciate any info

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Can someone please share the updated MBA connect numbers? Have they changed from the 462?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
pushkarp wrote:
Can someone please share the updated MBA connect numbers? Have they changed from the 462?

504 now
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts