Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
INSEAD request reapply: Should I apply in next round or next intake? [#permalink]
minmin2511 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have applied to INSEAD in Jan'24 R3 and just got the announcement that my current GMAT test scores do not correlate well with the overall quality of my application, and they encouraged me to retake GMAT and apply again with better scores. They even provided me a GMAT fee waiver so I guessed they really want to me reapply.

Just a quick brief on my profile: from Vietnam, 6y experience in Marketing for MNCs (Unilever, Samsung, Abbott), 2y experience in Manager role and now want to transition to Consulting. I aim to MBB, especially McKinsey.

Now I have two choices with several pros and cons:
1/ Reapply in R4 of Jan'24 Intake:
Pros: I prefer to join Jan intake to leverage the summer internship to build my experience in new sector before graduation.
Cons: Risk in diversity and scholarship.
I heard around that in R4 INSEAD mostly focused on application with diversity, which I am not much confident. And scholarship only opens for R1-3 only, but my friend at INSEAD said they still reserve scholarship for R4.

2/ Apply for R1 of Sep'24 Intake:
Pros: More time to retake GMAT, prepare finance and less risk when applying in R1
Cons: No internship for Sep Intake.

Please help to share your thoughts and advices. Thank you guys all!

Hi em, also Vietnamese, ex-U, MKT background + got into INSEAD here ;)

Probably you might need to provide more info on your extracurriculum and leadership role, since INSEAD def. values diversity. Anyhow, based on the school's feedback, I presume they def. have got certain interest in your pro5 and hence insisted you improve your GMAT so that they can make their admission decision easier. 650 is not bad for INSEAD, it's just not competitive and an advantage edge for you if this batch has the same or better score than yours.

Henceforth, def. recommending you to retake the test; an improvement of 30-40 score is decent AND it's def. not hard to get near to 700. It's, however, HARD to get from 700 upwards though (like my case), but you don't need that much rigorous score if somehow your pro5 has already compensated for the academic setback.

About the timing: if you want to get the summer internship, you may want to wait another year while preparing for the test (it doesn't hurt, tbh, to wait because INSEAD is basically just 1y and you'll get back in no time). It'll be better for you in terms of both admission and the chance to get decent scholarship from the school. ;)

All in all, best of luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: INSEAD request reapply: Should I apply in next round or next intake? [#permalink]
minmin2511 wrote:
I got 650 with V-32, Q-48, and IR-6

It is strange the college something like that. I have seen people get in with 630 at INSEAD if they have good profile .
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: INSEAD request reapply: Should I apply in next round or next intake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
minmin2511 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have applied to INSEAD in Jan'24 R3 and just got the announcement that my current GMAT test scores do not correlate well with the overall quality of my application, and they encouraged me to retake GMAT and apply again with better scores. They even provided me a GMAT fee waiver so I guessed they really want to me reapply.

Just a quick brief on my profile: from Vietnam, 6y experience in Marketing for MNCs (Unilever, Samsung, Abbott), 2y experience in Manager role and now want to transition to Consulting. I aim to MBB, especially McKinsey.

Now I have two choices with several pros and cons:
1/ Reapply in R4 of Jan'24 Intake:
Pros: I prefer to join Jan intake to leverage the summer internship to build my experience in new sector before graduation.
Cons: Risk in diversity and scholarship.
I heard around that in R4 INSEAD mostly focused on application with diversity, which I am not much confident. And scholarship only opens for R1-3 only, but my friend at INSEAD said they still reserve scholarship for R4.

2/ Apply for R1 of Sep'24 Intake:
Pros: More time to retake GMAT, prepare finance and less risk when applying in R1
Cons: No internship for Sep Intake.

Please help to share your thoughts and advices. Thank you guys all!

Hello minmin2511,

Thanks for writing in.

If INSEAD has indicated that your test scores do not do justice to your overall profile, you should consider retaking the GMAT. Schools do provide waivers at times; however, we would suggest you apply with a score.

Having said the above, internships are immensely value-adding; hence, it might actually be worthwhile to wait even longer (i.e. if you can). If you do not think you wish to wait, we would suggest that you apply with a higher GMAT score; it will also let INSEAD know that you have religiously worked on the feedback offered by them.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3701 posts