Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:London Business School (Admitted), INSEAD (ding w/ interview), Cambridge (Admitted), HEC (Admitted)
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 9 yrs in supply chain with experience in 4 countries
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: INSEAD SEPTEMBER 2011 Intake [#permalink]
thfc wrote:
SMH wrote:
just wanted to post and encourage those applicants Round 3, who interview with INSEAD. I interviewed in Round 2 and got a ding.

I made it to Ross and ISB after interviews. will probably be taking up Michigan Ross.

I think it is very important for you to be balanced while applying to INSEAD.

INSEAD compares itself with top 15 US schools (I would not compare it with a top 10 US School in any way).
Also it is the only school in the world that publishes videos of comparisons with Harvard.
Other schools dont distinguish or need to prove anything.

Also I wasted a lot of money flying down to another city for interviews......please dont be overenthusiastic.....INSEAD has many alumnis in India (unlike other business schools), as most of their alumni return back to their home country!..........so ask for an interview in your home location to minimize other expenses.

That said, for those indians who want to return to India, just try ISB...its probably going to be better rated than INSEAD very soon.

Also INSEADs application fee is a lot and the least they can do is organize interview locations in the place of your residence.

Good luck, but after my interviews......I ask everyone to keep many options open....and whatever will happen will happen for the best..............INSEAD or no Insead ( and im glad I didnt make it now!)...no loans (a few scholarships) make INSEAD prohibitly expensive and a very bad European job make the ROI doubtful.

Also for all its stress on international experienc...this is nonsense.....many applicants have simply worked in another country for a while (read US or the west), this does not make you any more international i think......also they make you waste your time filling out a scholarship form (round 2) before the result....absolute waste of time......you could spend that time applying to YALE which is a better college.

Hi SMH, while I can understand your frustration (because I didn't get into INSEAD after an interview in R2), I don't agree with your post-application analysis. INSEAD is a great school and definitely one of the top schools outside the US. The stuff you mention - fewer scholarships than US schools, a bad European job market, etc - should be taken into account when deciding upon schools, not after the application is sent in. So by all means, someone considering INSEAD should think about their fit to the school. Do you want to complete your MBA in 10 months or do you think you would benefit from a longer program? Do you want to be part of a 500-person intake or would you like a more personalized experience? Do you wish to work exclusively in the US post-MBA (in which case, you should probably opt for a US school)? How important is an internship to your post-MBA career plans? These are questions to ask yourself BEFORE you sit down and start writing the essays and filling out applications. Most importantly, ask yourself "If this was the only school I got accepted to, would I happily attend?" Don't waste time on schools you'd never attend anyway.

Sure, INSEAD doesn't fit everyone's goals. But shouldn't the question of fit be answered before you spend weeks on essays, recommendations, procuring old transcripts, spending 200 Euros on an application, spending days preparing for interviews and flying all over the place.

Once you get an interview at INSEAD, I believe they're very serious about your application. You should take the interview seriously and don't try to second-guess the school. They're also investing time and resources into you by interviewing you and they're only doing that because they really like you and want to get to know you better. The alumni interview format which INSEAD follows is always going to be a bit of a hit-and-miss. You might get someone who's just had a bad day. This is why I believe INSEAD tries to balance out the process by two separate interviews. Prepare well, know your application, your industry, be clear about your goals and know the school. If you made it this far, you're almost there! Don't get discouraged by people's bad interview experiences - if you prepare well, you're in with a fighting chance.

I didn't make it to INSEAD but I put a lot of effort in my application. I still have huge respect for the school and I envy (in a good way) all the lucky people who made it. Fortunately, I made it to Cambridge and HEC. So I have a bit of choice but INSEAD is a league above and a great choice, and good luck to all those applying! If I had to do it all over again, I'd still go for it.

nice answer thfc and good luck for the rest. Can you please let me know why you got dinged according to you and where are you from? thx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:INSEAD Class of July 2012
 Q48  V44
Send PM
thfc wrote:
SMH wrote:
just wanted to post and encourage those applicants Round 3, who interview with INSEAD. I interviewed in Round 2 and got a ding.

I made it to Ross and ISB after interviews. will probably be taking up Michigan Ross.

I think it is very important for you to be balanced while applying to INSEAD.

INSEAD compares itself with top 15 US schools (I would not compare it with a top 10 US School in any way).
Also it is the only school in the world that publishes videos of comparisons with Harvard.
Other schools dont distinguish or need to prove anything.

Also I wasted a lot of money flying down to another city for interviews......please dont be overenthusiastic.....INSEAD has many alumnis in India (unlike other business schools), as most of their alumni return back to their home country!..........so ask for an interview in your home location to minimize other expenses.

That said, for those indians who want to return to India, just try ISB...its probably going to be better rated than INSEAD very soon.

Also INSEADs application fee is a lot and the least they can do is organize interview locations in the place of your residence.

Good luck, but after my interviews......I ask everyone to keep many options open....and whatever will happen will happen for the best..............INSEAD or no Insead ( and im glad I didnt make it now!)...no loans (a few scholarships) make INSEAD prohibitly expensive and a very bad European job make the ROI doubtful.

Also for all its stress on international experienc...this is nonsense.....many applicants have simply worked in another country for a while (read US or the west), this does not make you any more international i think......also they make you waste your time filling out a scholarship form (round 2) before the result....absolute waste of time......you could spend that time applying to YALE which is a better college.

Hi SMH, while I can understand your frustration (because I didn't get into INSEAD after an interview in R2), I don't agree with your post-application analysis. INSEAD is a great school and definitely one of the top schools outside the US. The stuff you mention - fewer scholarships than US schools, a bad European job market, etc - should be taken into account when deciding upon schools, not after the application is sent in. So by all means, someone considering INSEAD should think about their fit to the school. Do you want to complete your MBA in 10 months or do you think you would benefit from a longer program? Do you want to be part of a 500-person intake or would you like a more personalized experience? Do you wish to work exclusively in the US post-MBA (in which case, you should probably opt for a US school)? How important is an internship to your post-MBA career plans? These are questions to ask yourself BEFORE you sit down and start writing the essays and filling out applications. Most importantly, ask yourself "If this was the only school I got accepted to, would I happily attend?" Don't waste time on schools you'd never attend anyway.

Sure, INSEAD doesn't fit everyone's goals. But shouldn't the question of fit be answered before you spend weeks on essays, recommendations, procuring old transcripts, spending 200 Euros on an application, spending days preparing for interviews and flying all over the place.

Once you get an interview at INSEAD, I believe they're very serious about your application. You should take the interview seriously and don't try to second-guess the school. They're also investing time and resources into you by interviewing you and they're only doing that because they really like you and want to get to know you better. The alumni interview format which INSEAD follows is always going to be a bit of a hit-and-miss. You might get someone who's just had a bad day. This is why I believe INSEAD tries to balance out the process by two separate interviews. Prepare well, know your application, your industry, be clear about your goals and know the school. If you made it this far, you're almost there! Don't get discouraged by people's bad interview experiences - if you prepare well, you're in with a fighting chance.

I didn't make it to INSEAD but I put a lot of effort in my application. I still have huge respect for the school and I envy (in a good way) all the lucky people who made it. Fortunately, I made it to Cambridge and HEC. So I have a bit of choice but INSEAD is a league above and a great choice, and good luck to all those applying! If I had to do it all over again, I'd still go for it.

Perfectly said thfc.

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:London Business School (Admitted), INSEAD (ding w/ interview), Cambridge (Admitted), HEC (Admitted)
Send PM
Kchtourou wrote:
nice answer thfc and good luck for the rest. Can you please let me know why you got dinged according to you and where are you from? thx

Kchtourou - I'm a Canadian working in the Middle East. I can't pinpoint what exactly went wrong. I'm 32 and maybe my age went against me. I had a forgettable first interview and a great second one. I didn't have any gaping holes in my profile. Good career progression (I manage 40 people), reasonable GMAT (720) and GPA (3.5). Maybe it was the whole diversity aspect but I'm just guessing.

I don't make excuses for the ding. I could have prepared better for the first interview. I'll never know...but the entire application process was enriching and prepared me very well for the other schools I applied to. I went through my applications once again yesterday (after finishing my final interview of the application season at LBS). INSEAD was the application I completed first and I could see it wasn't my strongest. The quality of my applications got better over time. So my advice would be not to tackle your top choice first. I got accepted to every school I applied to except for INSEAD (and the LBS decision is pending). So I'm not entirely sure what went wrong but hey, life's good :) and we're all going to be doing MBA's at great schools come September!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi thfc,

Commiseration on the INSEAD ding and good luck for LBS. Well said and good perspective.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i sent my transcripts and submitted gmat.

now only thing that remains is submitting pdf and recommendation letters, right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asu wrote:
i sent my transcripts and submitted gmat.

now only thing that remains is submitting pdf and recommendation letters, right?

On the application pdf, there's a checklist for everything you need to submit. Just go through it and you'll see if you missed something out. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey all,

Anyone updating the roll call for Sept 2011 R3?

Include me
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Applied Insead in R3. Anyone received interview invitation so far? Saw thfc's sharing, there are two round of interview? one with Alumni, one with School Admit?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JimfromSG wrote:
Applied Insead in R3. Anyone received interview invitation so far? Saw thfc's sharing, there are two round of interview? one with Alumni, one with School Admit?

Jim, there are two interviews....both with alumni. AdCom will give you contacts of two alumni living in your area. You will have to contact them and schedule your interviews. You will have about 2-3 weeks to complete the interviews once you get the details of the alumni.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thfc wrote:
JimfromSG wrote:

Jim, there are two interviews....both with alumni. AdCom will give you contacts of two alumni living in your area. You will have to contact them and schedule your interviews. You will have about 2-3 weeks to complete the interviews once you get the details of the alumni.

thfc, thanks a lot. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JimfromSG wrote:

No, I've heard nothing since the "application completed" e-mail. However, there are still 3 weeks to the interview decision deadline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I sent in application for Round 3 as well. No news so far, getting worried. I saw a post somewhere on this site suggesting they have already admitted like 400 people? Not sure if that means there are only 50 seats for round 3, if the total students number is around 450.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't think there is any need to be worried yet. After what I can see from the previous posts they tend to send out interview invites during the last days before the deadline. Let's get worried around the 15th :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone, I thought of sharing this before I leave the forum. I sampled 20 old interviews (https://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... dInterview - posts 14 to 27) and made a list with questions and their frequency. I present them here in an order that made sense to me!

1. Walk me through your resume. Describe major events. - 70%
2. Describe your company and/or position. - 15%
3. Why do you want to have an MBA? - 70%
4. Why did you choose INSEAD? - 75%
5. Why have an MBA now? - 45%
6. What other schools have you applied for and why not going there instead? - 30%
7. Describe your short and/or long term career objectives. - 60%
8. Can you not achieve your objectives without an MBA? - 15%
9. Discuss two projects/achievements/challenges at work. - 15%
10. What are your major extra-curricular activities?- 15%
11. State your strengths and/or weaknesses. - 15%
12. What other languages do you speak and what is your level of proficiency? - 15%
13. What is your capacity as a leader/manager? - 15%
14. Discuss your teamwork experience and/or multicultural teamwork experience. - 10%
15. Describe a time you failed. - 10%
16. Which campus do you want to study at? - 10%
17. What can you offer INSEAD? - 5%
18. How would your colleagues describe you? - 5%
19. What are the cultural differences between Europe and China? - 5%
20. When you’re in a gathering, what attracts your attention first? - 5%
21. What makes you extremely angry/ passionate? - 5%
22. What is your style of negotiation? - 5%
23. How do you deal with a person who’s determined not to listen to you even though he/she knows you are right? - 5%
24. How do you deal with a boss who is not as smart as you? - 5%

Moreover, the interview style is typically conversational and its purpose is primarily to assess cultural fit.

Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Schools:INSEAD (R2) /LBS (R2)
 Q43  V37 GMAT 2: 700  Q46  V40
Send PM
thfc wrote:
Kchtourou wrote:

Kchtourou - I'm a Canadian working in the Middle East. I can't pinpoint what exactly went wrong. I'm 32 and maybe my age went against me. I had a forgettable first interview and a great second one. I didn't have any gaping holes in my profile. Good career progression (I manage 40 people), reasonable GMAT (720) and GPA (3.5). Maybe it was the whole diversity aspect but I'm just guessing.

I don't make excuses for the ding. I could have prepared better for the first interview. I'll never know...but the entire application process was enriching and prepared me very well for the other schools I applied to. I went through my applications once again yesterday (after finishing my final interview of the application season at LBS). INSEAD was the application I completed first and I could see it wasn't my strongest. The quality of my applications got better over time. So my advice would be not to tackle your top choice first. I got accepted to every school I applied to except for INSEAD (and the LBS decision is pending). So I'm not entirely sure what went wrong but hey, life's good :) and we're all going to be doing MBA's at great schools come September!

I suspect they thought you're more fit with EMBA! Your age, your experience and the fact that you manage 40 people now already may make it hard for them to put you in a pool of 25-32 years olds seeking a career changer or accelerator (vs. seeking to build executive/senior managerial skillsets). But anyhow, good luck on your other apps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:INSEAD, Ross, NYU
 Q49  V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hello,

I'm a R1 applicant, got waitlisted and a few days ago got the call (:

Anyhow, I will attend the in house event today, will anyone else from this forum be there?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys,

I just received an interview invite last Friday (Mar 25). I submitted my app on Mar 9. So your interview invite might be on its way.

SUBMISSION DATE EDITED

Originally posted by thirdbird on 27 Mar 2011, 17:59.
Last edited by thirdbird on 28 Mar 2011, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73  ...  75   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts