GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is it possible to increase my score 60 points in 2 weeks and 5 days?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Is it possible to increase my score 60 points in 2 weeks and 5 days?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 06:10
Hi,

I just got out of my first official GMAT test, I got 340 while my local university requires 400
there's no way they would take a look at my application without the number 400 in the GMAT section
so, I'm planning on taking it again in 2 weeks and 5 days, is it possible to increase my score 60 points or more in this time?

I studied on and off for approximately two months, I decided to take my first free gmat prep exam cold and scored 400, cold!! I don't know how that happened
then I studied for a month and a half after that from OG for V & Q and Manhattan for V only, also studied the free PDF math file for Q from this site
I reviewed questions from this site and 2 days before the exam, I decided to take the second free one
I score 340, and in the official I scored 340 too

I canceled the score but I remember that the V was higher by 7 scores than the Q although I focused so hard on the Q and I'm not a native speaker!!

so, is it possible or should I give up, save my money and try again next year? :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge
Re: Is it possible to increase my score 60 points in 2 weeks and 5 days?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 06:38
Farah1995 wrote:
Hi,

I just got out of my first official GMAT test, I got 340 while my local university requires 400
there's no way they would take a look at my application without the number 400 in the GMAT section
so, I'm planning on taking it again in 2 weeks and 5 days, is it possible to increase my score 60 points or more in this time?

I studied on and off for approximately two months, I decided to take my first free gmat prep exam cold and scored 400, cold!! I don't know how that happened
then I studied for a month and a half after that from OG for V & Q and Manhattan for V only, also studied the free PDF math file for Q from this site
I reviewed questions from this site and 2 days before the exam, I decided to take the second free one

I canceled the score but I remember that the V was higher by 7 scores than the Q although I focused so hard on the Q and I'm not a native speaker!!

so, is it possible or should I give up, save my money and try again next year? :cry:

From 340 to 400, it is very much possible iff you're dedicated.

Focus more(relatively) on quants as quants is easy to improve.

If you scored 340, most probably, you need to be better at concepts. I'll suggest you to start quants with a standard book, learn theory and practise questions, topic wise.

For verbal, go to the official guide and this time, focus more on solutions. Try to learn maximum from the solutions provided.

But remember one thing, you don't have anytime to waste.

Stay motivated during this period. Let me know if the answer is helpful.

All the best.

Posted from my mobile device
B
Is it possible to increase my score 60 points in 2 weeks and 5 days?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 07:58
UdayPratapSingh99 wrote:
Farah1995 wrote:
Hi,

If you scored 340, most probably, you need to be better at concepts. I'll suggest you to start quants with a standard book, learn theory and practise questions, topic wise.

For verbal, go to the official guide and this time, focus more on solutions. Try to learn maximum from the solutions provided.

All the best.

First of all, thank you for responding this fast

And second what do you mean by “standard book” for math concepts? Is it okay if I studied from GmatClub math book?

Also I have another question: how much time do suggest studying per day?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Is it possible to increase my score 60 points in 2 weeks and 5 days?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 08:09
Farah1995 wrote:
UdayPratapSingh99 wrote:
Farah1995 wrote:
Hi,

All the best.

First of all, thank you for responding this fast

And second what do you mean by “standard book” for math concepts? Is it okay if I studied from GmatClub math book?

Also I have another question: how much time do suggest studying per day?

I haven't seen gmat club book, so i can not comment on this. But whatever the book is, it must be good with theory and conceptual part and examples.
In addition, it must contain quality questions that too topics wise, after theory and examples of pirticular theory. Quality and variety of questions is important than quantity, so do not pick a book with several thousand questions, as you don't have enough time. Focus on strengthening at least important 50 percent syllabus and create comfort with rest not so important topics.

Regarding your second question, I'll suggest 7-12 hours per day.. Ofcourse, you can't take risk this time. But if you can do this, you'll most probably cross at least 400. Learn from the solutions too. And practise at least 4-5 test before exam.. To build strategy, stamina and speed.
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 08:15
Sorry, i forgot to mention. Do not join any coaching at this time. Coaching works if you have at least 5-6 months. It takes time. So don't be misguided, you'll end up wasting time and money. While reading from book, you'll simultaneously learn it efficiently, and in addition, you'll be in habit of reading, which is necessary for gmat. So, do prepare in the most efficient way.
If you're dedicated, you would definitely do it this way, if not, than you won't be able to do either way.

I'll suggest you to stick to OG for verbal.

All the best

V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 12:12
Hi Farah1995,

At your current level, raising a 340 to a 400 in 2.5 weeks is doable - but you will have to eliminate some of the little mistakes from your work. The good news is that you do not have to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird - so the best choice on Test Day is to 'dump' those hard questions quickly (just take a quick guess and move on). You can then use the time that you 'save' to do a bit more work on the question that you are capable of correctly answering.

Since you have a practice CAT/mock that you also scored 340 on, we can use that Test as a basis for comparison. You should review that Exam with the goal of defining WHY you got questions wrong. To start, we need to know how many of the questions that you got wrong were actually 'gettable.'

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 20:08
Hi Farah1995,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, your score of 340 on your latest GMAT is a sign that you are struggling with the foundations of GMAT quant and verbal. Although it may seem as though 400 is a fairly achievable score, until you solidify your foundations, it will be challenging to make any sizable gains in your GMAT score. So, is it possible to achieve a 400 in about two and a half weeks? It’s possible, but it’s no guarantee.

To improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills, you likely will need to adjust your study routine. Up to this point, your study routine has been based on doing practice questions. While engaging in practice is a necessary part of improving your GMAT skills, such practice is only beneficial after you have studied the topics on which those questions are based. Consider adjusting your study plan such that you are able to individually learn each quant and verbal topic, starting with the foundations before progressing toward more advanced concepts. Although you may not hit your score goal in two weeks, do not give up or stop studying. Continue to prep until you safely hit your score goal on practice exams, and then take your real GMAT. If you delay your studying until next year, you will lose all of the momentum you’ve gained.

If you’d like more specific advice on how to study for GMAT quant and verbal, feel free to reach back out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 07:19
Thank you!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 06:24
Farah1995 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Farah1995,

Yes it is indeed possible to achieve your dream score. You should study for around 4 months to improve your score. It’s a good thing you have taken a GMAT Mock once. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I think you need to solidify you base and adopt a proper technique to answer the questions. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and TTP as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. Just by going through these guides and solving the OG will help you reach 600+.I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Re: Is it possible to increase my score 60 points in 2 weeks and 5 days?   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2019, 06:24

Is it possible to increase my score 60 points in 2 weeks and 5 days?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k