Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ESADE '16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Is it possible to reach 720 from 650 in 6 weeks?Advise [#permalink]
A couple thoughts on this.

1) Yes, you can make a drastic score improvement over a short period of time, if you put in the work. I went from 570 to 710 in 1 month (however, that's nothing compared to other super test freaks on this forum :wink: ). The trick is to focus on your weaknesses until they become manageable. A solid grounding in the concepts of what you're weak at followed by purposeful drilling with real OG problems will get you where you need to be. For example, I was consistently at a verbal 36 and realized that I could get 90% of SC and RC correct, but only 30% of the CR questions. Over 2 weeks I reviewed the major concepts in Manhattan CR, practiced with the hardest CR questions I could find both in OG and GMATPrep, and then scored a verbal 44 on the real deal.

2) Manhattan CATs have a reputation for having harder quant sections than the real GMAT. I think this is because they are calculation intensive and throw off one's timing. That being said, I consistently scored Q45 on Manhattan CATs, and 46-47 on GMATPrep tests…and then got a Q44 on the real thing (bad timing, got bogged down, had to guess on the last few). At the end of the day, practice tests are all just approximations of how you will do on the real test with considerable room for variation.

3) I agree with the advice given in this thread. Take a FULL GMATPrep practice test (yes, write the silly essay for 30 minutes and do IR - you'd be surprised how mentally fatigued you can get in the later sections of the test…), evaluate your weaknesses, and move out from there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Oh, forgot. My thoughts on your questions:

- Take a full practice test about a week out from the real deal. If you're not in range of where you want to be (+/- 30 to 40 points) and can stomach a rescheduling fee, two more weeks of study couldn't hurt.

- Study plans are pretty individual, in my opinion. This is because they should be focused on your weaknesses like I said earlier. One thing to think about, however, is if studying isn't your priority right now, make it your priority. The GMAT destroyed my social life for a while. I would get up at 4am to get in some quant studying in before work when my mind was fresh. Then I would lock my self away over lunch to practice some more. Finally, when I got home tired from the day, I would work on verbal since that would best replicate the demands on my mind during the test (thinking critically while fatigued). Make sure to take breaks every 30 minutes and walk around/stretch. And work out daily. Fitness is good for health and the brain. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your advice!! I hope the period of 6 weeks will be enough to break the 700 barrier. From now I will spend most of my time reviewing the verbal section!
Cheers
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts