Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 19:03 It is currently 02 May 2024, 19:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Is masters in management for me? Or I have to strengthen my profile [#permalink]
NY55 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am NY, currently in 2nd year and completing my bachelors from a renowned public university from Bangladesh and my major is management.I am eager to pursue front office roles like Investment Banking, but opportunities in my country are scarce. To break into this field, I planning to enroll in top Master in Management (MIM) programs such as HEC Paris, INSEAD, ESSEC, and LBS, as they typically don't require prior work experience.(At least this is what they say)

However, I've noticed that many MIM students admitted to these programs already have internships or a year of work experience, making the competition fierce. Unfortunately, securing internships before graduation is rare in my country, especially outside the capital city or without strong connections or enrollment in a top private university.

I was wondering if it's possible to get into in programs like MIM without having work experice and given profile

Nationality: Bangladeshi.
CGPA (so far): 3.6/4 (Top 3 among the 80 students) .
Skills: Python 3, R (self taught), Currently learning financial modeling religiously
Language: Bengali, English, Hindi, French (A1, which again, is self taught and willing to reach C1 in the next 2 years).
GMAT: Expected score 700-720 

Online coures:

• Private equity and venture capital by Bocconi 
  • Business and financial modeling by Wharton
  • Financial market by Yale
Extra-curricular activities:

• Member for MUN and participited in several workshops in last 1 year and won an interdepartment competition. Hoping to continue it with more achievements.
  • Went to a music school and can play guitar also expected to perform in campus.
  • Completed a web development bootcamp out of curiosity and taught myself coding in my high schools and did several projects.
  • Working for a campus based NGO as a volunteer
Also I working as a part time tutor and teaching finance, accounting, management and math related subject to high school students  and previously wrote 3 tech related blog for a software company as a freelancer.

Target schools:HEC, LBS, INSEAD, ESSEC­

­Hi NY! The competition will be fierce for HEC, LBS, INSEAD, and ESSEC. Now since you don't have a work/internship experience - the first thing you can do is to get a stellar GMAT score which catches the attention of admissions committee. While you might not be getting internship opportunities, you must try to get some impactful freelancing projects through fiverr, upwork etc. Additionally you can try to enroll in additional courses and get proper knowledge through those courses, so that you can come across as a person who is ready for the academic rigor and someone who has done his homework well.

MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Is masters in management for me? Or I have to strengthen my profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello NY55,

It's great that you're already planning for your future in Investment Banking! While top MIM programs like HEC Paris, INSEAD, ESSEC, and LBS often cater to recent graduates, it's true that many admitted students have some work experience under their belt. This can intensify the competition.

However, your profile definitely has strengths to consider. Your high CGPA and self-taught coding skills in Python and R showcase initiative and a quantitative aptitude valuable for finance. Furthermore, your extracurricular involvement in MUN and the music school demonstrates your well-roundedness.

The key here will be to strategically present your profile to highlight your potential despite the lack of formal internships. Focus on how your volunteer work, tutoring experience, and freelance writing demonstrate transferable skills like communication, leadership, and problem-solving - all crucial for success in Investment Banking.

While a strong GMAT score in the 700-720 range will solidify your application, consider how to leverage your unique experiences to stand out, perhaps participating in relevant online courses like the ones you've mentioned or attending industry conferences could further strengthen your candidacy.

Given your specific goals and background, a free 1:1 profile evaluation call with our experts can be incredibly valuable.  These experts are alums and current students from your target schools, so they have deep insights into the admissions process. During the call, they can assess your profile in detail, suggest strategies to address the lack of formal internships,  and even help you refine your target school list to maximize your chances of admission.  Don't hesitate to schedule a call - it's a free resource that can make all the difference in your application journey!

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE 1:1 PROFILE ANALYSIS CALL

Testimonials 
Meet our Panel of Consultants.  

Email: hasan@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond​​​​​​​
NY55 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am NY, currently in 2nd year and completing my bachelors from a renowned public university from Bangladesh and my major is management.I am eager to pursue front office roles like Investment Banking, but opportunities in my country are scarce. To break into this field, I planning to enroll in top Master in Management (MIM) programs such as HEC Paris, INSEAD, ESSEC, and LBS, as they typically don't require prior work experience.(At least this is what they say)

However, I've noticed that many MIM students admitted to these programs already have internships or a year of work experience, making the competition fierce. Unfortunately, securing internships before graduation is rare in my country, especially outside the capital city or without strong connections or enrollment in a top private university.

I was wondering if it's possible to get into in programs like MIM without having work experice and given profile

Nationality: Bangladeshi.
CGPA (so far): 3.6/4 (Top 3 among the 80 students) .
Skills: Python 3, R (self taught), Currently learning financial modeling religiously
Language: Bengali, English, Hindi, French (A1, which again, is self taught and willing to reach C1 in the next 2 years).
GMAT: Expected score 700-720 

Online coures:

• Private equity and venture capital by Bocconi 
  • Business and financial modeling by Wharton
  • Financial market by Yale
Extra-curricular activities:

• Member for MUN and participited in several workshops in last 1 year and won an interdepartment competition. Hoping to continue it with more achievements.
  • Went to a music school and can play guitar also expected to perform in campus.
  • Completed a web development bootcamp out of curiosity and taught myself coding in my high schools and did several projects.
  • Working for a campus based NGO as a volunteer
Also I working as a part time tutor and teaching finance, accounting, management and math related subject to high school students  and previously wrote 3 tech related blog for a software company as a freelancer.

Target schools:HEC, LBS, INSEAD, ESSEC­

­
GMAT Club Bot