It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 09:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I'll be 29 at matriculation. Will top b-schools consider me?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V43
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
I'll be 29 at matriculation. Will top b-schools consider me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 05:18
Hi guys,

I am a private equity professional working in India and currently 27 years old. I graduated from an IIT which is one of the premier engineering institutes in India and worked at a mega PE fund in the past (likes of Blackstone, KKR). I have applied to Harvard/Stanford/Wharton twice in the past but somehow was always dinged (GMAT: 760, GPA:3.4). While this year looks tough for me to apply to b-schools again but in case I apply for the class matriculating in 2019, do you think it will be too late for me to start my MBA at the age of 29? I want to understand how much I am hurting my chances of admission by waiting for another year and starting MBA at 29 years age with 8 years of work experience. I am targeting only top 5 schools for now - HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Columbia as only those will add real value to my profile and help me move up in the larger private equity funds. However, I also want to have some reasonable shot at landing into a good tech (I am a comp. sci. grad) and then decide at that point whether I want to come back to my current employer or take up the other opportunity.

I am very confused right now about what to do. Need some advice please. Thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: I'll be 29 at matriculation. Will top b-schools consider me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 21:54
Hi akashsinghal,

Applying at 29 is fine. Your work experience then won’t be too off from the usual median workex of around 5 years at most schools. You’ve the professional experience to make it to your target schools. In fact, PE makes a good chunk of the incoming class at some of these schools. You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to recruit for tech industry at these schools, and if you’ve already worked in a tech role earlier, nothing like it. On another note, you may even consider applying this year (I know you’ll have your reasons for not doing so), keeping in mind how much things can change in the tech industry in a year (in case, it turns out to be an option). Otherwise, applying next year is not going to harm your odds.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 18:58
Hi Akash,

The most important thing is to apply when YOU feel you are ready. I have worked with clients who were successful gaining admission to the top schools after a couple of years of work experience and others who had 9-10 years of professional experience. You need to feel ready with respect to the timing and as to when you will be able to put your best foot forward. I hope this helps!

If you'd like to schedule a free consultation, feel free to reach out at info@ivygroupe.com or https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 08:38
akashsinghal wrote:
Hi guys,

I am a private equity professional working in India and currently 27 years old. I graduated from an IIT which is one of the premier engineering institutes in India and worked at a mega PE fund in the past (likes of Blackstone, KKR). I have applied to Harvard/Stanford/Wharton twice in the past but somehow was always dinged (GMAT: 760, GPA:3.4). While this year looks tough for me to apply to b-schools again but in case I apply for the class matriculating in 2019, do you think it will be too late for me to start my MBA at the age of 29? I want to understand how much I am hurting my chances of admission by waiting for another year and starting MBA at 29 years age with 8 years of work experience. I am targeting only top 5 schools for now - HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Columbia as only those will add real value to my profile and help me move up in the larger private equity funds. However, I also want to have some reasonable shot at landing into a good tech (I am a comp. sci. grad) and then decide at that point whether I want to come back to my current employer or take up the other opportunity.

I am very confused right now about what to do. Need some advice please. Thanks!!

Well look dude
IIT + PE mega fund + 760 is a great start!

Now, as to why you got dinged... since all of your numbers are good, I would conjecture that it is your story/application that needs works.I can't tell for sure without reading the applications, but really you have a great profile! I would so try again.

29 is NOT too old at ALL. Especially as an Indian candidate (who tend to be older). It's totally normal. Plus, the difficulty might have been in getting into PE at this late stage r.e. your own goals, but since you're already in... :)

So if you are still hot for it, APPLY! And if these are the only five school that will add real value, then go with it. (Although I would keep an open mind.. schools like Yale, Sloan and NYU can also also land you awesome in industry jobs.

I hope this helps!

And feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 16:28
Great profile and I don't think 29 is too old at all. You've already been dinged twice from HSW so you may want to broaden your list slightly. I think Booth and Columbia make sense given your career goals. I would also consider opening things up to Kellogg and Stern.

One other note, given the strength of your profile on paper, you may want to reevaluate your story/essays/application. Also, you may want to consider an admissions consultant to help you especially if you plan to give H/S/W another shot

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Experts' Global Representative
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 04:26
akashsinghal wrote:
Hi guys,

Hi akashsinghal,

We are a bit late in responding to you but we hope this reaches you in time still ☺

No, 29 is not too late for you to start your MBA. You have a fine GMAT score, and IIT is always a good brand to have on your resume. Thus, you now need to focus on presenting your strengths in the best possible way.

Yes, your work experience will be slightly on the higher side, as compared to the class average. However, you could definitely use this to your advantage by including a large number of talking points in terms of your promotions and achievements, in your essays.

At this point, we recommend that you re visit your previous essays to focus on what you can do better. Remember, it is imperative that you showcase a strong alignment among your professional experience, short-term goals, and long-term aspirations. Further, your application must also focus on aspects, which differentiate you from other candidates ☺

If you are able to take care of the aforesaid, you stand a good chance at making it to your dream schools ☺

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, do not hesitate to reach out to us! ☺

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 11:36
akashsinghal wrote:
Hi guys,
Hi @akasksinghal- don't worry about your age- 27, 29- all good! And for some of the top programs that age will help you with work experience and clarity of goals- and we can really help there too- we have lots of bench strength on HBS and Wharton and Stanford too- so if you want a free consult with us to see whre your story broke down in past- as it was not your stats...- sign up here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/ and if you want some essay tips here are a few on schools of interest to you:
HBS: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... hbs-essay/
Wharton: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ton-essay/
GSB: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... sb-essays/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 42

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 22:07
akashsinghal wrote:
Hi guys,

You are really not too old, so I would not worry about that part, especially as your profile looks pretty impressive otherwise. I also suspect that the essays may be the reason you got dinged, so you should consider having a professional take a look at them. Feel free to be in touch here if you’d like to have ARINGO review your previous applications: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

But really, I hope you have gotten enough replies regarding the age issue not to worry about it anymore by now!

JL

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 2

Re: I'll be 29 at matriculation. Will top b-schools consider me?   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 22:07

I'll be 29 at matriculation. Will top b-schools consider me?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap