GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 May 2019, 02:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2014
Posts: 6
Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Mar 2016, 05:05
2
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:40) correct 52% (01:42) wrong based on 84 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?

1) AC = 6
2) AB = 10

Attachments

gmat question.png
gmat question.png [ 4.54 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]


Originally posted by seesharp on 05 Mar 2016, 03:42.
Last edited by ENGRTOMBA2018 on 05 Mar 2016, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7667
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 03:54
4
1
seesharp wrote:
Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?

1) AC = 6
2) AB = 10


Hi,
whenever we see a restrictions, <,>, atleast etc, more often than not, the answer is possible through a statement..

1) AC = 6
Since, one of the sides is 6, the other can take any value
Insuff..

2) AB = 10
It is given that hyp is 10..
An isosceles right angle triangle will have max area..
so with Hyp as 10 , the max area possible is when the other two sides are equal..
so each side = Hyp/\(\sqrt{2}\)=10/\(\sqrt{2}\)..
area = 1/2 * 10/\(\sqrt{2}\)*10/\(\sqrt{2}\)
=>100/4=25..
so max area possible is 25..
so teh area of ABC can never be >25..
Suff

ANS B

_________________
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2014
Posts: 6
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 04:10
chetan2u wrote:
seesharp wrote:
Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?

1) AC = 6
2) AB = 10


Hi,
whenever we see a restrictions, <,>, atleast etc, more often than not, the answer is possible through a statement..

1) AC = 6
Since, one of the sides is 6, the other can take any value
Insuff..

2) AB = 10
It is given that hyp is 10..
An isosceles right angle triangle will have max area..
so with Hyp as 10 , the max area possible is when the other two sides are equal..
so each side = Hyp/\(\sqrt{2}\)=10/\(\sqrt{2}\)..
area = 1/2 * 10/\(\sqrt{2}\)*10/\(\sqrt{2}\)
=>100/4=25..
so max area possible is 25..
so teh area of ABC can never be >25..
Suff

ANS B



Thanks, so you assumed the triangle to be an isosceles to give the maximum possible area. That is great. How about if statement 2 was AB=11? What would the answer be then? C or E?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7667
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 04:13
seesharp wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
seesharp wrote:
Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?

1) AC = 6
2) AB = 10


Hi,
whenever we see a restrictions, <,>, atleast etc, more often than not, the answer is possible through a statement..

1) AC = 6
Since, one of the sides is 6, the other can take any value
Insuff..

2) AB = 10
It is given that hyp is 10..
An isosceles right angle triangle will have max area..
so with Hyp as 10 , the max area possible is when the other two sides are equal..
so each side = Hyp/\(\sqrt{2}\)=10/\(\sqrt{2}\)..
area = 1/2 * 10/\(\sqrt{2}\)*10/\(\sqrt{2}\)
=>100/4=25..
so max area possible is 25..
so teh area of ABC can never be >25..
Suff

ANS B



Thanks, so you assumed the triangle to be an isosceles to give the maximum possible area. That is great. How about if statement 2 was AB=11? What would the answer be then? C or E?


The answer will be Statement 2 will be INSUFF and answer will be C..
But the trap lies in assuming C to be the answer without trying for MAX possible AREA..
_________________
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7667
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 04:19
seesharp wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
seesharp wrote:
Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?

1) AC = 6
2) AB = 10


Hi,
whenever we see a restrictions, <,>, atleast etc, more often than not, the answer is possible through a statement..

1) AC = 6
Since, one of the sides is 6, the other can take any value
Insuff..

2) AB = 10
It is given that hyp is 10..
An isosceles right angle triangle will have max area..
so with Hyp as 10 , the max area possible is when the other two sides are equal..
so each side = Hyp/\(\sqrt{2}\)=10/\(\sqrt{2}\)..
area = 1/2 * 10/\(\sqrt{2}\)*10/\(\sqrt{2}\)
=>100/4=25..
so max area possible is 25..
so teh area of ABC can never be >25..
Suff

ANS B



Thanks, so you assumed the triangle to be an isosceles to give the maximum possible area. That is great. How about if statement 2 was AB=11? What would the answer be then? C or E?


Hi seesharp,

the LOGIC, which may help you in some other Qs too, is..
Given sum of any two numbers, the product will be MAX when the two numbers are same..
Example SUM=a+b =10..
max product ab = 10/2 * 10/2= 25..
that is a aand b are 5 each..
try any combination of a and b, product will not >25..
_________________
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2625
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 05:18
seesharp wrote:
Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?

1) AC = 6
2) AB = 10


Follow posting guidelines (link in my signatures). Do make sure to add the OA with the question.
Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1111
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 12:08
chetan2u wrote:

The answer will be Statement 2 will be INSUFF and answer will be C..
But the trap lies in assuming C to be the answer without trying for MAX possible AREA..


Yes, its a C-trap question, Its creator knows that students will not try max area. But why B would be insuff if AB=11? why looking at value 10 of AB makes us look for max area. if its about Pythagorean triplets then we can consider the same for value 6 of AC and choice A would be correct too? Please explain chetan2u
_________________
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2625
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 12:55
HKD1710 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

The answer will be Statement 2 will be INSUFF and answer will be C..
But the trap lies in assuming C to be the answer without trying for MAX possible AREA..


Yes, its a C-trap question, Its creator knows that students will not try max area. But why B would be insuff if AB=11? why looking at value 10 of AB makes us look for max area. if its about Pythagorean triplets then we can consider the same for value 6 of AC and choice A would be correct too? Please explain chetan2u


Its better if you look at a few cases when AB=11.

Case 1: it is an iscosceles right triangle, giving you \(AC=BC=11/\sqrt{2}\) ---> \(Area = 0.5*11/\sqrt{2}*11/\sqrt{2} = 121/4 > 25\) but if

Case 2: \(AC=\sqrt{120}\) and BC =1, you still get AB=11 but in this case, \(Area = 0.5*\sqrt{120}*1\) <25

This is the reason why statement 2 of this hypothetical question will not be sufficient.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 May 2016
Posts: 1
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 14:45
for statement 1. why dont we consider AC=BC , make it an iso triangle & check the area value.
why is the max area applicable to statement 2 only
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 331
CAT Tests
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 18:34
Hi chetan2u,

I was wondering could you please explain where I made a mistake in my solution for statement B?

AB=10, BC=6, AC=5. Area= 15 = We get our "no" value.
AB=10, BC=9, AC=8. Area= 36 = We get our "yes" value.

Hence, insufficient.

I feel like I am making a very foolish mistake somewhere in my solution that I am not able to see for some reason. If you could please tell me where I am making a mistake, I would greatly appreciate it!
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7667
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 21:00
JS1290 wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

I was wondering could you please explain where I made a mistake in my solution for statement B?

AB=10, BC=6, AC=5. Area= 15 = We get our "no" value.
AB=10, BC=9, AC=8. Area= 36 = We get our "yes" value.

Hence, insufficient.

I feel like I am making a very foolish mistake somewhere in my solution that I am not able to see for some reason. If you could please tell me where I am making a mistake, I would greatly appreciate it!


Hi..
You are looking at right angled triangle with hypotenuse as 10, so the other two sides cannot be (6,5) or (9,8)..
Since it is right angled triangle, the square of hypotenuse,10, should be equal to sum of squares of other two sides..
But 6^2+5^2=36+21... This is not equal to 10^2..
Similarly for 9^2+8^2..
The are will be max when both sides are equal , so \(a^2+a^2=10^2....2a^2=100....a=√50\)
This max area is (1/2)*√50*√50=25..
So area will never be >25
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2019, 21:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is the area of the right angled triangle ABC>25?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.