Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 20:26 It is currently 15 May 2024, 20:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1591 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
upadhriti2016 wrote:
Hi,

I will be glad if you could evaluate my profile:
HSLC (10 th Standard) - 82% (From SEBA, State Board)
HSC (12th ) - 78 % (State Board)
B.Tech - Mechanical from NIT Silchar, CGPA - 8.4

Worked Experience:
i) Joined IBM- 3 months (resigned as got into a PSU)
ii) NTPC- 10 years (will be on 19.9.17)
Profile in NTPC, I have worked 5 years (approx) in Operations. Knowledge of Power Plant, Coal Transportation and linkages etc.
5 years (approx) in Materials Management. Knowledge of Logistics, Risk Management, Vendor Relations, SAP, Ware House management etc.
Have received recognition for services in several occasions. Experienced in dealing with reputed PSUs', other manufacturing industries etc. and also with labor class.
Extra Curricular: Nothing extra ordinary. Degree in music. Sports like tennis, badminton etc.
What would be the minimum GMAT score to get a call from ISB. What other alternatives do I have in India as well as abroad.

Regards

Hi Upadhriti

Response from a GyanOne consultant (ISB alum, Co2008):

10 years is on the higher side of the spectrum. You would need to explain not just why you need an MBA now, but where you go post that. Given your rich PSU experience, we do believe that would be doable. You would have a lot to talk about for ISB essay 1, in particular. We had someone with a similar profile (from Nevyeli Lignites) get through last year. A lady working in operations in a PSU has a strong diversity factor, and you should leverage that.

ECA is not a concern in your case, and what you have is sufficient. Focus on a GMAT score of 680+.

On alternatives beyond ISB, please get in touch with us directly and we will be happy to help.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
dreams101 wrote:
Hi all,

My profile is as under:

Background and nationality - Indian female, 29
Undergrad Information - BA (Economics) Hons from Delhi University (1st Division); PGDM (Marketing & HR)
(1st division with distinction)
GMAT: 710 (Q-48 V-41 AWA-6 IR-8)
Work experience - Total:6. 1 year as Associate Consultant at Infosys Technologies Limited (trained in 2 ERP software packages), was team leader. Then joined a government company (PSU) and have been here for 5 yrs. Work in Mergers and Acquisitions. Key role in acquisition of a coal mine in Mozambique. Involved in business development of the mine as well as issues related to funding & tenders.

Community and others -
1. Volunteered with a big CSR organisation (cannot mention name). Worked in Dalit & Naxal infected areas. Taught in schools and helped with medical supplies. Motivated villagers to send girl children to school too.
2. A Dancer at heart. Trained in Shiamak Dawar's classes. Performed onstage.
3. Travelled to around 14 countries.. mainly those whose history excite me.

Post MBA goals
1. Plans to get into consulting with a thrust on Consulting for big Mining Companies such as Rio Tinto, Anglo-American etc.
2. Eventually want to return to India to reform the mining sector here which is characterised by un-economic methods which lead to a negative economical and social impact.

Please provide some insights! :) :)

Hi dreams101

You are very well positioned to make it to ISB. Excellent ECA, strong work-ex, diversity, and clear goals. The only slight hitch is that ISB's ability to get you the niche mining roles abroad you are looking for is low. R1 is 1.5 months away, go for it.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
rishavca wrote:
Hi!
I'm planning to apply for early entry options at ISB.
Profile.
10- 10 CGPA
12- 94%
Bachelor's - 3.4 CGPA.

Extra curriculars
Internship at Harvard University
(Under Harvard International Research Project)
Volunteered for AIESEC, Toastmasters and Global Shapers.
Attended World Bank Youth Summit at Washington DC and other international conferences but my GMAT is 650.

I wanted to know if my extra curriculars will make up for my relatively low GMAT.
( No work experience as just graduated therefore applying for early entry option)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi rishavca

Try and improve that GMAT score by around 40-50 points. EEO admissions are very competitive in terms of GMAT scores, and you have almost no experience to leverage as an asset. The rest of your profile is pretty good though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dreams101 wrote:
Hi all,

My profile is as under:

Background and nationality - Indian female, 29
Undergrad Information - BA (Economics) Hons from Delhi University (1st Division); PGDM (Marketing & HR)
(1st division with distinction)
GMAT: 710 (Q-48 V-41 AWA-6 IR-8)
Work experience - Total:6. 1 year as Associate Consultant at Infosys Technologies Limited (trained in 2 ERP software packages), was team leader. Then joined a government company (PSU) and have been here for 5 yrs. Work in Mergers and Acquisitions. Key role in acquisition of a coal mine in Mozambique. Involved in business development of the mine as well as issues related to funding & tenders.

Community and others -
1. Volunteered with a big CSR organisation (cannot mention name). Worked in Dalit & Naxal infected areas. Taught in schools and helped with medical supplies. Motivated villagers to send girl children to school too.
2. A Dancer at heart. Trained in Shiamak Dawar's classes. Performed onstage.
3. Travelled to around 14 countries.. mainly those whose history excite me.

Post MBA goals
1. Plans to get into consulting with a thrust on Consulting for big Mining Companies such as Rio Tinto, Anglo-American etc.
2. Eventually want to return to India to reform the mining sector here which is characterised by un-economic methods which lead to a negative economical and social impact.

Please provide some insights! :) :)

Hi dreams101,

We think you have a good well-balanced profile with sound academics, work-exp and extracurriculars. The international exposure is unique and definitely helps. If you can package it well to showcase a mix of leadership potential and professional accomplishments, then you definitely stand a chance.
You may also need to think about why PGP now and what did/did not work post PGDM. Another thought we have is that you may be looking at a very small niche with your short-term goals. Our recommendation is to do some research to identify what alumni of your background are doing and what could be a Plan B if your target companies don't come to campus.

Feel free to reach out for a discussion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Satya090 wrote:
Work Ex: 3.5 years
GPA:9.08/10
GMAT: 740(Q49 V40 IR6 AWA5)
EXPERIENCE
Tata Consultancy Services, India,
• Successfully implemented Company’s 1st Cloud based CRM system in 12 diverse business region for a UK-based multinational.
• Designed and implemented deployment strategy for moving a manual sales, marketing and sales management system to a fully automated cloud based system.
• Designed proof of concepts leading to success in winning bids and projects in multiple industry sectors such as telecom and manufacturing.
• Discussed and trained client level users regarding efficient use of desktop and mobile systems for sales and services leading to fetching support contract for the company.
• Mentored 8 trainee associates and leading them to clear certifications and provide billable time to the client.
• Awarded with Star of the Month, Service and Commitment award for continuous learning and tremendous understanding of business systems.
• Awarded with Star Team award for structured and successful migrations leading to 93% customer satisfaction index.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Interests:
• Volunteer in events creating awareness towards social issues such as female foeticide, women education, etc.
• Active volunteer in flood, cyclone relief management teams.
• I run my own website based on travel photo blogs, short fictions, poetries in multiple languages such as English, Hindi and Oriya.
• Part of Corporate Photography Team; Managed the setup of 3 short films along with the role of a producer and screenplay writer.

Achievements:
• Green Friend Award in 2014-2015 for active participation in tree plantation program of Yuga Shrasta, Cuttack.
• Life jacket Honour Award in 2013 for helping flood affected people during severe thunderstorm and cyclone “Phailin” in Coastal Odisha.
• Active participation in the movement against female foeticide.
• Best student volunteer Award 2009-2010 in the field for creating social awareness for women education by The Mayurbhanj Society, Cuttack.
• Awarded 2nd Prize in Photography competition by College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar
• Certificate of Merit by CBSE for outstanding performance in a subject and for being among the top 0.1% of successful candidates.
• Certificate of merit in the 6th National Cyber Olympiad.

Hi Satya090,

It is always a pleasure to see candidates who have built their profile over time. From a great GMAT to awards at work, volunteer stints beyond work and the awards collected over the years, every small accomplishments counts. You've built a great profile and we think that you have all the necessary ingredients.

As next steps, have a look at our essay guidelines and make sure you highlight examples that showcase your strengths best and also are logically linked to your goals: https://www.apphelp.co.in/ISB-Essays.htm

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
akhigandhi wrote:
Dear all,
Please help me gauge my chances of selection at ISB 2016 round of admissions.

Personal profile : Dr. Akhilesh Gandhi, 26 years, male, Indian

Academic backround :
10th from CBSE, India : 85%
12th from Maharashtra State board in PCB : 76%
MBBS from Indira Gandhi Government Medical college, Nagpur : from 2007 to 2013
MBBS average Percentage : 64%(1840/2850 marks)
GMAT : Total score : 680 (Q48 V35 AWA 4.5 and IR 3)
Passed UK professional exam PLAB part 1 and 2 in first attempt

Professional background:
Internship : 12 months : Feb. 2012 to March 2013 in JJ Government hospital and Cama Hospital, Mumbai
Resident medical officer of Oncosurgery: 10 months; from Apr. 2013 to Feb 2014, Central India Cancer Research Institute, Nagpur
Clinical Trust Fellow in Trauma and Orthopedic surgery in London deanery NHS Hospital : 16 months (Current Job)
Resident medical Officer in Ramsay group of hospitals, UK : 4 months
Currently living and working in UK

Total Work experience: 30 months (as on march 2016)

Extra- Curriculars:
Chess: 2 time National chess championship qualifier and one time National bronze medallist in under 19 category. University level gold medallist.
Athletics : state level athlete in 800m 1500m and 4x400m relay.
Social service: Worked in NACO's AIDS awareness campaigns, Worked with Rotary's drive for Leprosy care, Organized Cataract surgical camps in rural parts.
Research work: Got student research paper in field of microbiology selected and awarded at national level by Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR)

Future plan post MBA: Want to build a start-up to provide healthcare services for patients with TB and other Chronic ilnesses like Diabetes etc.

Please help me understand my strengths and weaknesses for the application and odds for selection.

Hi akhigandhi,

You have a well-differentiated profile. The international experience helps too and a GMAT of 680 should see you through. Since the number of applicants from the medical background is growing rapidly, and typically every class has not more than 7-8 doctors, your essays will carry the weight of your application.

You must highlight leadership qualities, basic understanding of a business and clear short-term and long-term goals that show that you are ready to make a shift from diagnostics to corporate.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi please evaluate my profile and chances of conversion and let me know the gmat score that i should aim for ? I really need to do this MBA

SSC : 89 % (Maharashtra State Board.)
HSSC : 70 % (Maharashtra State Board.)
BE Computer Sc : 72 % (Nagpur Univ.)

Work Ex: 3 years 8 months as of now at Zensar Tech(IT Services and consulting) as Business Analyst

Awards and Recognition : School and College held various posts as President and Vice President of student body

No major awards in corporate life.

Hobbies : Voracious reader, graphic design , web design , music

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
BruceWayneBatman wrote:
If anyone has the time please evaluate my profile- Indian IT male candidate with more than 2.5 years work ex as quality associate. I am applying 2nd round ISB. Kya kuch chance banta hai ISB me?:

Academic Background:-
Jaypee Institute of Information Technology 2012 batch
Bachelor of Technology
• Specialization- Computer Science and Engineering
• Percentage – 60%(I know its crap....)
• Class Xth – 91%
• class XIIth – 79%
• ISTQB Foundation Level Certified
• Languages- English,Hindi,Spanish(Basic)

GMAT- 720(Q-47,V-42, AWA-6, IR-5)(retaking in 2-3 weeks before isb deadline to get 750+)

Professional Work Experience:-

NAGARRO SOFTWARE November, 2014- Present
Associate, Quality
• Led a 4 member team consisting of 3 testers and 1 developer to successfully reduce the number of open production issues
• Promoted within 8 months of joining the organization due to exceptional performance and handling of the module

QA INFOTECH June, 2013 – November, 2014
Software Testing Engineer
• Managed a successful module for the client Harvard Business School and ATI, effectively leading a team of 3 testers
• Led a team of 3 including 1 visually impaired colleague for accessibility and usability testing of a mobile application for visually disabled end-users
• Prepared test automation framework as part of automation team to ensure efficient testing and reliable results.

CMC November, 2012 – May, 2013
Software Trainee
• Underwent full time training in Microsoft Dot Net Technologies to enhance my technology skill set from CMC- A subsidiary of Tata Consultancy Services
• Secured an ‘A’ grade (>75% marks) upon completion of the training program

Extra Curricular:-
• As member of Toastmasters International organize weekly toastmaster sessions and help others to overcome their inhibitions in public speaking
• Participated in Airtel Delhi Half Marathon and Decathlon Noida 10K Run - completed the Delhi half marathon in approximately 85 minutes
• As Member of Jaypee Youth Club- organized quiz and debate events in annual cultural festival ‘JIVE’ in 2010 and 2011
• Student volunteer in International Conference on Contemporary Computing held by JIIT in collaboration with University of Florida
• Volunteered for Nagarro Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives by coordinating Tree Plantation and Blood Donation drives.
• As part of CRY I was involved as a volunteer in the event ‘Colorothon’ in November, 2014 in Delhi. The event was a platform for people to show their artist skills and .involved participation of more than 2000 people
• Represented QA Infotech in Concern for India’s 5Cs 5 kilometer marathon where I stood 4th among more than 100 runners and completed the race in less than 18 minutes.
• As volunteer for CRY participated in Max Bupa Walk for Health to raise awareness about health issues and child rights.
• As part of NGO RS Foundation- I taught poor meritorious students subjects such as Maths and English to help them enter the mainstream education system

Future Goal:- Technology consultant with companies such as McKinsey and Bain

Hi BruceWayneBatman,

A good profile overall, but you must remember that you do belong to the competitive IT pool. Therefore, the most important part of your application would be how you are different from your peers. The key to making it to ISB is making sure that this question is clearly answered in your essays.
A 720 GMAT is good, a 750 would definitely boost your chances. Extracurriculars are decent, but rather than a plethora of ECs, it would help if you could demonstrate depth of involvement in even one of them, clearly demonstrating the impact that you have brought about to society.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi please evaluate my profile and chances of conversion and let me know the gmat score that i should aim for ? I really need to do this MBA

Work Ex: 3 years 8 months as of now at Zensar Tech(IT Services and consulting) as Business Analyst

Awards and Recognition : School and College held various posts as President and Vice President of student body

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
Send PM
Hi All,

Can anybody , please help to advice my chances of getting into ISB.

" NPI product Development Engineering lead and lean manufacturing professional with over 12 years of overseas (Malaysia) work experience in Electronic/Semiconductor Manufacturing Industry"

Profile:Male
Nationality: Indian.
Industry: Electronic Manufacturing
Age 33
Married with son
GMAT Score:640 ( Q43,V34)

Education:
M.Tech. (Electrical Engineering) from IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, in the year 2010 with 8.28/10
B.Tech. (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) from JNTU, Hyderabad, India, in the year 2007 with 65.7%
Diploma (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) from JN Govt. Polytechnic, Hyderabad in 2002 with 82.77% (Topper of the Batch)

Other Courses:
Improving SMT PCBA Process (May’12),
SPC-Strategic Process Control (Aug’12)
Statics with JMP10 (Jun’12),
Strategic Presentation Skills(Oct’12)
and Technical Writing Skills ( Apr’12) from ProQual Training & Human Resources, PSDC and Right Capital International at IPOH

Work Experience:
Aug’10-Jan’11 QA Engineer
Jan’11-Aug’12 Failure Analysis Engineer
Aug’13-May’15 Senior NPI Product Engineer
Since May’15 Staff NPI Product Engineer

Extra-Curricular:
- working closely with NGO at Hometown to accelerate and educate youth.

Post MBA:
Operations,General Management, Project Management and Consulting.

Thanks
Raj
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

Can anyone help to advice my chances of getting into ISB.

” NPI product Development Engineering lead and lean manufacturing professional with over 12 years of overseas (Malaysia) work experience in Electronic/Semiconductor Manufacturing Industry”

Age 33
Married with son

Education:
M.Tech. (Electrical Engineering) from IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, in the year 2010 with 8.28/10
B.Tech. (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) from JNTU, Hyderabad, India, in the year 2007 with 65.7%
Diploma (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) from JN Govt. Polytechnic, Hyderabad in 2002 with 82.77% (Topper of the Batch)

Other Courses:
and Technical Writing Skills ( Apr’12) from ProQual Training & Human Resources, PSDC and Right Capital International at IPOH

Work Experience:
Mar'03-Jul'08 Telecom Technical Assistant, BSNL INDIA
Aug’10-Jan’11 QA Engineer, FINISAR MALAYSIA
Jan’11-Aug’12 Failure Analysis Engineer,FINISAR MALAYSIA
Aug’13-May’15 Senior NPI Product Engineer,FINISAR MALAYSIA
Since May’15 Staff NPI Product Engineer,FINISAR MALAYSIA

Extra-Curricular:
– working closely with NGO at Hometown to accelerate and educate youth.

Post MBA:

Thanks in advance
Raj
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1591 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
rajkumarchinthala wrote:
Hi All,

Can anybody , please help to advice my chances of getting into ISB.

" NPI product Development Engineering lead and lean manufacturing professional with over 12 years of overseas (Malaysia) work experience in Electronic/Semiconductor Manufacturing Industry"

Age 33
Married with son

Education:

Other Courses:

Work Experience:
Aug’10-Jan’11 QA Engineer
Jan’11-Aug’12 Failure Analysis Engineer
Aug’13-May’15 Senior NPI Product Engineer
Since May’15 Staff NPI Product Engineer

Extra-Curricular:
- working closely with NGO at Hometown to accelerate and educate youth.

Post MBA:

Thanks
Raj

Hi Raj

Your profile is quite strong from all perspectives, except for two: GMAT score and quantum of work experience. You will be among the most experienced professionals at ISB, if you are selected, and so in your application you will need to have a very strong justification for why you need an MBA at this stage. Also, the GMAT score, while not the biggest criterion at your experience level, is low.

Would recommend you focus closely on your essays to create a good case. While essay 1 should not be an issue, given the rich experience you have, essay 2 (why MBA, and why now) will be critical.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much. Appreciate your help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

You have a lot of positives in your profile specially your international marketing stint. However, you will need to improve your score by atleast 40 points and specially Quant to get a realistic shot at ISB.

Please feel free to reach out to me at arijit.biswas@crackadmission.com if you have any further queries.

Thanks
Arijit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
rajkumarchinthala wrote:
Hi All,

Can anyone help to advice my chances of getting into ISB.

” NPI product Development Engineering lead and lean manufacturing professional with over 12 years of overseas (Malaysia) work experience in Electronic/Semiconductor Manufacturing Industry”

Age 33
Married with son

Education:

Other Courses:

Work Experience:
Mar'03-Jul'08 Telecom Technical Assistant, BSNL INDIA
Aug’10-Jan’11 QA Engineer, FINISAR MALAYSIA
Jan’11-Aug’12 Failure Analysis Engineer,FINISAR MALAYSIA
Aug’13-May’15 Senior NPI Product Engineer,FINISAR MALAYSIA
Since May’15 Staff NPI Product Engineer,FINISAR MALAYSIA

Extra-Curricular:
– working closely with NGO at Hometown to accelerate and educate youth.

Post MBA:

Thanks in advance
Raj

Hi rajkumarchinthala,

A good profile, the international experience and the academic profile help. We are sure there are a lot of leadership examples there too. Couple of thoughts:
- 640 is definitely on the lower side and a score of 680+ should get your closer to the goal
- Operations/General Management roles would make realistic goals for your profile. With 12 years, consulting roles would be difficult to get.

Try giving GMAT another shot and you can make it through.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
rajkumarchinthala wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Raj

Hi Raj,

You have a good profile. I'm not sure if you're targeting the regular PGP course or Executive PGP-PRO or PGP-MAX. The regular full time might not be the best fit for you and is more competitive to get in. I suggest looking at PRO and MAX programs if they are more suited towards your learning and career goals. Having said that, there are higher aged candidate who do get in to regular PGP. Improving your GMAT score as suggested above will go a long way but if you can't afford to spend more time I can understand that. I still encourage you to apply since you will get some benefit of such higher work ex. Hope this helps. Please get in touch if you need any assistance.

Best,
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
apusharm wrote:

Thanks

Hi there,

Your work ex seems fine. But since your have IT education and work background the competition is tough for you guys. You may be a bit low on extra curricular and community involvement too. Involvement during college is good but it needs to be continued even during your work. You need to build an overall profile to get into ISB. Apart from targeting a 700+ in your GMAT you should focus on improving ECA & community service. Try to portray what is special/different about yourself. Hope this helps.

Best,
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  56   57   58   59   60  ...  307