Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:20 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
mallicks123 wrote:
Dear All,

First of all,, I would like to wish all good luck to ppl out there who are applying for ISB this year.

Talking about my Profile, I am a B.Tech graduate of 2014, in the field of Computer Science and Engineering and with 9 DGPA (India-Kolkata).
Experience : 5 years with IBM including 1 year in IBM Indonesia as Service Manager
Field : IT
12th : 92% with National Scholarship from Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt of India

Hobbies : Amateur Photographer & Travel Blogger, Diploma in Painting

GMAT Score : 670 (Q-49, V-32) Retaking in a month and hoping for a better score this time.

Can someone please help me assessing my chances in ISB 2020 batch? Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Dear mallicks123

Your application falls into an Engineering + IT pool. With ~5 years of work experience, you have to carve out the strong differentiation factors in your profile.

From the limited information that you have shared, your international exposure (contribution to the organization during the stint), National Scholarship and your hobbies help you stand apart.

GMAT score of 670 is unfortunately towards the lower end among the pool of candidates that you belong to and let me mention it very specifically, this pool of candidates that you belong to is a very competitive pool across all institutes. While you work on your essays, it's strongly suggested to focus on getting 700+ score. Clarity on ISB PGP and how it will help in your post MBA goals is essential as well.

Feel free to reach out for any further queries.

Best of luck !
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nishantgauragmat wrote:
Hi All,

I need someone to guide me which course I should go for in ISB, IIMs.

Here is my profile.
Age - 33 ( Almost 10 years work exp)
Current Job Role : Tech Lead in an IT company.
10th - 78.6 %
12th - 74.4 %
B Tech(CSE from VIT Vellore) - 8.24 CGPA

GMAT - 640 (I will take another test after 1 month. Hope to improve my score)
Goal - to get into leadership or strategy role.

I would prefer Indian colleges ISB, IIM(AB).
If I get a good score in my next attempt I can go abroad also.
Someone can help me in evaluating my profile and guide me.

Hi Nishant,

You should try for the IIMs executive MBAs - most notable ones are A, B and C. ISB has two programs that you can consider - their flagship PGP and the newly started PGP Pro for senior managers. PGP is a full-time residential program that runs out of Hyderabad and Mohali. You will have a class of students ranging from 2-20 years' experience, while the average exp will be close to 5 years. PGP Pro is a course for people who don't want to quit their jobs as classes are held during weekends and online. This could be better suited to you if you are just aiming for career progression and are not looking at major changes in your work profile; you may also wish to continue with the same employer post MBA, but at an accelerated career path.

The choice is really yours in terms of the kind of experience you wish to get out of MBA.

If you wish to go abroad, consider programs such as MIT Sloan Fellows, Stanford MSx, and LBS Sloan fellows Program. Another one is iBEAR. These are superb options for senior applicants.

In terms of profile evaluation, you haven't shared much info about yourself. Generally speaking, you will build your applications on your strengths. Most important are: leadership skills, career progression, ability to handle quantitative rigor and logical career goals
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: ISB '21
Send PM
Hi,

It would be great if someone can help in evaluating my profile and suggest what GMAT score should I aim for and chances for me in R1 for ISB.

Male 27

Academics:-
10th : 85%
12th: 90%
BTech - Mechanical Engg - 9.0/10 CGPA - Tier1 College

Work Ex :-
Total Exp : 5 Yrs
Industry : Automotive - Passenger Cars
Company : European Giant
Role : Product Development for Passenger vehicles
Involved in PD for Multiple Project in Germany, Italy, Russia, China, South Korea [No onsite]
Also worked for 4 Indian Vehicles
predominantly Engineering Activity with Managing Projects, Training Juniors and Lead a small Team of 4

Post MBA Goals :- Consulting [Strategy and Leadership]

What should be my safe score for GMAT and What are the chances of getting through ISB for Round 1 this year (2020 Intake)?

Thanks.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
niffler wrote:
Hi,

It would be great if someone can help in evaluating my profile and suggest what GMAT score should I aim for and chances for me in R1 for ISB.

Male 27

Involved in PD for Multiple Project in Germany, Italy, Russia, China, South Korea [No onsite]
predominantly Engineering Activity with Managing Projects, Training Juniors and Lead a small Team of 4

What should be my safe score for GMAT and What are the chances of getting through ISB for Round 1 this year (2020 Intake)?

Thanks.

Hi Niffler,
you have a good profile and you should really leverage your substantial work experience to show career progression and good achievements that impacted the company's bottom line.
In terms of GMAT, there is no safe score really. Its desirable to get a score ~ 720 and that's what I will push you to target.
You'd have a fair shot of getting into ISB with a solid application and an equally good interview. Reach out if you need help.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
saileebh wrote:
Hey,

Please evaluate my profile for ISB:

GMAT Score: 690 [Quant:50 , Verbal:33, I.R.:8 , AWA:5]

Educational Qualifications:

Graduation: Completed B.E in Computer Science from Mumbai University in 2012 with 78%.
H.S.C: secured 92.17% from Science stream from Maharashtra Board in 2008.
S.S.C: secured 88.33% from Maharashtra Board in 2006.

Work Experience:
Working as a Quality Analyst in ThoughtWorks for 21 months now.

Extra Curricular:
I spoke at Grace Hopper Conference (GHC), Bangalore in 2013 about Accessibility Testing and also in an ThoughtWorks internal testing conference VodQA about Security testing. I also have attended OWASP security conference in the same year.
I have also participate in organizing different internal events for ThoughtWorks.

I love meeting different people, conversing with them.
I love playing different outdoor sports like cricket, volleyball, basketball,etc. Also, I participated in different sports since school days.

Hi saileebh

Please provide some more details on the kind of projects you have done so far. The GMAT at 690 seems a bit low for a tech profile (and btw, with a Q50, V33, you do certainly have the potential to get a 720+, in case you are up for it), but you have done some differentiated work at the conferences, and ThoughtWorks is not the average IT company. Let us evaluate. You can also contact us directly at the coordinates given below.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi All,

Could someone please evaluate my profile and let me know what chance do I have into getting into ISB and what would be the ideal GMAT score for the same?

Male 23

10th: 80% ICSE
12th: 60% PUC
UG:BSc Biotechnology,Chemistry & Zoology 65%

Work Ex: (Total 2.5 years)
Company 1:India's largest entertainment brand (1.8 years of which got promoted within 16 months of joining)
Industry: Retail
Role: Marketing for a city

Company 2: Leading Jewellery Brand (10 months - Present)
Industry: Retail
Role: Marketing at the regional level

Achievements:
- volunteered with a social organization while in college and Led a Team of 35 to reduce the school dropout rate in India impacting the lives of over 400+ kids
- Hit the all time sales record while interning at Re-commerce startup within 2 months of the internship
- Piloted a project with my first company to drive footfall and sales which led to increased revenues and walk-ins at Zero cost.
- Delivered the highest ROI at the lowest spend with my current company

Extra Curricular: football, current affairs and dabble in the stock market

Post MBA Goals: Marketing (at a leadership level)

GMAT: Preparing for the same. What would be the ideal score to aim for?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
akashguha2705 wrote:
Hello all, here is my profile!!

Name: Akash Guha, M, 25
GMAT: 720 (Q50, V35)

Academic Background:-
Board: CBSE
Standard X: 9 CGPA/10
Standard XII: 70.2%
B. Tech (Civil Engineering_Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology): 60.9 %

Work Experience: 2 years in a private construction firm based in Guwahati – where i worked as an Office Executive managing the e-tendering bidding process and documentation; and worked as a Site Engineer for 6 months.
I have also started my own firm and is a licensed contractor with the Indian Oil Corporation Limited for transportation of Bulk LPG by road in tank trucks for a period of 5 years starting from November 2018

Extra Curricular activities-

School:
-Was awarded best Percussionist and won several awards in Table Tennis and Football
-Represented N.F. Railway for Table Tennis at the District Level
- Was the captain of Table Tennis team and played two Inter CBSE Cluster I championships.
- Was a member of school music team as a percussionist and played at several charity events and Inter school events.
*Apart from that I have two Degrees (Visharaad) in Tabla from (Bhatkhande and Chandigarh University*
*A Diploma in Fine Arts (Bangla Sangeet Parishad*
*A Diploma in AutoCAD*

College:
- Vice Captain of the winners’ team in Inter Departmental Football Championship
- was a member of the college Photography Club.
- was a participant in the music team.

My career goal after graduation is to transition into Consulting role for a Technology, Engineering or Infrastructure company.

I am also involved in volunteering months for my local community for Specially abled Children.

Hi akashguha2705

- Most of your experience so far has been e-tendering focused. The site experience is there, but is only 6 months. The entrepreneurial experience (LPG transportation) helps but that may not be enough to convince the ISB adcom of enough of a background to switch to consulting. Also, you will run across the question on why you would want to leave for an MBA (and then a different career) so soon after founding your firm, and even having a five-year contract. You can do it and explain, but you need to refine your story further.
- Technology consulting will be tough for you to get into; Infra/EPC is possible, but as noted above, might need some more exposure.
- Rest all (ECA, leadership) is fine. No concerns there. Acads in college are a bit low, but they are compensated for by the GMAT.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hello,
I am a 2013 Btech graduate from NIT Jamshedpur with CGPA 8.4
I have close to 6 years of work experience majorly in Sales/Business Development profiles.
Current organisation - Paytm
Past organisations - Flipkart, Mahindra & Mahindra, Honda
12th - 73%
10th - 72%

Extra curricular:

Placement coordinator - NIT Jamshedpur
I have played Nationals (under 14years) in Cricket (unfortunately I have lost the certificate but have state level certificate. Can someone tell me whether I can mention this in my form if I don't have the certificate with me now)
I have also represented my college in many Inter NIT cricket tournaments.

My age is 29 years and I plan to write GMAT in Aug'19.
I am targeting ISB and IIM B.

Can someone help me understand what min GMAT score I should be aiming at for these colleges with this profile ? Also, what effect will the age factor have on my application to ISB.

Thanking in advance.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Alekh19 wrote:
Hello,
I am a 2013 Btech graduate from NIT Jamshedpur with CGPA 8.4
I have close to 6 years of work experience majorly in Sales/Business Development profiles.
Current organisation - Paytm
Past organisations - Flipkart, Mahindra & Mahindra, Honda
12th - 73%
10th - 72%

Extra curricular:

Placement coordinator - NIT Jamshedpur
I have played Nationals (under 14years) in Cricket (unfortunately I have lost the certificate but have state level certificate. Can someone tell me whether I can mention this in my form if I don't have the certificate with me now)
I have also represented my college in many Inter NIT cricket tournaments.

My age is 29 years and I plan to write GMAT in Aug'19.
I am targeting ISB and IIM B.

Can someone help me understand what min GMAT score I should be aiming at for these colleges with this profile ? Also, what effect will the age factor have on my application to ISB.

Thanking in advance.

Hi Alekh19

- Your overall professional profile seems to be fine, with 4 jobs in 6 years as the only concern. If your latest stint at PayTM is 1+ years long, you should be ok.
- You can claim an extra-curricular achievement without the certificate at the point of admissions. However, do try and get a duplicate copy issued for later (at the point of joining) just in case.
- The age factor is not negative for you here. It will not be a consideration. The minimum GMAT you should look at to be competitive at both schools is 700+. Especially for IIMB, do try and increase the score as far above 700 as you can, as your 10/12 grades are low, and they look at that as well even for the EPGP. You college grades are strong.
- Just curious - if IIMB, then why not also IIMC/A?

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
LeoN88 wrote:
prags1989 wrote:
Hi,

I am 29 Year old female, currently working in JP Morgan

Education,
Engineering in Information Technology
CGPA - 6.7

MBA from Nirma University in Operations Management
Score - 2.3/4.2

I finished my MBA in 2016, After 3 years of work in JP Morgan as operations analyst, I want to transform my job profile and want to pursue my career in Marketing.

GMAT - Will write this July

Extra Curricular -
Girls cricket team captain in MBA , won gold medal
Carrom , Silver Medal twice

Can someone help me to understand my chance of getting into ISB ?

Thanks,

Please usethis thread for profile evaluation. Also it'll help you to gauge your candidacy against other prospective applicants.

Completely agree. Unfortunately, most people are not aware and so they keep posting on these threads. If you or some other admin can help move all these to the profile eval thread would be really helpful to have all queries/responses at one place.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
GyanOne
Thank you for your response. It will definitely be helpful.
I would complete 1 year at Paytm in September this year. So yeah I will have 1+ year in my current organisation.
Also, I have heard better reviews for IIM B than for IIM C/A. I would request you to help me understand if all these three are more or less the same standards. and how do these stand compared to ISB.

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Alekh19 wrote:
GyanOne
Thank you for your response. It will definitely be helpful.
I would complete 1 year at Paytm in September this year. So yeah I will have 1+ year in my current organisation.
Also, I have heard better reviews for IIM B than for IIM C/A. I would request you to help me understand if all these three are more or less the same standards. and how do these stand compared to ISB.

Thanks

Hi Alekh19

Yes, they are quite comparable. You can still have your preferences among them, though, as IIMB will be stronger in Digital and IT roles, but do apply to A and C as well. ISB is a given for you to apply to anyway.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Dear Team

Can you please evaluate my profile?

Class X: 67.2
Class XII: 65.2

B. Tech in Electrical and Electronics: 70.70

Total Experience of 9 Yrs in Semiconductor Domain. (Company: Applied Materials). ( Works as Sr Electrical Engineer)

Joined as GET in the serviced based company and supported Applied Material as a contractor for 5 yrs. Post 5 Yrs working with Applied as a direct employee. International Exposure of 1 Yr in ( USA)

Worked with more than five different teams within the ORG. Certified System Engineer from CALTECH.

Extra Co-Curricular:
Leading Food Drive Team since from 5 Yrs:: Whatever the amount raised by the org help to support the needy children ( Always achieved the target of feeding more than 200 children for complete one year)
Cultural Champion in the organization: Monitoring and Supporting more than 300 people to inculcate the values of the Organisation for two years.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Apoorv07 wrote:
Dear Team

Total Experience of 9 Yrs in Semiconductor Domain. (Company: Applied Materials). ( Works as Sr Electrical Engineer)

Joined as GET in the serviced based company and supported Applied Material as a contractor for 5 yrs. Post 5 Yrs working with Applied as a direct employee. International Exposure of 1 Yr in ( USA)

Worked with more than five different teams within the ORG. Certified System Engineer from CALTECH.

Extra Co-Curricular:
Leading Food Drive Team since from 5 Yrs:: Whatever the amount raised by the org help to support the needy children ( Always achieved the target of feeding more than 200 children for complete one year)
Cultural Champion in the organization: Monitoring and Supporting more than 300 people to inculcate the values of the Organisation for two years.

Hi Apoorv07

Thanks for posting. Please also report your GMAT score and mention your career goals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Dear Team

GMAT SCORE: Planned to Appear in August.

Short Term Goal: Adding the management skills to my technical expertise. This is required for career advancement.

Long Term Goal: Leadership roles that help in enhancing innovations. These innovations will make possible technology shaping the future.

Extra Co-Curricular:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Apoorv07 wrote:
Dear Team

GMAT SCORE: Planned to Appear in August.

Short Term Goal: Adding the management skills to my technical expertise. This is required for career advancement.

Long Term Goal: Leadership roles that help in enhancing innovations. These innovations will make possible technology shaping the future.

Extra Co-Curricular:

Hi Apoorv,

9 years experience is pretty substantial, so I am hoping that you have done some great work in your company. The adcoms evaluate applicants on their career progression, their initiatives, achievements and team leadership, and their clarity of thought in career goals. Unfortunately, I have not got a sense of these from the description above. The devil as they say, lies in the details and when you submit your application, its these details that ISB will look for. Your goals need to be more insightful - typically you'd include the type of company you'd work for post MBA and in what possible role. Long term, you'd mention what high scale impact you'll make within your industry.
At 9+ years of work experience, you will be among the senior candidates. Therefore the adcom would really look for clarity on your immediate post MBA goals and also want to understand if you really need a PGP MBA to achieve them. Keep in mind, ISB also has a part time program, the PGP Pro and you will also be a viable candidate for that program, so you should really make your case clear as to why the PGP is a good fit for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
niffler wrote:
Hi,

Male 27

Thanks.

Hi @niffler

To address important thing first, there is no safer score for GMAT, higher the better. Just focus on getting a higher GMAT score with multiple helpful threads on GMAT club. There are plethora of questions with detailed discussions that will really help you prepare better for the D day. Further, take enough mocks and analyze each and every of them. In short spend time on analysis, why did you choose an answer whether right/wrong.

Your academics so far is good. With work experience of ~5 years, you are at a good spot in terms of going for an MBA since you already have good level of industry exposure. Coming from non-IT sector is an added advantage since you will add to the diversity and quality of the class.

Your role and achievements mentioned here need to be articulated well so that it aligns with your post MBA goals. Please feel free to reach out for additional queries.

All the Best !
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  134   135   136   137   138  ...  307