Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [39]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [10]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [6]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Re: It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it [#permalink]
Ivan91 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
Hello mohnish104

I'm glad to explain. This question is about parallelism.

It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position

(A) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to
Wrong. Parallelism problem: leave it,.... ice it, and to lie with it...

(B) all one can do for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone to heal itself, to ice it, and
Wrong. Parallelism problem: to leave it, .....to ice it, .....and lie with it..

(C) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, and then ice it and
Wrong. Meaning problem: leave it.... and then ice it and lie with it...
Secondly, "one" is not clear.

(D) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and
Correct. Parallel structure: leave it...., ice it, and lie with it.....

(E) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone while it heals itself, to ice it, and

Wrong. Parallelism problem: to leave it..........., to ice it, and lie with it..........

Hope it helps.

D makes no sense because it says " the only thing that can be done" and then actually not one but three things are listed...hionestly all answers are bad...questions like this make me wonder why I practice with sources other than the OG

You are right. I sometime am very unsure when not practicing OG questions.

However, I chose D over C because I thnk that the added "then" in C is more of a problem than the "the only thing one can do". But I'm not satisfied with the question either.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The difference between "all one can do" and "the only that can be done" is problematic. I prefer the former, by a long shot, even though the "OA" (I put it in quotes, because it has no OFFICIAL source.) for the first question here chooses the latter. I'm not sure if it's a straight issue, but I think it's quite unclear who is doing the action in that answer.

It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position.

(A) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to
PROBLEM: The list starts after the word "is". Then we get a list, meaning we need parallelism. "leave" and "ice" are parallel. But "to lie" is not.

(B) all one can do for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone to heal itself, to ice it, and
PROBLEM: This time, we lost the "to" on the last item".

(C) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, and then ice it and
PROBLEM: This doesn't make sense. If you the "then" in, it sounds like you're icing it after leaving it alone while it heals. But that's illogical.

(D) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and
ANSWER: Leave, ice, and lie are all parallel. However, I still hold "the only thing...is leave, ice..., and elevate..." is ridiculous on two separate levels. First, how is that a thing? Secondly, how is that ONE thing?

(E) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone while it heals itself, to ice it, and
PROBLEM: We lost our last "to" again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it [#permalink]
It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position

this is pure parallelism
A X,Y and to Z incorrect
B to X,to Y and Z incorrect
C then ice it not correct as per the meaning of sentence
D X,Y and Z correct
E to X,to Y and Z incorrect
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
My usual disclaimer: HUGE amounts of resources are poured into every single official GMAT question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete. And there are clearly some issues with this question.

I'm cool with the parallelism part of the question: it's easy enough to discard (A), (B), and (E) because of clearly botched parallelism, as pqhai indicated.

Beyond that... well, I'm really not convinced by (C) or (D), to be honest. You're onto something, RMD007: "the only thing is"... three different things? Nope, that makes no real sense. "The only things ARE..." would be OK, I guess.

And the meaning of the sentence is also pretty murky. It doesn't make sense to me to say that all you can do for a sprained ankle is "leave it alone" -- but then we're also going to ice it and lie with it in an elevated position? That's pretty contradictory.

So the parallelism lesson here is reasonable enough, but I don't think it's worth expending much effort distinguishing between (C) and (D).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
I thought that C changes the meaning, was I wrong? As I understand, 'Then' in C implies some order of actions (we first do this, and then the other two things) while there is no such order in original sentence?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Yeah, I think you're onto something there, kivalo. I think you could make a decent argument for (C) on that basis -- though I still think it's weird to say that you'd "leave it alone while it heals itself", and THEN ice it... presumably after it has already healed itself?

Actual GMAT questions really don't leave this much room for debate. So again, I wouldn't waste too much energy debating between (C) and (D). As long as you're clear about the parallelism issue, you're all good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Waw... Bunuel can you please explain the difference between this question and another one very similar "It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe."

I'm getting so much confused...
Many thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
A lacks parallelism - leave it, ice it and to lie
B - same issue as A
C- changes the meaning by changing the things to do with a sprained ankle to the sequence of things to do.
D - no errors
E - lacks parallelism

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
My usual disclaimer: HUGE amounts of resources are poured into every single official GMAT question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete. And there are clearly some issues with this question.

I'm cool with the parallelism part of the question: it's easy enough to discard (A), (B), and (E) because of clearly botched parallelism, as pqhai indicated.

Beyond that... well, I'm really not convinced by (C) or (D), to be honest. You're onto something, RMD007: "the only thing is"... three different things? Nope, that makes no real sense. "The only things ARE..." would be OK, I guess.

And the meaning of the sentence is also pretty murky. It doesn't make sense to me to say that all you can do for a sprained ankle is "leave it alone" -- but then we're also going to ice it and lie with it in an elevated position? That's pretty contradictory.

So the parallelism lesson here is reasonable enough, but I don't think it's worth expending much effort distinguishing between (C) and (D).

Your answer gave me much needed solace that I am not the only one thinking on the same line as you mentioned it out.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts