GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2011, 23:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:01) correct 21% (01:06) wrong based on 1414 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the formation of planetary nebulas, may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other at close range.

(A) may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other

(B) may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other

(C) are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other

(D) are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other

(E) are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2013, 09:22
It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the formation of planetary nebulas, may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other at close range.

A. may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other
Wrong.
- Likely + may ==> redundant.
- "where" modifies "the interaction" incorrectly ==> should be "the interaction in which....."

B. may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other
Wrong.
- Likely + may ==> redundant.
- "that each orbit the other" is not grammatical ==> should be "that orbit each other".

C. are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other
Wrong.
- Note: Two idioms are correct: "between X and Y" --OR-- "between two X's" ==> do not assume "between two X's" is wrong.
- Redundant: "are caused by X" is better than "are because of X". GMAT prefers the order V-A-N (verb-adjective-noun). You should not use noun form if a verb form can do. Verb forms always convey better meaning than noun forms.
- Redundant: "interaction of" may be regarded better than "interaction between".

D. are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other
Wrong.
- "where" modifies "the interaction" incorrectly ==> should be "the interaction in which....."
- Progressive tense (is orbiting) is not necessary. Simple present tense is better.

E. are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other
Correct.
Avoid redundant errors ==> correct & the most concise.

Hope it helps.
General Discussion
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge
Re: It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2011, 23:58
This SC is checking for redundancy and pronoun ambiguity. It has to be E.

each other and between are redundant.
Intern
Intern
Re: It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2011, 00:12
Use of maybe in A and B is redundant.
In C astronomical phenomena are because of - is wrong. IMO because cannot follow a to be verb form? If someone can explain it better?
D is wordy.
OA is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Mar 2011, 07:41
rohu27 wrote:
Use of maybe in A and B is redundant.
In C astronomical phenomena are because of - is wrong. IMO because cannot follow a to be verb form? If someone can explain it better?
D is wordy.
OA is E

exactly the doubt i had, why is the usage of 'caused by' in E better than 'because' as a verb in C ?

Originally posted by garimavyas on 02 Mar 2011, 06:06.
Last edited by garimavyas on 02 Mar 2011, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2011, 06:56

C should read -> between two orbiting stars. or between x and y. The last one is tough here.

between and each other are redundant.

D uses "other". 2 reasons to reject D
a. "where" - used for geographical location. Unless the author has the abilty to watch the location of the phenomenon in the galaxy, this is not appropriate.
b. "other" is substandard.

E avoids redundancy and stays away from idiom. Clever !
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2013, 05:23
For explanation on C why it is wrong check the following link.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... t7267.html
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 22:58
garimavyas wrote:

A. may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other
B. may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other
D. are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other
E. are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other

Option 'C' is wrong because "a number of astronomical phenomena" is a noun and "caused by" or "due to" goes with a Noun. Had is been "The occurrence of astronomical phenomena" then "because of" would have been an acceptable solution. Verbs go with "because of".
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 16:42
Guys. Even though each one of you got right answer but the explantion each of you has provided is wrong.
"Due to/caused by"is used to modify nouns and "becuase of" modifies verbs. Here 'caused by' successfully modifies "the formation of nebulas" so usgae of caused by is correct in A,B,D,E but still
A- INCORRECT- likely+ maybe- redundant and usage of 'where' incorrect
B- INCORRECT- likely+maybe- redundant. Interaction between - idiomatically incorrect
C- INCORRECT- 'because off' cant modify noun i.e, "the formation of nebulas"
D- INCORRECT- usage of 'where' incorrect
E- CORRECT- no redundant. 'Caused by' usage correct. 'orbiting' correctly modifies "interaction of two starts"

Hope i am correct. 8-)

Kudo it if you like
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 23:11
tripathymadhu31 wrote:
"becuase of" modifies verbs.

Can you let me know exactly where you read this. I am trying to correlate with the following example: Suresh was poor because of circumstances.

This sentences seems to be correct to me, though here, "because of" modifies "poor", which is an adjective and not a verb; or are you suggesting the usage of "because of" is incorrect here?

tripathymadhu31 wrote:
Here 'caused by' successfully modifies "the formation of nebulas"

I believe "caused by" is actually modifying "astronomical phenomena".
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 09:43
sukanyar wrote:
tripathymadhu31 wrote:
"becuase of" modifies verbs.

Can you let me know exactly where you read this. I am trying to correlate with the following example: Suresh was poor because of circumstances.

This sentences seems to be correct to me, though here, "because of" modifies "poor", which is an adjective and not a verb; or are you suggesting the usage of "because of" is incorrect here?

tripathymadhu31 wrote:
Here 'caused by' successfully modifies "the formation of nebulas"

I believe "caused by" is actually modifying "astronomical phenomena".[/quote][/quote]

I agree " caused by" modifies "astronomical phenomena" in real. Since " formation of nebulas" is given as an example of " astronomical phenomena", i wrote the other one in haste.

Regarding your doubt yes "poor" is an adjective. But it is a predicate adjective and was - linking verb.
Ask the question " why was suresh poor?" Ans- circumstances. So here "because of" is modifying the verb.
If u want to use here "due to" or "caused by" then the sentence should be " the poverty of suresh was due to circumstances". Ask the question " reason of suresh's poverty?" Ans - circumstances.so "due to" is successfully modifying noun. Actually in the other case " usage of "due to" would have been used to explain the reason behind the verb.

I read this concept in egmat zip file that contains approximately 30 concepts found somewhere in this club. It is too clear. U can browse in net and get it.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2015, 17:12

A. may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other (may and seem are redundant)
B. may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other (again may and seem are redundant)

C. are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other ( between requires and)
D. are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other ( where is use for place eg; that is the home,where he lives)
E. are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other[/quote]

I hope so this explanation helps. :)
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 13:34
1st split - where - can modify only places
2nd split - may and seem - redundancy A,B - out

(A) may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other

(B) may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other -

(C) are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other - GMAT preferes the ideom interaction of rather than interaction between

(D) are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other - out where

(E) are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other - correct answer
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2019, 04:35
IMO, the difference between C & E is the usage of "caused by" and "because".

Caused by is always followed by noun and is easily replaced by DUE TO.
Because is used with a clause.

For example :

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the formation of planetary nebulas, are caused by the interaction ....

Here, a number of astronomical phenomena is a NOUN.

Had the sentence been,
It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena have been proved wrong because .....

The colored portion is a clause, hence followed by because.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 07:23
Shouldn't we use interaction between rather than interaction of? I thought interaction between is the correct usage.
AjiteshArun, Could you please clarify if both are acceptable usages?

Thanks
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 20:37
anud33p wrote:
Shouldn't we use interaction between rather than interaction of? I thought interaction between is the correct usage.
AjiteshArun, Could you please clarify if both are acceptable usages?

Thanks
Hi anud33p,

Yes, both are acceptable.
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 21:05
Is it a rule that 'between' should ALWAYS be followed by an 'and'?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 23:26
himanshurajawat wrote:
Is it a rule that 'between' should ALWAYS be followed by an 'and'?
We could always go with something like:

Take a break between sections.
S
GPA: 3.92
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2019, 03:33
Quote:

I am always struggling with singular/plural subjects. How would it be possible for us to identify whether this is a singular or plural subject?
Re: It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2019, 03:33

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics