GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2011, 23:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:58) correct 20% (01:02) wrong based on 1803 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the formation of planetary nebulas, may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other at close range.

(A) may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other

(B) may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other

(C) are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other

(D) are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other

(E) are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2013, 09:22
2013gmat wrote:
Hi,
why c is wrong ?
Is it because of the wordiness ?
thanks

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the formation of planetary nebulas, may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other at close range.

A. may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other
Wrong.
- Likely + may ==> redundant.
- "where" modifies "the interaction" incorrectly ==> should be "the interaction in which....."

B. may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other
Wrong.
- Likely + may ==> redundant.
- "that each orbit the other" is not grammatical ==> should be "that orbit each other".

C. are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other
Wrong.
- Note: Two idioms are correct: "between X and Y" --OR-- "between two X's" ==> do not assume "between two X's" is wrong.
- Redundant: "are caused by X" is better than "are because of X". GMAT prefers the order V-A-N (verb-adjective-noun). You should not use noun form if a verb form can do. Verb forms always convey better meaning than noun forms.
- Redundant: "interaction of" may be regarded better than "interaction between".

D. are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other
Wrong.
- "where" modifies "the interaction" incorrectly ==> should be "the interaction in which....."
- Progressive tense (is orbiting) is not necessary. Simple present tense is better.

E. are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other
Correct.
Avoid redundant errors ==> correct & the most concise.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

General Discussion
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge
Re: It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2011, 23:58
This SC is checking for redundancy and pronoun ambiguity. It has to be E.

each other and between are redundant.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2011, 00:12
Use of maybe in A and B is redundant.
In C astronomical phenomena are because of - is wrong. IMO because cannot follow a to be verb form? If someone can explain it better?
D is wordy.
OA is E

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

If my post made you think, KUDO it. Its easy :D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Mar 2011, 07:41
rohu27 wrote:
In C astronomical phenomena are because of - is wrong. IMO because cannot follow a to be verb form? If someone can explain it better?
D is wordy.
OA is E

exactly the doubt i had, why is the usage of 'caused by' in E better than 'because' as a verb in C ?

Originally posted by garimavyas on 02 Mar 2011, 06:06.
Last edited by garimavyas on 02 Mar 2011, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2011, 06:56

C should read -> between two orbiting stars. or between x and y. The last one is tough here.

between and each other are redundant.

D uses "other". 2 reasons to reject D
a. "where" - used for geographical location. Unless the author has the abilty to watch the location of the phenomenon in the galaxy, this is not appropriate.
b. "other" is substandard.

E avoids redundancy and stays away from idiom. Clever !
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2011, 07:22
Garima,

I found excellent explanation for this on one of the MGMAT's forms by Ron Purewal.
As im new to this forum not sure if i can paste outside links. Let me know if i can do tht.

garimavyas wrote:
rohu27 wrote:
D is wordy.
OA is E

exactly the doubt i had, why is the usage of 'caused by' in E better than 'because' as a verb is C ?

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

If my post made you think, KUDO it. Its easy :D

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2013, 05:23
For explanation on C why it is wrong check the following link.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... t7267.html
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 04:51
A. may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other (Redundant likely , may ..)
B. may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other (Redundant likely -may same meaning )
C. are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other (between x and y - idiom -wrong use of idiom )
D. are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other (awkward )
E. are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other (Correct)

Hope it helps :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 22:58
garimavyas wrote:

Option 'C' is wrong because "a number of astronomical phenomena" is a noun and "caused by" or "due to" goes with a Noun. Had is been "The occurrence of astronomical phenomena" then "because of" would have been an acceptable solution. Verbs go with "because of".
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-27-2013
GPA: 3.04
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 21:51
'caused by' or 'due to'->modifies noun
'because of'->modifies verb-> C incorrect
'where' incorrectly refers to 'interaction'->A,D incorrect
felt that each orbit the other was wordy-> B incorrect.
Chose E-> Correct
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 16:42
Guys. Even though each one of you got right answer but the explantion each of you has provided is wrong.
"Due to/caused by"is used to modify nouns and "becuase of" modifies verbs. Here 'caused by' successfully modifies "the formation of nebulas" so usgae of caused by is correct in A,B,D,E but still
A- INCORRECT- likely+ maybe- redundant and usage of 'where' incorrect
B- INCORRECT- likely+maybe- redundant. Interaction between - idiomatically incorrect
C- INCORRECT- 'because off' cant modify noun i.e, "the formation of nebulas"
D- INCORRECT- usage of 'where' incorrect
E- CORRECT- no redundant. 'Caused by' usage correct. 'orbiting' correctly modifies "interaction of two starts"

Hope i am correct. 8-)

Kudo it if you like
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 23:11
tripathymadhu31 wrote:
"becuase of" modifies verbs.

Can you let me know exactly where you read this. I am trying to correlate with the following example: Suresh was poor because of circumstances.

This sentences seems to be correct to me, though here, "because of" modifies "poor", which is an adjective and not a verb; or are you suggesting the usage of "because of" is incorrect here?

tripathymadhu31 wrote:
Here 'caused by' successfully modifies "the formation of nebulas"

I believe "caused by" is actually modifying "astronomical phenomena".
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 09:43
sukanyar wrote:
tripathymadhu31 wrote:
"becuase of" modifies verbs.

Can you let me know exactly where you read this. I am trying to correlate with the following example: Suresh was poor because of circumstances.

This sentences seems to be correct to me, though here, "because of" modifies "poor", which is an adjective and not a verb; or are you suggesting the usage of "because of" is incorrect here?

tripathymadhu31 wrote:
Here 'caused by' successfully modifies "the formation of nebulas"

I believe "caused by" is actually modifying "astronomical phenomena".[/quote][/quote]

I agree " caused by" modifies "astronomical phenomena" in real. Since " formation of nebulas" is given as an example of " astronomical phenomena", i wrote the other one in haste.

Regarding your doubt yes "poor" is an adjective. But it is a predicate adjective and was - linking verb.
Ask the question " why was suresh poor?" Ans- circumstances. So here "because of" is modifying the verb.
If u want to use here "due to" or "caused by" then the sentence should be " the poverty of suresh was due to circumstances". Ask the question " reason of suresh's poverty?" Ans - circumstances.so "due to" is successfully modifying noun. Actually in the other case " usage of "due to" would have been used to explain the reason behind the verb.

I read this concept in egmat zip file that contains approximately 30 concepts found somewhere in this club. It is too clear. U can browse in net and get it.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2015, 17:12

A. may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other (may and seem are redundant)
B. may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other (again may and seem are redundant)

C. are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other ( between requires and)
D. are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other ( where is use for place eg; that is the home,where he lives)
E. are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other[/quote]

I hope so this explanation helps. :)
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 03:53

"a number of astronomical phenomena" is a collective noun and it can be followed by due to/caused by interaction but it cannot be followed by because of
Therefore C is out.
A ad B are out since may is redundant since likely is already present in the sentence to convey the similar meaning. Also where and between are used wrongly.
where is also used wrongly in option D making it an incorrect option.
So E is the answer.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 22:51
garimavyas wrote:
rohu27 wrote:
D is wordy.
OA is E

exactly the doubt i had, why is the usage of 'caused by' in E better than 'because' as a verb in C ?

Because of are used to modify verbs.

Due to caused by are used to modify nouns

In this case the caused by is modifying formation which is a noun ... so use caused by
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 16:39
tripathymadhu31 wrote:
Guys. Even though each one of you got right answer but the explantion each of you has provided is wrong.
"Due to/caused by"is used to modify nouns and "becuase of" modifies verbs. Here 'caused by' successfully modifies "the formation of nebulas" so usgae of caused by is correct in A,B,D,E but still
A- INCORRECT- likely+ maybe- redundant and usage of 'where' incorrect
B- INCORRECT- likely+maybe- redundant. Interaction between - idiomatically incorrect
C- INCORRECT- 'because off' cant modify noun i.e, "the formation of nebulas"
D- INCORRECT- usage of 'where' incorrect
E- CORRECT- no redundant. 'Caused by' usage correct. 'orbiting' correctly modifies "interaction of two starts"

Hope i am correct. 8-)

Kudo it if you like

I think you are partially correct in a sense that "because of" is an adverbial phrase and "due to" is a prepositional phrase.
But as others have indicated above, your explanation isn't perfectly clear, or even incorrect.
Here, the main clause goes: "a number of astronomical phenomena, such as planetary nebulas, may be/are caused by the interaction."
The core subject verb go astronomical phenomena may be/are ____________________.
the word "are" is a form of verb "to be", here functioning as a link verb. Hence, the only words that can come after a link verb are noun and adjectives (including participles).
In sum, C is wrong not because "because of" cannot modify "formation of nebulas" but because the word "are" cannot be followed by anything other than nouns or adjectives.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
WE: Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 18:18
Well here is my explanation : "Due to" can only be used to modify nouns and can interchangeably used with "Caused By".
Eg : His high GMAT score is due to relentless hard work.

Here "His high GMAT score" is a noun entity with a bunch of noun modifiers. and Due to modifies it further or gives a reason. We can use "caused by" in lieu of "Due to" and it must make sense.

Eg: His high GMAT score is caused by relentless hard work.

"Because of" can only modify verbs or actions.

Eg: The State of Texas was flooded because of heavy rains. Because of "modifies the action".

In this question:

It seems likely that ( Clause Marker) a number ( Plural Subject /noun)of astronomical phenomena, such as the formation of planetary nebulas, may be ( Likely is used so may be is redundant) caused by ( Due to used to modify noun entity "A number") the interaction where two stars orbit each other at close range.

POE:

A. may be caused by the interaction where two stars orbit each other --- May be is redundant and "which/where/that/these" cannot be used to modify action
B. may be caused by the interaction between two stars that each orbit the other -- May be is redundant/ each orbit the other is awkward
C. are because of the interaction between two stars that orbit each other -- Because of cannot be used to modify noun ( C trap)
D. are caused by the interaction of two stars where each is orbiting the other -- This actually changes the meaning and where is used to modify interaction
E. are caused by the interaction of two stars orbiting each other - Correct Choice
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 23:54
Amit0507 wrote:
garimavyas wrote:

Option 'C' is wrong because "a number of astronomical phenomena" is a noun and "caused by" or "due to" goes with a Noun. Had is been "The occurrence of astronomical phenomena" then "because of" would have been an acceptable solution. Verbs go with "because of".

yes, i agree with you, regarding c
our delay is because of you. this is logic and correct
the phenomina is because of you. this is not logic.
the occurence of the phenomena is because of you . this is logic

so, c is wrong just because logic probem. from one sentence which combine a noun with because of, we can not combine any similar couple . we need to consider their meaning before we combine them.

i think this is the reason why c wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jun 2016, 23:54

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

It seems likely that a number of astronomical phenomena, such as the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap