It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

jallenmorris profile eval

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks
jallenmorris profile eval [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2009, 13:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ok, here goes....

Program: MBA FT
Area of interest in MBA: GM, Finance, MC, Ent.
GMAT: 720 (Q47, V42)
GPA: 3.05
Undergrad School: Oklahoma Wesleyan University (Top 10 Baccalaureate School in the West according to US News 2007)
Graduate School: Oklahoma City University School of Law. Attended so I could work in Politics as Oklahoma City is the state's capitol and hub of all OK politics.
Work experience: 12 months graphic design/website development; 14 months law firm during law school; 18 months Field Rep for U.S. Congressman; 18 months Legal Auditor for Top 3 insurance company;
Leadership: Senior Class President (Undergrad); Student ambassador for OWU my sophomore year; College Republican Chairman Senior Year; Elected Class Representative first 2 years of law school; Student Ambassador 2nd year of law school. Nationality Caucasian American
Age29
Gender Male
Extra-curriculars/community/leadership:Gov't Affairs committee volunteer for Northwest OKC Chamber of Commerce; Organized statewide candidate forum. I serve on the leadership board of the sunday school class I attend. I have also designed (for free or at cost) numerous websites for non-profit groups. I'm also an avid pilot (120 hours logged), golfer, and carpenter. Member of the Oklahoma Bar Legislative Monitoring Committee and Committee for Work / Life Balance (2 separate committees)

Publications: Published article in the March 2009 issue of the Oklahoma Bar Journal entitled It's Just a Social Security Number, Right? detailing the law on non-federal governmental disclosure of social security numbers and the steps a plaintiff must take to successfully bring a claim for a violation of the right to privacy of the 14th Amendment Due Process Clause.

Target Schools and Rounds

HBS
Yale
Tuck
Ross
Columbia
Chicago
Kellogg (Chicago area schools are high on my wife's list)
Wharton

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

MBA Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 568 [0], given: 0

Re: jallenmorris profile eval [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2009, 16:23
I think you have a strong profile for any of the top schools. My only recommendation re: school choice is to pare it down by 1 or 2 schools. Eight schools will more than likely overwhelm you and more importantly overwhelm your recommenders (yes, the letters are similar in theme across schools, but they will each have to open eight different accounts and submit the letters eight times, not to mention tailoring the letters to each school so you aren't sending form letters).

Adcoms will like the fact that you have varied (and relatively unique) experiences compared to other b-school applicants -- that's an asset that you can really emphasize. Given your schooling, extracurriculars and work experience, one can reasonably infer that you are also an articulate communicator -- which if you can back it up on your essays and interviews (not to mention your recommenders reaffirming your oratory and writing skills), then you should be competitive for all schools, including HBS. Yes, your GPA is low and is a concern, but my hunch is that there's a decent chance adcoms will overlook it given your overall profile.

That's really the underlying thing with top schools -- they really put a higher premium on interpersonal skills (or leadership, or whatever you want to call it -- "soft" skills, social skills, communication/oratory, etc.) because frankly it's easier to impart analytical/quant knowledge than it is to teach someone how to communicate and deal with people. Especially if you're gunning for HBS, because you'll be spending all your 2 years talking in class.

One of the things that is heavily implied but never explicitly mentioned (or if it was, it would be conveniently ignored) is that what will make or break your career is your ability to deal with people, not with numbers. Highly analytical people have a significantly lower ceiling in business than those with strong team/leadership/communication skills. Sometimes it's the b-schools fault for sending mixed messages because of so much of the analytical work they try to dump on you, but at the same time saying it's not *really* as important as your ability to negotiate with an adversary or partner, your ability to manage the Board, your ability to mediate conflicts, and your ability to SELL (which in itself is a social skill). Anyhow, that's a different topic altogether...

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

SVP
SVP

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2009, 19:35
Alex,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, HBS would be awesome and I think it's good to know that it might be worth waiting to see how things shape up for me in 2009 to see if I will apply for fall 2010. I've been thinking of going to a regional school here (Univ. of Oklahoma), but I can't get the idea out of the back of my head that I could get into a top school. Even if I just picked 3, such as Kellogg, HBS and even Yale as more of a "fallback" but I hesitate to call it a fall back. It's hard to see any school in the top 25 like that.

What is the oldest I should be, or longest I should reasonably wait to think about going? My score is from July 2008, so of course I don't want to wait a long time, but I was wondering if 31 or 32 at matriculation would be too long to wait?

AlexMBAApply wrote:
I think you have a strong profile for any of the top schools. My only recommendation re: school choice is to pare it down by 1 or 2 schools. Eight schools will more than likely overwhelm you and more importantly overwhelm your recommenders (yes, the letters are similar in theme across schools, but they will each have to open eight different accounts and submit the letters eight times, not to mention tailoring the letters to each school so you aren't sending form letters).

Adcoms will like the fact that you have varied (and relatively unique) experiences compared to other b-school applicants -- that's an asset that you can really emphasize. Given your schooling, extracurriculars and work experience, one can reasonably infer that you are also an articulate communicator -- which if you can back it up on your essays and interviews (not to mention your recommenders reaffirming your oratory and writing skills), then you should be competitive for all schools, including HBS. Yes, your GPA is low and is a concern, but my hunch is that there's a decent chance adcoms will overlook it given your overall profile.

That's really the underlying thing with top schools -- they really put a higher premium on interpersonal skills (or leadership, or whatever you want to call it -- "soft" skills, social skills, communication/oratory, etc.) because frankly it's easier to impart analytical/quant knowledge than it is to teach someone how to communicate and deal with people. Especially if you're gunning for HBS, because you'll be spending all your 2 years talking in class.

One of the things that is heavily implied but never explicitly mentioned (or if it was, it would be conveniently ignored) is that what will make or break your career is your ability to deal with people, not with numbers. Highly analytical people have a significantly lower ceiling in business than those with strong team/leadership/communication skills. Sometimes it's the b-schools fault for sending mixed messages because of so much of the analytical work they try to dump on you, but at the same time saying it's not *really* as important as your ability to negotiate with an adversary or partner, your ability to manage the Board, your ability to mediate conflicts, and your ability to SELL (which in itself is a social skill). Anyhow, that's a different topic altogether...

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

MBA Admissions Consultant

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2009, 10:05
From a "what are my chances?" standpoint, in your case age is less of an issue because you come from a non-traditional background, although if you're in your mid-30s then it becomes hard no matter who you are.

Nevertheless, if I were in your shoes I would probably try to go back to school sooner than later especially if you're planning on going back full-time.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Re: jallenmorris profile eval   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2009, 10:05

jallenmorris profile eval

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap