Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619025 [68]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [23]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619025 [7]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
John and Amanda stand at opposite ends of a straight road and start [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
John and Amanda stand at opposite ends of a straight road and start running towards each other at the same moment. Their rates are randomly selected in advance so that John runs at a constant rate of 3, 4, 5, or 6 miles per hour and Amanda runs at a constant rate of 4, 5, 6, or 7 miles per hour. What is the probability that John has traveled farther than Amanda by the time they meet?

(A) 3/16
(B) 5/16
(C) 3/8
(D) 1/2
(E) 13/16

John can run at 4 different speeds {3, 4, 5, 6}
and Amenda can run at 4 different speeds {4, 5, 6, 7}

Hence, Total Combination of the speeds maintained by the two runners can be given by = 4 x 4 = 16

Now Let's make FAVORABLE and UNFAVORABLE cases

Case 1: If John Runs are speed of 3 miles per hour

Amenda can run at speeds of {4, 5, 6, 7}

in every case Amenda runs at greater speed than the speed of John hence will cover more distance than John in each case

i.e. Favorable case = 0
i.e. Unfavorable case = 4

Case 2: If John Runs are speed of 4 miles per hour

If Amenda Runs at 4, The distance covered by them both will be same due to same speed of each runner

If Amenda Runs at 5, The distance covered by Amenda will be more than the distance covered by John till they meet due to higher speeed of Amenda than john's speed

If Amenda Runs at 6, The distance covered by Amenda will be more than the distance covered by John till they meet due to higher speeed of Amenda than john's speed

If Amenda Runs at 7, The distance covered by Amenda will be more than the distance covered by John till they meet due to higher speeed of Amenda than john's speed

i.e. Favorable case = 0
i.e. Unfavorable case = 4

Case 3: If John Runs are speed of 5 miles per hour

If Amenda Runs at 4, The distance covered by John will be more than the distance covered by Amenda till they meet due to higher speeed of John than Amenda's speed

If Amenda Runs at 5, The distance covered by them both will be same due to same speed of each runner

If Amenda Runs at 6, The distance covered by Amenda will be more than the distance covered by John till they meet due to higher speeed of Amenda than john's speed

If Amenda Runs at 7, The distance covered by Amenda will be more than the distance covered by John till they meet due to higher speeed of Amenda than john's speed

i.e. Favorable case = 1
i.e. Unfavorable case = 3

Case 4: If John Runs are speed of 6 miles per hour

If Amenda Runs at 4, The distance covered by John will be more than the distance covered by Amenda till they meet due to higher speeed of John than Amenda's speed

If Amenda Runs at 5, The distance covered by John will be more than the distance covered by Amenda till they meet due to higher speeed of John than Amenda's speed

If Amenda Runs at 6, The distance covered by them both will be same due to same speed of each runner

i.e. Favorable case = 2
i.e. Unfavorable case = 2

Total Favorable cases when John covers more distance than distance covered by Amenda = 0+0+1+2 = 3
Total Cases = 16

Probability = Favorable cases / Total cases

i.e. Required Probability = 3/16

Answer: Option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: John and Amanda stand at opposite ends of a straight road and start [#permalink]
I got this question wrong but here is my train of thought.
I would really like some pointers on how to identify when i should add or multiply the combinations and probabilities.
This confuses me a lot.

Anyways

I started by thinking that J > 4 to be able to run faster than A. A < 5.
The probability of J > 4 = 1/2 * probability of A < 5 = 1/4 = 1/8

Then the case of J > 5, A < 6.
The probability of J > 5 = 1/4 * probability of A < 6 = 1/2 = 1/8
Then add the 1/8 and 1/8 = 2/8

Which is wrong because it is not amongst the answer choices.
If someone could help this would be great, because I need to be able to answer this question with a lot of ease.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
Send PM
John and Amanda stand at opposite ends of a straight road and start [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tjerkrintjema wrote:
I would really like some pointers on how to identify when i should add or multiply the combinations and probabilities.
This confuses me a lot.

Anyways

If someone could help this would be great, because I need to be able to answer this question with a lot of ease.

Hi tjerkrintjema,

In the simplest Language

We Multiple when we use the word [b]"AND" between two events e.g If Probability of x to happen is a and probability of y to happen is y then Probability of both events x ANDy to happen simultaneously is axb[/b]

We Add the two probability when we use the word "OR" between two events e.g If Probability of x to happen is a and probability of y to happen is y then Probability of Either events x happens OR event y to happens is a+b

Here, Let's use the same concept

Case I: Probability of the speed of John J > 4 and probability of A < 5. will be (2/4)x(1/4) = 1/8

Case II: Probability of the speed of John J > 5 and probability of A < 6. will be (1/4)x(2/4) = 1/8

But the problem here is that we have taken One case common between Cases I and II J= 6 and A=4 which has the probability (1/4)x(1/4)= 1/16

So the probability will be (1/8)+(1/8)-(1/16) = 3/16

Hence either we have to take such cases out or the best way is to just make cases
e.g.

J = 3 No favorable Case

J= 4 No favorable case as A can't be less than J

J = 5, A = 4

J = 6, A = 4

J = 6, A = 5

Only 3 favorable cases out of total 4 x 4 = 16 cases

Hence Probability = 3/16

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: John and Amanda stand at opposite ends of a straight road and start [#permalink]
GMATinsight wrote:
tjerkrintjema wrote:
This confuses me a lot.

Anyways

Hi tjerkrintjema,

In the simplest Language

We Multiple when we use the word [b]"AND" between two events e.g If Probability of x to happen is a and probability of y to happen is y then Probability of both events x ANDy to happen simultaneously is axb[/b]

We Add the two probability when we use the word "OR" between two events e.g If Probability of x to happen is a and probability of y to happen is y then Probability of Either events x happens OR event y to happens is a+b

Here, Let's use the same concept

Case I: Probability of the speed of John J > 4 and probability of A < 5. will be (2/4)x(1/4) = 1/8

Case II: Probability of the speed of John J > 5 and probability of A < 6. will be (1/4)x(2/4) = 1/8

But the problem here is that we have taken One case common between Cases I and II J= 6 and A=4 which has the probability (1/4)x(1/4)= 1/16

So the probability will be (1/8)+(1/8)-(1/16) = 3/16

Hence either we have to take such cases out or the best way is to just make cases
e.g.

J = 3 No favorable Case

J= 4 No favorable case as A can't be less than J

J = 5, A = 4

J = 6, A = 4

J = 6, A = 5

Only 3 favorable cases out of total 4 x 4 = 16 cases

Hence Probability = 3/16

Wow thanks, this really helps. I'm also kind of glad that i was on the right track with my method as well, in the sense that addition was right, but that i just forgot to subtract the 1/16 like you mentioned. Although I believe the other ways mentioned here are way better, at least it makes me feel less stupid :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE:Psychology and Counseling (Other)
Yep, I also did this:

J: 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
A: 4- 5 - 6 - 7

There are 16 possible combinations of rates between them.

Looking at J, if we runs at 3 or 4 he will be slower or equally fast as A. We want him to be quicker.
If he runs at 5, he has one chance of being faster (A runs at 3).
If he runs at 6, he has two chances of being faster (A runs at 4 or 5).
In total, he has three chances of being faster out of the 16 possible combinations.

So, 3/16 ANS A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [0]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
If John and Amanda run at the same rate, they will meet each other exactly in the middle. John will only run farther than Amanda if John's rate is greater than Amanda's. In math terms, distance = rate × time, and since John and Amanda run for the same time, their relative distances depend solely on their relative rates. We can rephrase the question to “what is the probability that John ran faster than Amanda?” There are four possible rates for John (3, 4, 5, and 6) and four for Amanda (4, 5, 6, and 7). In total, there are (4)(4) = 16 possible rate scenarios.
Of John's four possible rates, only two (5 and 6) are greater than some of Amanda's possible rates (4and 5). We can easily list the 3 rate scenarios that result in a faster speed (greater distance) for John:
John ran 5 mph, and Amanda ran 4 mph.
John ran 6 mph, and Amanda ran 4 mph.
John ran 6 mph, and Amanda ran 5 mph.
Since there are 16 possible combinations of rates, the probability that John ran farther than Amanda
is 3/16.
The correct answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
I looked at when John's speed would be greater than Amanda's: John at 5 and John at 6.

So:
Probability of John running at 6 = 1/4 AND Amanda running at 5 or 4 = 1/2 --> (1/4)(1/2) = 1/8
PLUS
Probability of John running at 5 = 1/4 AND Amanda running at 4 = 1/4 --> (1/4)(1/4) = 1/16
1/8 + 1/16 = 3/16.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Send PM
Only 2 rates of John is faster than Amanda's
i.e. 5 and 6
Probability of J to run at 5=1/4
Probability of J to run at 6=1/4
Total probability of J =1/16
If J runs at 5, then the probability of A being slower than J is 1/4
If J runs at 6, then the probability of A being slower than J is 2/4=1/2
Total probability of A=1/8
probability of J being faster than A = (1/16)+(1/8)=3/16

Option A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
John and Amanda stand at opposite ends of a straight road and start running towards each other at the same moment. Their rates are randomly selected in advance so that John runs at a constant rate of 3, 4, 5, or 6 miles per hour and Amanda runs at a constant rate of 4, 5, 6, or 7 miles per hour. What is the probability that John has traveled farther than Amanda by the time they meet?

(A) 3/16
(B) 5/16
(C) 3/8
(D) 1/2
(E) 13/16

if John runs at 3 mph. possible ways = 0
if john runs at 4 mph, Possible ways = 0
if john runs at 5 mph, Possible ways is 4 mph for amanda = 1
if john runs at 6 mph, Possible ways is 4mph and 5 mph = 2

Adding, we get total ways = 3

Possible ways = 4C1 x 4C1 = 16

probability=3/16

Option A
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 3/16
(B) 5/16
(C) 3/8
(D) 1/2
(E) 13/16

John will travel farther than Amanda if John is traveling faster than Amanda. That is, John’s rate must be greater than Amanda’s rate. Thus, John must travel either 5 or 6 miles per hour in order to have a chance to be faster than Amanda.

If John travels 5 mph (there is a 1/4 chance he would do that), then Amanda has to travel 4 mph (there is a 1/4 chance she would do that). Thus, the probability is 1/4 x 1/4 = 1/16.

If John travels 6 mph (there is a 1/4 chance he would do that), then Amanda has to travel either 4 or 5 mph (there is a 2/4 = 1/2 chance she would do that). Thus, the probability is 1/4 x 1/2 = 1/8.
Therefore, the overall probability that John will travel farther than Amanda is 1/16 + 1/8 = 3/16.

Alternate Solution:

Since there are 4 possibilities for the rates of John and Amanda each, there are 4 x 4 = 16 possible ways to assign rates for them.

Of these 16 possibilities, the only way John travels further than Amanda is if John = 6 mph and Amanda = 5 mph; John = 6 mph and Amanda = 4 mph; or if John = 5 mph and Amanda = 4 mph. Since there are 3 favorable outcomes in a total of 16 outcomes, the probability is 3/16.

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-23-2015
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V28
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
UJs wrote:
Note: this one is like a Data Sufficiency question, you don't have to solve all of it to get the answer. :)
its a 2 min question,key here is -> think your approach (before you jump into solving)

John speed options = 3, 4, 5, or 6 miles per hour.
    Amanda speed options = 4, 5, 6, or 7 miles per hour.

now when can John travel farther than Amanda ?
only in cases where (speed of John) > (Speed of Amanda) , that's possible when John travels at (5,6) and Amanda less than that, lets solve it now :

\(Probability = \frac{Favorable-outcomes}{Total-possible-outcomes}\)

Total-possible-outcomes = John (4 speeds to pick from) * Amanda (4 speeds to pick from) \(= 4 * 4 = 16\)

when John speed 5 , Amanda can be 4 = 1 outcome
    when John speed 6 , Amanda can be 4,5 = 2 outcome
    Favorable-outcomes\(= 1 + 2 = 3\)

\(Probability = \frac{3}{16}\)
Ans : A

Very good explanation
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts