Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
WE:Supply Chain Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 3.36
WE:Investment Banking (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all Admitted Students! [#permalink]
Diego1985 wrote:
I am matriculating too,
Have you done anything else besides paying the fee, submitting to the background check and setting up your mail and other IT material?

I just submitted the deposit last week so I am working on all that other stuff now.

Where are you from, and will you be at the march admitted students event?

I am local in Houston so I can try and help with any questions for the out of towners.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I´m from Monterrey Mexico,
I don´t think I´ll make it to the march event, but I´m hoping to visit in April.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Jones '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Did anyone receive the welcome package mail in their post for R2 acceptance
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone on here planning on going to the admitted students day coming up in a few weeks?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
I just got my acceptance call. Waiting for other details to arrive.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Diego1985 wrote:
I´m from Monterrey Mexico,
I don´t think I´ll make it to the march event, but I´m hoping to visit in April.

Hey Diego1985,

Can you let me know the process of background check? Who all do they contact? I have in the past worked in my family business.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Diego1985,

Can you let me know the process of background check? Who all do they contact? I have in the past worked in my family business.

Thanks![/quote]

Sure, I do not know if they contact all applicants but I imagine they do.
The first send you an e-mail with your account and password. You´ll have to submit some basic information about education, work experience, etc. Pretty basic. They ask you to sign and send a disclosure letter along with some other specific documents (In my case, some academic documents and a copy of a work related license).
I contacted the company that does the background check for some doubts and they were very helpful.
Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Diego1985 wrote:
Hey Diego1985,

Thanks!

Sure, I do not know if they contact all applicants but I imagine they do.
The first send you an e-mail with your account and password. You´ll have to submit some basic information about education, work experience, etc. Pretty basic. They ask you to sign and send a disclosure letter along with some other specific documents (In my case, some academic documents and a copy of a work related license).
I contacted the company that does the background check for some doubts and they were very helpful.
Good luck.[/quote]

Hi Diego,

Sorry for bothering you again with my questions but I am still waiting on getting the mail from HireRight. Do we have an option of not contacting our current employer. I haven't informed my company that I am leaving yet and not planning to do so until I get my visa. Only my supervisor and a teammate know about it since they filled my recos. :roll: Not sure of how the process is like but I suppose they will need contacts at every place I have worked so far, Right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
They do guve you an option so your employer does not get notified. I had the same case, dont worry. Good luck.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Diego1985 wrote:
They do guve you an option so your employer does not get notified. I had the same case, dont worry. Good luck.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks a lot Diego!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello guys!!
The thread has been pretty quiet. I hope all of you have joined the Facebook group. Has anybody started looking for housing options? I can see a lot postings on the off-campus portals in case anyone is interested. Being an international student I have no clue of the surrounding areas for stay. It would be great if people from Houston could comment on living options around Rice. The on-campus graduate apartments are allotted through lottery so its better to start early for searching apartments and room-mates. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.12
WE:Research (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
raisha16 wrote:
Hello guys!!
The thread has been pretty quiet. I hope all of you have joined the Facebook group. Has anybody started looking for housing options? I can see a lot postings on the off-campus portals in case anyone is interested. Being an international student I have no clue of the surrounding areas for stay. It would be great if people from Houston could comment on living options around Rice. The on-campus graduate apartments are allotted through lottery so its better to start early for searching apartments and room-mates. :)

I live in Houston and was accepted to Jones. I currently live in an area known as "Midtown". I really like it. It is one of 3-ish bar and restaurant neighbourhoods in Houston. There are quite a few Rice Student Parking Stickers in my apartment complex (Post Midtown Square). It is a great area and within walking distance to all the bars and restaurants. I can walk to the light rail that connects to Rice (15 minute walk). If I drive to campus, it would probably be 15-20 or so minutes, you can get to campus without having to get on the highway. The traffic is awful in Houston, so this is a plus,trust me. The only issue I see is the area around the light rail stop gets seedy quickly and I worry about having to walk late at night after studying etc. As a male I am pretty on guard as I walk by the stop and I don't let my girlfriend walk alone to the stop-I usually drive her. This should give you an idea I suppose. However, if you are fine driving 10-15 minutes THEN TOTALLY MOVE TO MIDTOWN!! Where the apartments are and where people walk and hang out isn't around the light rail stop. In terms of rent I pay about $1,000 and it is a pretty good size one-bedroom. I lived in a two bedroom and split $1300. In terms of rent that is probably the floor for the area. I plan to move closer to Rice where I can walk to campus. I suspect the rent is probably $50-150 less per month for a similar set up.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Jones Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Jones Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Jones Forum for all fresh things related to the Jones MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts