GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Journalism's purpose is to inform people about matters

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Journalism's purpose is to inform people about matters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 04:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:27) correct 56% (01:12) wrong based on 217 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Journalism's purpose is to inform people about matters relevant to the choices they must make. Yet, clearly, people often buy newspapers or watch television news programs precisely because they contain sensationalistic gossip about people whom they will never meet and whose business is of little relevance to their lives. Obviously, then, the sensationalistic gossip contained in newspapers and television news programs ____________

A. is at least sometimes included for nonjournalistic reasons

B. prevents those news media from achieving their purpose

C. is more relevant to people's lives now than it used to be

D. should not be thought of as a way of keeping an audience entertained

E. is of no value to people who are interested in journalism

LSAT
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Journalism's purpose is to inform people about matters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 05:24
AshutoshB wrote:
Journalism's purpose is to inform people about matters relevant to the choices they must make. Yet, clearly, people often buy newspapers or watch television news programs precisely because they contain sensationalistic gossip about people whom they will never meet and whose business is of little relevance to their lives. Obviously, then, the sensationalistic gossip contained in newspapers and television news programs ____________

LSAT
Imo..a..all others are out of scope

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 06:56
vineethk929 wrote:
AshutoshB wrote:

LSAT
Imo..a..all others are out of scope

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Question Type:
Inference (Fill-In)

Stimulus Breakdown:
Papers are supposed to inform people on important stuff. However, people often buy papers because of celebrity gossip (which isn't important). This sensationalism is…

Answer Anticipation:
The gossip isn't included to hit the papers' purpose. Since the stimulus states that people buy the papers for the gossip, a good way to combine these two statements is to say that the gossip is included to drive sales.

Correct answer:
(A)

Answer choice analysis:
(A) Bam! Right off the bat. This gossip can't fulfill journalism's purpose, so it must be included for some other reason. I picked a specific purpose in my prephrase, and this answer is more generic, but it serves the same purpose as what I was looking for.

(B) Degree. A newspaper can contain both useful information and celebrity gossip. "prevents" is too strong.

(C) Unwarranted comparison. The stimulus doesn't talk about today vs. the past.

(D) If anything, opposite. It seems as if the gossip is there to entertain/titillate while possibly trying to slip some important information to the reader.

(E) Degree. If it gets people to buy the paper and read the informational section, the gossip could serve a purpose. "[N]o purpose" is too strong.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 23:29
Experts pls give your inputs.. i could not make any understanding.. may be i am not yet good at tackling such question.. if that is the case.. what should i do.. i mean any strategies to solve such questions?? or i am overthinking..
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 17:13
GMAT215 wrote:
Experts pls give your inputs.. i could not make any understanding.. may be i am not yet good at tackling such question.. if that is the case.. what should i do.. i mean any strategies to solve such questions?? or i am overthinking..

GMAT215, if the problem you're facing is just that you're having a hard time reading the passages themselves, there's no magic bullet that will solve that issue. You'll just have to become better -- in general -- at reading these tougher passages. This general guide to RC might help, especially some of the links toward the end of the article.

Also, keep in mind that this is an LSAT question, which are generally a bit tougher than the GMAT in terms of the difficulty of the language. You can read more about the LSAT in this article -- but you might want to focus on some of the GMAT materials first.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 08:10
GMATNinja wrote:
GMAT215 wrote:

GMAT215, if the problem you're facing is just that you're having a hard time reading the passages themselves, there's no magic bullet that will solve that issue. You'll just have to become better -- in general -- at reading these tougher passages. This general guide to RC might help, especially some of the links toward the end of the article.

Also, keep in mind that this is an LSAT question, which are generally a bit tougher than the GMAT in terms of the difficulty of the language. You can read more about the LSAT in this article -- but you might want to focus on some of the GMAT materials first.

I hope this helps!

thanks alot Sir.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Journalism's purpose is to inform people about matters &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2018, 08:10

Journalism's purpose is to inform people about matters

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap