Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [3]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Journey so far... (650 Q48 V31- Cancelled)... Appreciate suggestions!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
thinkvision wrote:
Hi All,

Although I believe in the mantra - "only you can change your fate and that too by hardwork", would need few suggestions. I don't wish to make a long post and hence would directly hit the point.

Issues. Would request if someone can help on the below:

2. Any suggestions to improve the verbal score. I know all I have to do is practice RC as much as possible. Yet suggestions, would be highly appreciated!
Appreciate suggestions!

thinkvision , I'll add just a few comments that might not have been covered.

1. Take breaks. Three to four hours every weekday is a lot of studying.
Studies show that breaks increase productivity and accuracy.
This article, here, is an easy read with good guidelines.

2. Make one break specifically about relaxation.
I would try "Progressive Muscle Relaxation," described HERE.

If you already do yoga or intense exercise followed by stretching (!) at least 3 times a week (and preferably 5), you might not need this tip.

3. Read. Even if for 15-20 minutes a day. (Increase that time to 45 minutes on the weekends.)
If you are so bored or frustrated that you are not absorbed in what you read, then change what you read. I am a big fan of novels.
I'm sure you have seen bb 's very helpful thread on novels and journals to read, here.
Reading exposes you to prose in which sentence style varies, typically in every paragraph.
Good writers vary the structure and length of sentences. You will see this variation on the GMAT in all of Verbal.
We learn our native language by mimicking patterns that we notice unconsciously.
Varied sentences will expose you to many patterns in English that a grammarian simply cannot teach.

4. A technique to try?
In all three sections of Verbal, if you cannot decide whether to keep or eliminate an answer within 3-5 seconds, mark "tentative keep" and read the next option.
Do the same thing with each option.
This technique is hard to implement (at first you may mark 3 of 5 as tentative keep), but it saves a lot of time and thwarts the urge to find the perfect answer.
The other options will reveal issues that you may not have considered.
One or two answers will be absurd. Eliminating just a couple of answers is good for confidence, and doing so forces you to start.
Too many people in Verbal, and especially in SC, try to eliminate answers in isolation.

One of my favorite Winston Churchill quotes is, "If you are going through hell, keep going."
The statement is very funny in English. GMAT hell is finite. There is a way out. There is an end.
But you will not get to the end by holding still in hell. Move even a little bit.
Best of luck and warm wishes. :) You can do this. :thumbup:
GMAT Club Bot
Journey so far... (650 Q48 V31- Cancelled)... Appreciate suggestions!! [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts