GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 01:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 39
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 23:05
Hi,
This is embarrassing but the best way to get better is to learn and persevere. I am targeting to sit my GMAT at the end of July or early August 2017 for first round MBA applications in September.

Just sat the MGMAT practice test 1 as a diagnostic and scored an appalling 430 (Q25/V26); did not do AWA.
Overall - I had little to no prior practice. I'm more of an analytical personality - really only feel comfortable/confident when I've at least dabbled in the subject matter of what I'm tested against.
Quant - felt hard from the start and knew I bombed it before finishing.
Verbal - got to Q35 and ran out of time

Study plan was 1-2 hours per day + Focus Saturday sessions (6+ hours) commencing today.

Resources I intended on utilsing were:
- MGMAT books (potentially the online course also)
- Original Guide 2017
- Economist GMAT (if beneficial) or perhaps just the trial

Do you think I can improve my test scores dramatically over the next 154 days with full-time work?


Please help..
Attachments

File comment: Test Results SC
GMAT MGMAT Practice.PNG
GMAT MGMAT Practice.PNG [ 34.76 KiB | Viewed 1532 times ]

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3622
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 23:17
dcummins wrote:
Hi,
This is embarrassing but the best way to get better is to learn and persevere. I am targeting to sit my GMAT at the end of July or early August 2017 for first round MBA applications in September.

Just sat the MGMAT practice test 1 as a diagnostic and scored an appalling 430 (Q25/V26); did not do AWA.
Overall - I had little to no prior practice. I'm more of an analytical personality - really only feel comfortable/confident when I've at least dabbled in the subject matter of what I'm tested against.
Quant - felt hard from the start and knew I bombed it before finishing.
Verbal - got to Q35 and ran out of time

Study plan was 1-2 hours per day + Focus Saturday sessions (6+ hours) commencing today.

Resources I intended on utilsing were:
- MGMAT books (potentially the online course also)
- Original Guide 2017
- Economist GMAT (if beneficial) or perhaps just the trial

Do you think I can improve my test scores dramatically over the next 154 days with full-time work?


Please help..


Dear dcummins,

Welcome to GMATCLUB. :)

Here are a couple of things I want to suggest.

1. Your Verbal Score is a good one to start. You need to work religiously on Sentence correction, RC and CRs and try to make a habit of reading good quality books atleast 3-4 times a week.
2. Your Quant Score is really low. So, I would prefer working on more of quant practice(Almost 1-2 hours everyday).
3. MGMAT is the best source to improve your score, so try to follow every other approach suggested. You will see a gradual improvement in your performance.
4. Make a note of every mistake you make and give it a revision on weekly basis.
5. Follow some study plans. This will help you stick towards your goal.
6. Have some target score in mind and work on reaching that score in your Mocks.
7. Finally, I would suggest you should take some time out of work and spend on GMAT.

Do let us know in case you need any other help.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 39
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 23:38
Thank you, abhimahna.

Do you think I have enough time to prepare and score ~700+ if I am intending on sitting the actual exam in late Jul/early Aug (~5months)?

I would provision 2 full-weeks off work leading up to the exam also.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3622
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 23:48
dcummins wrote:
Thank you, abhimahna.

Do you think I have enough time to prepare and score ~700+ if I am intending on sitting the actual exam in late Jul/early Aug (~5months)?

I would provision 2 full-weeks off work leading up to the exam also.


Yes, the ideal time for GMAT Preparation is 3-4 months. So, if you do regular study, you will be able to complete everything on time.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 39
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 01:27
abhimahna wrote:
dcummins wrote:
Thank you, abhimahna.

Do you think I have enough time to prepare and score ~700+ if I am intending on sitting the actual exam in late Jul/early Aug (~5months)?

I would provision 2 full-weeks off work leading up to the exam also.


Yes, the ideal time for GMAT Preparation is 3-4 months. So, if you do regular study, you will be able to complete everything on time.


Thank you!

Have there been any past cases on here of people scoring low (400s) then hitting 700+?

Links would be appreciated for notable cases!
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3622
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 01:42
1
dcummins wrote:
Thank you!

Have there been any past cases on here of people scoring low (400s) then hitting 700+?

Links would be appreciated for notable cases!


Yes, it is possible. Actually, you must believe that nothing is impossible in this world. :)

Here are a couple of links you may go through:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-i-went-f ... 33393.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/600-q50-v21- ... 33845.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-from ... 33824.html

If you want to read more, you can always go through this forum and find so many such debriefs where people have actually improved alot.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/share-gmat-experience-8/

I hope this helps. Good Luck :)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 12676
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 11:52
1
Hi dcummins,

To start, a 430 isn't a terrible diagnostic score - as it's just a measure of your current Test Taking skills (and you've already admitted that you don't really know much about the GMAT yet). Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. There are some things to consider about your study plan and timeline though:

First, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. You've given yourself plenty of time to study - which is good - but you still have to be efficient with your studies, commit to a consistent routine and use the proper study materials (with an emphasis on learning and practicing the proper Tactics).

Second, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Since your current Study Plan is so book heavy, you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. Considering your score goal, you'll need to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections, so investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) would likely be a good idea.

Third, Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. That means that every time you take a CAT, you really MUST take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), take it away from your home, at the same time of day that you plan to take the Official GMAT, etc. In addition, you MUST make sure to answer ALL of the questions (any questions that you don't answer are 'penalized' - and that penalty is worse than if you had simply answered the questions incorrectly).

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 39
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 14:06
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi dcummins,

To start, a 430 isn't a terrible diagnostic score - as it's just a measure of your current Test Taking skills (and you've already admitted that you don't really know much about the GMAT yet). Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. There are some things to consider about your study plan and timeline though:

First, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. You've given yourself plenty of time to study - which is good - but you still have to be efficient with your studies, commit to a consistent routine and use the proper study materials (with an emphasis on learning and practicing the proper Tactics).

Second, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Since your current Study Plan is so book heavy, you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. Considering your score goal, you'll need to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections, so investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) would likely be a good idea.

Third, Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. That means that every time you take a CAT, you really MUST take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), take it away from your home, at the same time of day that you plan to take the Official GMAT, etc. In addition, you MUST make sure to answer ALL of the questions (any questions that you don't answer are 'penalized' - and that penalty is worse than if you had simply answered the questions incorrectly).

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Much appreciated Rich, there are clear gaps in my quant knowledge and test taking skills in particular.

I am targeting the following in terms of priority:
1. London Business School
2. London School of Economics
3. Stanford (to a lesser extent)
4. UCLA Anderson

I don't really want to look past LBS as I have 2 colleagues there studying the MBA right now.

To give you some background:

I'm 25 and a Manager in Big 4 Transactions and fully-qualified Chartered Accountant.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 12676
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 11:42
Hi dcummins,

You've named some highly competitive Schools, so beyond having a competitive GMAT Score, you'll need a strong OVERALL profile AND you'll have to properly 'market yourself' to each individual School. Thus, this will be a big series of small tasks and you'll need to be efficient to get everything done for the Round 1 deadlines (you won't have to 'rush' though, as long as you stick to a reasonable routine and plan).

Given your goals, I want to reiterate that you would likely find it really beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 39
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 18:55
Yea so it seems!

Do you have any recommended study plans, preferably broken down week-week or would anyone suggest following a recommended approach e.g. MGMAT
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 12676
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 23:08
1
Hi dcummins,

The difficulty in working with a day-by-day or week-by-week Study Plan is that life often "gets in the way" of your studies. Your ability to schedule a consistent study routine into your life will depend a great deal on all the things that are in your life already, your overall timeline and your overall goals. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it helps to start off thinking in those terms. You might need more or less time than that, but you will want to be efficient with your studies regardless. To reiterate one of the points from my prior post - I think that you would benefit a great deal from investing in a GMAT Course of some type. The EMPOWERgmat Course includes a variety of Study Plans, including a 3-month Study Plan that I think would be perfect for you, but you should absolutely investigate all of your available options.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 18:05
1
I was in a similar situation as you are in now; actually in a worse situation. My first diagnostic CAT exam rendered a 360! APPALLING! Note, this was from babson-dot-edu's mini GMAT exam (25 quant and 25 verbal questions). I was so disheartened but I decided to venture forward.

I realized my foundations were really weak. I purchased MGMAT's Foundation of Verbal and Foundation of Math, completed the materials in a few weeks and took mba-dot-com's 1 of 2 GMAT Practice exams (considered to be the most accurate to the real thing). I scored a 560!. Again, that's simply studying the TWO foundation books. I still have the 9 strategy guides and OG2017 to complete. I'm hoping for another increase of ~100 pts.

Long post short, keep your head up and do not get discouraged and BRUSH UP ON THOSE FOUNDATIONS.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 39
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 21:06
Equinocs wrote:
I was in a similar situation as you are in now; actually in a worse situation. My first diagnostic CAT exam rendered a 360! APPALLING! Note, this was from babson-dot-edu's mini GMAT exam (25 quant and 25 verbal questions). I was so disheartened but I decided to venture forward.

I realized my foundations were really weak. I purchased MGMAT's Foundation of Verbal and Foundation of Math, completed the materials in a few weeks and took mba-dot-com's 1 of 2 GMAT Practice exams (considered to be the most accurate to the real thing). I scored a 560!. Again, that's simply studying the TWO foundation books. I still have the 9 strategy guides and OG2017 to complete. I'm hoping for another increase of ~100 pts.

Long post short, keep your head up and do not get discouraged and BRUSH UP ON THOSE FOUNDATIONS.



Thanks man.

I've bought those books and will progress through them incrementally soon.

I'm targeting 25% completion of both Quant and Verbal on Economist GMAT prior to starting up on the Manhattan guide.

However, I am reading the GMAT roadmap and took a trial class this morning (4-7pm MGMAT with Joe) to supplement Economist GMAT studies.

I'm Sydney based so if anyone is keen to meetup to go through some stuff let me know.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low &nbs [#permalink] 03 Mar 2017, 21:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Just sat MGMAT Practice test 1 as Diagnostic...scored really low

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.