GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 03:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 18:44
gmatt1476 wrote:
Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because street parking is scarce. The city plans to address this by adding parking meters with time limits that ensure that parking spaces are generally available. But this plan will surely backfire—shoppers dislike paying at parking meters, so most will probably drive to other neighborhoods to shop at malls with free parking.

Which of the following, if true, would be the most logically effective rebuttal a proponent of the city's plan could make to Kayla's objection?

A. Most shoppers dislike hunting for scarce street parking spaces much more than they dislike paying for metered parking spaces.
B. The city could post signs with street parking time limits to ensure that parking spaces become available without forcing shoppers to pay at meters.
C. Currently, most shoppers in the neighborhood drive only occasionally to shop at malls in other neighborhoods.
D. The neighborhood already contains a parking lot where shoppers must pay to park.
E. The nearby malls with free parking have no parking time limits to help ensure that parking spaces in their lots become available.

CR02741.01

MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasKarishma DmitryFarber GMATNinja
AjiteshArun

I have doubt w.r.t option A .

CONCLUSION of the Argument (as per kayla) : this plan will surely backfire.

Basis for the conclusion(Kayla's opinion): shoppers dislike paying at parking meters, so most will probably drive to other neighborhoods .

Kayla's has clearly stated & not assumed that Most shoppers dislike paying and thus will move to neighborhood.However option A says Most shoppers dislike hunting for space more than paying for space..- as per my understanding Option A is directly contradicting kayla's BELIEF BY DISCUSSING ABOUT SAME GROUP OF PEOPLE i.e MOST SHOPPERS.

Secondy,Moreover, option A says People dislike hunting for space for than paying for...How can this option be correct when it is already given in the argument that people will move to malls to shop.So if they are going to mall where there is ample space, then why they have to hunt for space

Please share your understanding- is it correct to negate belief directly, on the basis of which conclusion is drawn.

Thanks
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 20:12
gmatassassin88 wrote:
Kayla's has clearly stated & not assumed that Most shoppers dislike paying and thus will move to neighborhood.However option A says Most shoppers dislike hunting for space more than paying for space..- as per my understanding Option A is directly contradicting kayla's BELIEF BY DISCUSSING ABOUT SAME GROUP OF PEOPLE i.e MOST SHOPPERS.
Hi gmatassassin88,

I don't think we should see option A as contradicting that statement. It's a little like this:
1. People dislike X.
2. People dislike Y much more than they dislike X.

Here, (2) does not mean that people suddenly like X. It just means that there is something (Y) that they dislike even more than they dislike X.
B
CAT Tests
Re: Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 20:24
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
Hi gmatassassin88,

I don't think we should see option A as contradicting that statement. It's a little like this:
1. People dislike X.

Here, (2) does not mean that people suddenly like X. It just means that there is something (Y) that they dislike even more than they dislike X.

AjiteshArun

My second Query evolves to your explanation to the first query: When there is option available to move to mall,then why most shoppers would even prefer Paying more or search for space.Moving mall is better than paying or searching at the parking street

Posted from my mobile device
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 20:27
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
Hi gmatassassin88,

1. People dislike X.

AjiteshArun

My second Query evolves to your explanation to the first query: When there is option available to move to mall,then why most shoppers would even prefer Paying more than searching for space.Moving mall is better than paying or searching at the parking street.

Thanks

V
Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 21:38
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun

My second Query evolves to your explanation to the first query: When there is option available to move to mall,then why most shoppers would even prefer Paying more than searching for space.Moving mall is better than paying or searching at the parking street.

Thanks
Hi gmatassassin88,

I hesitated to respond to your second question because I wasn't sure whether you were looking at the word mall the right way.

gmatassassin88 wrote:
Secondy,Moreover, option A says People dislike hunting for space for than paying for...How can this option be correct when it is already given in the argument that people will move to malls to shop.So if they are going to mall where there is ample space, then why they have to hunt for space
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems that you're looking at this as a move from one neighborhood to malls in general. The situation is not really that people will move to malls. We should look at it as "they will move to other malls" (or from one neighborhood to other neighborhoods). More specifically, they will go to malls that don't have parking meters.

One way to see this is to look at how the question describes the "move":
... so most will probably drive to other neighborhoods to shop at malls with free parking.

The question says that people will move from this neighborhood to other neighborhoods. Also, keep in mind that there is no comma between malls and with free parking. The with free parking is used to specify the type of malls Kayla is talking about.

With that (small) issue out of the way, it's easier to see why A is correct.
1. Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because street parking is scarce.
2. (1) will be addressed by adding parking meters with time limits that ensure that parking spaces are generally available.
3. But shoppers dislike paying at parking meters, so most will probably drive to other neighborhoods to shop at malls with free parking.
4. Therefore, the plan will backfire. ← This is Kayla's conclusion.

Kayla thinks people will "shift" neighborhoods because they don't like paying at parking meters. But we know that many people are reluctant to shop in this neighborhood because street parking is scarce. Option A tells us that the "parking space problem" is much bigger than the "paying at parking meters" problem. The city is fixing that (much bigger) problem. That's a reasonably good reason to expect people to continue shopping in this particular neighborhood.

In other words: "There is a problem X. Fixing X creates another problem Y. But Y is a much smaller problem than X. So fixing A is the right step to take".

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. We're not interested in why the people who shop in this neighborhood do so. Maybe because it's closer, maybe because it has shops they like... we don't really need to worry about this. They haven't shifted from this neighborhood to malls in other neighborhoods till now, and that is enough for us.
2. There is no information about whether the other malls have adequate parking space or not. All we know is that there is (currently) no charge for parking in those neighborhoods.
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 22:36
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun

Thanks
Hi gmatassassin88,

I hesitated to respond to your second question because I wasn't sure whether you were looking at the word mall the right way.

gmatassassin88 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems that you're looking at this as a move from one neighborhood to malls in general. The situation is not really that people will move to malls. We should look at it as "they will move to other malls" (or from one neighborhood to other neighborhoods). More specifically, they will go to malls that don't have parking meters.

One way to see this is to look at how the question describes the "move":
... so most will probably drive to other neighborhoods to shop at malls with free parking.

The question says that people will move from this neighborhood to other neighborhoods. Also, keep in mind that there is no comma between malls and with free parking. The with free parking is used to specify the type of malls Kayla is talking about.

With that (small) issue out of the way, it's easier to see why A is correct.
1. Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because street parking is scarce.
2. (1) will be addressed by adding parking meters with time limits that ensure that parking spaces are generally available.
3. But shoppers dislike paying at parking meters, so most will probably drive to other neighborhoods to shop at malls with free parking.
4. Therefore, the plan will backfire. ← This is Kayla's conclusion.

Kayla thinks people will "shift" neighborhoods because they don't like paying at parking meters. But we know that many people are reluctant to shop in this neighborhood because street parking is scarce. Option A tells us that the "parking space problem" is much bigger than the "paying at parking meters" problem. The city is fixing that (much bigger) problem. That's a reasonably good reason to expect people to continue shopping in this particular neighborhood.

In other words: "There is a problem X. Fixing X creates another problem Y. But Y is a much smaller problem than X. So fixing A is the right step to take".

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. We're not interested in why the people who shop in this neighborhood do so. Maybe because it's closer, maybe because it has shops they like... we don't really need to worry about this. They haven't shifted from this neighborhood to malls in other neighborhoods till now, and that is enough for us.
2. There is no information about whether the other malls have adequate parking space or not. All we know is that there is (currently) no charge for parking in those neighborhoods.

AjiteshArun

Thanks for clearing the gap I had in this question.Now it is crystal clear.

V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 23:01
gmatt1476 wrote:
Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because street parking is scarce. The city plans to address this by adding parking meters with time limits that ensure that parking spaces are generally available. But this plan will surely backfire—shoppers dislike paying at parking meters, so most will probably drive to other neighborhoods to shop at malls with free parking.

Which of the following, if true, would be the most logically effective rebuttal a proponent of the city's plan could make to Kayla's objection?

A. Most shoppers dislike hunting for scarce street parking spaces much more than they dislike paying for metered parking spaces.
B. The city could post signs with street parking time limits to ensure that parking spaces become available without forcing shoppers to pay at meters.
C. Currently, most shoppers in the neighborhood drive only occasionally to shop at malls in other neighborhoods.
D. The neighborhood already contains a parking lot where shoppers must pay to park.
E. The nearby malls with free parking have no parking time limits to help ensure that parking spaces in their lots become available.

CR02741.01

Dear MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasKarishma

I would like to thank you for your great explanation.

I want to ask about choice E by another way. How does a student could fall in trap for choice E? How mistakenly could someone consider it as right answer? I tired to do so but could not.

I hope you can help me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2020, 06:51
[img][url][/url][/img]

Quote:

If Kayla neighborhood then gives reasons to leave so it would strengthen Kayla’s conclusion
If others neighborhood then gives reasons for guests not to move out of kayla’s neighborhood . this would weaken the conclusion.

Question:
1. in option D, neighborhood refers to Kayla's neighborhood, right?
2. if in option D, the option was [ The other neighborhood already contains a parking lot where shoppers must pay to park] then this could be our answer?
or it would be rejected like B because it doesn't defend the plan ( cause) directly but prevents the effect. In this particular question we are looking for option then can defend the plan.

Is my understanding right above?

3. If in the question it is simple weaken question, ( without explicit defending city plan but weakening the argument( Kayla conclusion )) , then B would strongly weaken the argument followed by D followed by A, right?
please suggest.

AjiteshArun
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 56.23 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2020, 22:55
Mo2men wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

CR02741.01

Dear MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasKarishma

I would like to thank you for your great explanation.

I want to ask about choice E by another way. How does a student could fall in trap for choice E? How mistakenly could someone consider it as right answer? I tired to do so but could not.

I hope you can help me

Option (E) is attacking "so most will probably drive to other neighborhoods to shop at malls with free parking."
by saying that they have no parking time limit so people will not be in a hurry to leave. They are trying to imply that parking may not be available in nearby malls so plan may not backfire. But all it actually says is that there are no parking time limits in nearby malls. Perhaps time limits are not required there because there is plenty of parking for everyone. Option (E) does not lead us to believe that parking will be troublesome at other places too. In any case, if it did lead us to believe that, since people don't like to pay for parking, they could still prefer to hunt for a spot in other malls. So (E) doesn't weaken the argument.

In any case, when you are clear that (E) is not the answer and it is not, why to invite trouble and force yourself to think why someone else could think it could be the answer? If your mind is clear, great!

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 04:30
itsSKR wrote:
If Kayla neighborhood then gives reasons to leave so it would strengthen Kayla’s conclusion
If others neighborhood then gives reasons for guests not to move out of kayla’s neighborhood . this would weaken the conclusion.

Question:
1. in option D, neighborhood refers to Kayla's neighborhood, right?
2. if in option D, the option was [ The other neighborhood already contains a parking lot where shoppers must pay to park] then this could be our answer?
or it would be rejected like B because it doesn't defend the plan ( cause) directly but prevents the effect. In this particular question we are looking for option then can defend the plan.

Is my understanding right above?

3. If in the question it is simple weaken question, ( without explicit defending city plan but weakening the argument( Kayla conclusion )) , then B would strongly weaken the argument followed by D followed by A, right?
please suggest.

AjiteshArun
Hi itsSKR,

You're right: "The neighborhood" refers to Kayla's neighborhood, but the presence of a ("one") parking lot in the neighborhood doesn't really make much of a difference. That parking lot could be anywhere. If we increased that number ("all") or said that no other neighborhood has malls with free parking, then we'd get stronger options, but I don't think the GMAT would put us in such a position.
Re: Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2020, 04:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Kayla: Many people are reluctant to shop in our neighborhood because

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics