It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 09:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg, Booth, Ross, PT, retake 650 GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Kellogg, Booth, Ross, PT, retake 650 GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 07:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Good morning!

I took the GMAT this past weekend and scored a 650. I'm targeting Kellogg, Booth, and Ross part-time programs. Should I retake? Obviously I'd like to not have to, but I need to decide quickly whether or not to study more or not and give it another shot. Are there merit based scholarships available for part-time programs that a higher score would give me a better shot of getting?

I have 3 years work experience (would have 4-4.5 by the time I apply), 3.6 undergrad GPA in Finance, 3.8 post undergrad work (26 hrs of Acctg classes), working towards CPA (will finish before applying). I'm also of a Hispanic background.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg, Booth, Ross, PT, retake 650 GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2015, 14:14
I would reach out to each school's admissions department and get the feedback straight from them. They'll let you know if you're a competitive candidate or not, trust me. I don't know how these schools handle merit scholarships though...

For Ross, your GPA is above average, GMAT fits very nicely in their middle 80% range and it's only 10 points below the average. I seriously doubt your score will be a problem.

For Kellogg, your GMAT is about 45 points below the average 695. but here's the thing, if it fits within their middle 80% range of who they accept it should be fine...I don't see that info posted anywhere on their site so the typical advice I've read when only the average is shown is that if your GMAT score is 30-40+ points below the average you may want to retake or have other stats that are above average to balance it out. For Kellogg I would email admissions, give them the same stats/background you posted here and ask if they suggest retaking.

For Booth, your GMAT fits right in the middle 80% range as well as your GPA. Like Ross, I think you should be fine here.

One other piece of advice I can give you is to visit the schools (if you haven't already) and talk to alumni so you can prioritize which school you want the most. If Chicago or Ross are your number 1, and 2, and Kellogg is your 3rd I wouldn't bother retaking. If Kellogg is your total dream school and they come back and suggest retaking, then you know what to do. Make sense?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 06:25
njnmusk wrote:
I would reach out to each school's admissions department and get the feedback straight from them. They'll let you know if you're a competitive candidate or not, trust me. I don't know how these schools handle merit scholarships though...

For Ross, your GPA is above average, GMAT fits very nicely in their middle 80% range and it's only 10 points below the average. I seriously doubt your score will be a problem.

For Kellogg, your GMAT is about 45 points below the average 695. but here's the thing, if it fits within their middle 80% range of who they accept it should be fine...I don't see that info posted anywhere on their site so the typical advice I've read when only the average is shown is that if your GMAT score is 30-40+ points below the average you may want to retake or have other stats that are above average to balance it out. For Kellogg I would email admissions, give them the same stats/background you posted here and ask if they suggest retaking.

For Booth, your GMAT fits right in the middle 80% range as well as your GPA. Like Ross, I think you should be fine here.

One other piece of advice I can give you is to visit the schools (if you haven't already) and talk to alumni so you can prioritize which school you want the most. If Chicago or Ross are your number 1, and 2, and Kellogg is your 3rd I wouldn't bother retaking. If Kellogg is your total dream school and they come back and suggest retaking, then you know what to do. Make sense?

Thanks for the reply and advice! Yes I think for Ross my score is fine.

I did actually send notes to both Kellogg and Booth. Kellogg wouldn't give me a straight answer, and Booth told me it was good enough.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 14:33
Congratulations on making it this far! I think you are a pretty good fit for Michigan Ross. Booth a bit tougher. Kellogg sounds like it might be a reach. Should you retake? I don't think so, especially given the rest of your background and the fact that you are coming from an underrepresented demographic at business school. Now is the time to buckle down and focus on your essays, make sure they aren't what keep you out given your score is middle of the pack. Good luck!

Mike
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg, Booth, Ross, PT, retake 650 GMAT?   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2016, 14:33