Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Kellogg or Fuqua

60% [9]
40% [6]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Re: Kellogg or Fuqua - Consulting, career switch [#permalink]
Zomba wrote:
First of all, I've read through another thread on this topic that was focused on marketing.

I'm an American NESCAC grad with Econ/PSCI background and am fluent in Chinese. I've spent five years in China in accounting/controls for a major express company and operations management for a container logistics company. I'm planning on a career switch to consulting, but this could certainly change. I would like to get back to Asia at some point (HK would be perfect), but this isn't my only objective.

I was admitted to Fuqua 2nd round (paid deposit) and was ultimately admitted to Kellogg (1st rd. waitlist) just last week. As I have previously posted in the Fuqua forum, I was really impressed with the admitted students from China and also feel that the program is a good fit (my time at BDW seems to confirm my analysis). Because of the late admit, I was unable to attend DAK and have only visited Kellogg when classes were not in session.

Kellogg seems to have a similar culture, and is essentially equally good or better in most of the rankings that I have looked at. Obviously the 55 McKinsey hires reflects well on job prospects post-grad, though Fuqua has clearly placed many grads at the top firms over the last couple of years (and places more in the South/TX, which works well with my wife's work). I like the smaller size of Fuqua, am impressed by the facilities, and Durham is a good place to take my wife and infant son. Kellogg's facilities are a step down, but they seem to be absolutely top-notch when it comes to strategy and greater Chicago is an easy transition for me (with the sole exception of winter, which my wife hates). Unfortunately, I have not yet made the connections with Kellogg students and admits, so I can't directly compare experiences.

I'd appreciate any advice/things to consider from our forum members. I'm ecstatic to have the choice between these programs, but just want to ensure that I make an informed decision (I realize that there isn't a wrong decision at this point).

doesnt seem like the reasons you favor duke are strong enough to say no to kellogg. great school. arguably top 5. congrats on both acceptances.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I am currently waitlisted at same schools, and if I get into both, I will pick Kellogg, without a doubt. I also visited Duke and really liked the place and the student body, but feel that Kellogg has a much more stronger name brand than Duke - Kellogg is a top5 school, and Duke barely is mentioned among top10. I have also heard that after HBS, Kellogg sends the most number of students to McK/Bain/BCG and if you can present yourself well in social settings, you will get an interview invite. At Duke, you will have to compete with other students for the interview slots, since there is more competition and fewer seats. Also, I have heard that once you leave Consulting, Kellogg alumni network really helps you find good industry positions.

I currently reside in Dallas, and have met few folks at McK/BCG/Bain, so its very doable to get to that office from Kellogg. I think most of Duke's recruiting is for Atlanta offices, so you will have a harder time getting into different offices.

Obviously, if you pick Duke, my chances at Kellogg with increase. lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.45
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
rocket1741 wrote:
Obviously, if you pick Duke, my chances at Kellogg with increase. lol

:good
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Agree with those who say Fuqua. It sounds like the right school for you for a number of reasons--location, size, family considerations, career opportunities, etc.

In my high school guidance counselor's office, there was a big poster that read, "The best school may not be the best school for you." Cliche? Yes, but totally applicable in your case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I'm gonna spend some time talking with some current/former students that know me and will not rush to make the final decision.

Update: I've chosen Kellogg. After talking with a few current students, I feel that the program is a good fit. I hate to back out of a commitment, but Kellogg is pretty much as good or better than Duke in each of my areas of interest, and they have a better reputation and alumni network overall.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts