Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 04 Jun 2020, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kellogg ($$) Vs Ross ($$$$) Vs Sloan ($) vs Duke ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Ross ($$$$) Vs Sloan ($) Vs Kellogg ($$) Vs Duke ($$$$)

• 37% [15]
  • 27% [11]
  • 27% [11]
  • 7% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Kellogg ($$) Vs Ross ($$$$) Vs Sloan ($) vs Duke ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 14:33
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some evaluation on my current situation. I was lucky enough to get some good scholarship offers from some schools inside the top 10 and right around the top 10.

For some brief background, I'm looking to go into the CPG industry post MBA. Given that industry focus, and the following scholarship breakdown, I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on the value of a full scholarship against the value of a stronger brand?

Current Thoughts on Schools

Kellogg - Original First choice due to brand and CPG connection. I like the people and program. Evanston/Chicago seems like a good place to be based out of for 2 years. Scholarship will cover between 70-80% of tuition.

Ross - Love the focus on experiential learning. Really enjoyed my visit to campus and the people. Full Scholarship.

Sloan - Strong brand, but in my mind it's not really CPG/marketing focused. Additionally, I have the perception that the people at Sloan are more one dimensional (in terms of social versus scholastic) rather than capturing both. That's not a fair generalization but is just the current image I have. Scholarship will cover between 50-60% of tuition

Duke - Have the least exposure to this school so far. I've liked the talks I've had with students but haven't visited Durham or Duke before. Strong marketing school, which I like, but ranked a little lower in my mind than the others. Full Scholarship.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Kellogg ($$) Vs Ross ($$$$) Vs Sloan ($) vs Duke ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 14:59
I would say Kellogg. It’s the highest ranked that seems like a good fit. Plus it’s still a significant scholarship.

Good luck and congrats!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 15:21
Congrats on the admits. I feel Kellogg would fit best with your goals though Ross and Fuqua could be close. You would find a lot of CPG focus and consulting or tech if you wanted. I feel your on campus recruiting opportunities would be best at Kellogg.

Sloan Is out I feel due to significant scholarships at Kellogg and Ross and since you are not an international applicant, I feel you won’t need the MIT’s name.

You could hold off Accepting your Kellogg offer for a bit and let it slip in a nice way to the adcom/student ambassador that you got a Ross full scholarship. I don’t know if that would move the needle but could be a good schmoozing exercise. I would keep the expectations low. :thumbup:

G

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 16:01
Omg! This is a tough one... let’s use the elimination process.
Rankings mean nothing to me, it’s smoke and mirrors
MIT goes away because it’s 2019 employment report was a disaster, it’s a tech and consulting school only now

Now Kellogg vs Ross vs Duke
I would strike out Kellogg next, for the last 5 years besides their ranking being up, their flagship consulting recruiting is also low and generally they’re underperforming. they’re definitely better than Booth, Ross and Duke for tech recruiting. They’re not too bad at CPG hiring

Then we’re left with Duke and Ross - they are equally good, I feel the difference between them is only for finance recruiting. It’s not worth spending the extra $ for the insignificant benefit (perceived by others)
But for CPG it looks like many more employers go to Duke than Kellogg and Ross

I feel most big companies recruiting at Kellogg also recruit at Michigan also recruit at Duke... you’ll get those opportunities at any of these three schools.
Now are you a basketball fan or are you a football fan?

Blue devils or Wolverines or Wildcats (if you do decide Kellogg)

Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 23:38
I go to Ross and I am a huge fan. I’d say pick Kellogg :)

I’m not sure where JohnJohnJ gets this data from, but Kellogg has done a great job with consulting in the last five years and tech is really good too.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see you at Ross but if I were in your shoes, I’d pick Kellogg.

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 23:42
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 00:02
Wow! You took it personally... Ross is a good school too

Alum
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 00:03
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 00:06
Duly noted

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Ross '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.52
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2019, 09:28
A full scholarship and you want to go into CPG? Ross should really be at the top of your list. Ross has a ridiculous number of CPG companies coming to campus every year - honestly more than the number of interested students can support. Getting a job with a top flight CPG company is easy given how many come to campus - think P&G, Pepsi (all 3 offices), Tyson, Clorox, Nestle, SCJ, Kraft (don't go there), L'Oreal, J&J Consumer, and so many more. Ross has has a deep alumni network within CPG, and since CPG companies are desperate for talent these days, Ross will absolutly open up as many doors as any other school - especially given our incredibly talented and engaged alumni network (MBA and undergrad). Plus, I'm biased for sure, but I had an incredible experience at Ross and have friends at Kellogg who couldn't say the same.

I work for one of the above companies and would be happy to talk if you want to PM me. Both about school choice and longer term CPG recruiting. Best of luck with your decision! I'm sure you'll do well no matter where you go.

Go Blue!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kellogg ($$) Vs Ross ($$$$) Vs Sloan ($) vs Duke ($$$$)   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2019, 09:28

Kellogg ($$) Vs Ross ($$$$) Vs Sloan ($) vs Duke ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate