Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Kellogg or Sloan?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Kellogg vs Sloan - International admit, no scholarship [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
If you really are interested in a Product Manager role, there's a reason that with the exception of Harvard and Wharton, almost every school that does well in placing in silicon valley is because they have a strong business name + enough engineering alums who work there. Think of Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, and maybe even UCLA - all of those schools place really well into tech, but they also have countless engineers who go work in those firms, as well. You are tapping into the MIT network, not just the Sloan one. That's not to say other schools don't do well - Kellogg has an amazing track record in placing PM's in tech, but if you really are interested in tech/PM over consulting, MIT is worth a long, hard look at. Both schools will do well for you in consulting, with Kellogg the slight edge. But if I were you - go with Sloan. Just my $0.02.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your input.

To answer bb

Quote:
Is Kellogg known in Mexico or South America?

Yes, within the traditional business world (tech giants, consulting companies such as MBB, Big 4, banking and finance) Kellogg is very well known, same as Sloan. I would say they are seen the same as in the US. Outside, within the manufacturing industries or circles where MBAs are not very well known, they probably won't, and even less so the parent university: Northwestern. MIT is known by everyone everywhere as you say.

Admit weekends are on Feb 1-2 for Kellogg and Feb 15-16 for Sloan. Unfortunately the deadline is Feb 7 for Kellogg. I was thinking of just putting down the deposit. This is a very important decision for me, and I was thinking maybe I will be able to make up my mind after I visit both.
Further suggestions are welcome!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saga31 wrote:
Hey guys,

To answer bb

Quote:

Yes, within the traditional business world (tech giants, consulting companies such as MBB, Big 4, banking and finance) Kellogg is very well known, same as Sloan. I would say they are seen the same as in the US. Outside, within the manufacturing industries or circles where MBAs are not very well known, they probably won't, and even less so the parent university: Northwestern. MIT is known by everyone everywhere as you say.

Admit weekends are on Feb 1-2 for Kellogg and Feb 15-16 for Sloan. Unfortunately the deadline is Feb 7 for Kellogg. I was thinking of just putting down the deposit. This is a very important decision for me, and I was thinking maybe I will be able to make up my mind after I visit both.

Thanks for sharing.
I don't see how you will be able to rule out Kellogg before visiting Sloan so I feel putting down the deposit is the right thing to do. Then you can visit Sloan and see if it is worth losing deposit.
P.S. I would not hide the fact that you are torn and had to put down a deposit at Kellogg from the Sloan AdCom if that comes up in the conversation. ;) Never know what they may be able to bring to the table. It could be money or something intangible but still valuable that you may have overlooked originally.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
saga31 wrote:
Hey guys,

To answer bb

Quote:

Thanks for sharing.
I don't see how you will be able to rule out Kellogg before visiting Sloan so I feel putting down the deposit is the right thing to do. Then you can visit Sloan and see if it is worth losing deposit.
P.S. I would not hide the fact that you are torn and had to put down a deposit at Kellogg from the Sloan AdCom if that comes up in the conversation. ;) Never know what they may be able to bring to the table. It could be money or something intangible but still valuable that you may have overlooked originally.

Thanks for the answer!

I have decided to go to both admit days. I honestly didn't think this would be such a tough decision.

One more thing maybe a current student could help clarify: I have read in many websites that Kellogg is supposedly better for general management. What does general management mean exactly in this context, and how is Kellogg better? Is it that much better?

Reason I am asking is because I want to become a better leader through an MBA, it's one of the big reasons why I am going to business school.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
saga31 wrote:
One more thing maybe a current student could help clarify: I have read in many websites that Kellogg is supposedly better for general management. What does general management mean exactly in this context, and how is Kellogg better? Is it that much better?

Reason I am asking is because I want to become a better leader through an MBA, it's one of the big reasons why I am going to business school.

I hope this link help you
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-scope ... Management
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
What a great and tough decision! Make sure you go into the admit days with a list of questions you want answered and types of students you'd like to meet (e.g., someone in a career path you are interested in, clubs you are curious about).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ko91 wrote:
What a great and tough decision! Make sure you go into the admit days with a list of questions you want answered and types of students you'd like to meet (e.g., someone in a career path you are interested in, clubs you are curious about).

Hi! Thanks for the suggestion, I indeed will inquire a lot about the career path I am looking to pursue.

I was actually deciding for Sloan given the (majorly sided) feedback from you guys and family&friends, but Kellogg has done such a great job, a lot better than Sloan actually, of connecting me with people and reaching out that it's hard to not pay attention to that.

On top of that, the Kellogg Tech club reached out a couple of days ago and made me aware of the new Technology Management Pathway and the focus Kellogg is putting on Technology seeing recent trends.

In any case, hopefully admit weekends help me make the best decision.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I’m also from Mexico and I’ve lived in Boston and Chicago, so if you want my perspective from a living situation, don’t hesitate to reach out!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [15]
Send PM
Kudos