GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jan 2019, 21:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Round 3 vs Next Year: When Should You Apply?

January 16, 2019

January 16, 2019

10:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Learn what distinguishes Round 3 from other rounds and how to assess your profile to decide when to apply to b-school in this live webinar! Wednesday, Jan 16th at 10AM PST / 1PM ET
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews

Kellogg vs Sloan - International admit, no scholarship

new topic post reply Update application status  

Kellogg or Sloan?

• 11% [3]
  • 88% [23]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 4
Kellogg vs Sloan - International admit, no scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 10:55
Hi everyone,

First of all, happy holidays! Hope you all enjoy this time of the year with your family and friends. All the best for 2019.

Now, I am having a really tough time choosing where to go after R1 decisions. I applied to Booth, Kellogg, Sloan, Fuqua and Anderson. Was waitlisted at Booth and accepted everywhere else with no scholarship unfortunately. It has all come down to Sloan and Kellogg, and even after visiting campus at Evanston and Cambridge I am still having a really tough time deciding what to do.

Post MBA I want to work for a tech company as a product manager. Target companies would be Google, Microsoft, Amazon. I will also recruit for strategy consulting.

I think both programs are great for those tracks, with Sloan a little better for Tech and Kellogg a little (or a lot?) better for consulting.

I am looking for a place to increase my leadership skills, focusing on a strong core of business fundamentals and general management.

I consider myself as an introvert (not shy though) and I am an engineer. So yeah, MIT has been always my dream school. But there's something about Kellogg's vibe about being a friendly place that I got when I visited, and being out of my comfort zone with people from many different backgrounds and who are mostly extroverted team players will probably allow me to grow in a different way.

I am also aware of the visa situation in the US for international candidates so I am not betting that I will be able to get sponsored and stay in the US right after the program.
My ideal scenario would be to stay for a few years (have to pay back them loans!) and go back to Mexico in the medium term at a regional office (whichever path I end up pursuing, tech or consulting. All of my target companies have big offices in Mexico City).
Because of the above, it would be better I think to go to the program with more international pull, with the better brand and network outside of the US. I do not know what is the case between these two programs. I do know that there are more Mexicans at Kellogg than at Sloan.

Both are in or near big cities (Boston vs Chicago, doesn't really make much of a difference in my eyes), are pretty much tied in terms of rankings and their job placement and numbers is very similar.

I would love to hear your opinions on what do here, as you can tell I am pretty torn but I want to make a decision that will give me peace of mind and won't have me wondering "what if I had chosen the other program".

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kellogg vs Sloan - International admit, no scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 12:12
First of all congratulations on your fantastic work! Well done with those applications.

You are asking the right question. In any program there will be a though moment and it is important not to have regrets during those times.

I don’t know is the short answer. The long answer is that Kellogg has always been rankled highjer but Sloan has a stronger international name with MIT behind it. Is Kellogg known in Mexico or South America? While you can say MIT in Bolivian jungle and everyone will know it and be fairly impressed.

Congrats!

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 13:15
My two cents.
Firstly, congratulations! In terms of recruiting both will give you the right opportunities so I think it moves beyond recruiting numbers here. I voted Sloan due to international reputation relative to Kellogg.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 14:35
If you really are interested in a Product Manager role, there's a reason that with the exception of Harvard and Wharton, almost every school that does well in placing in silicon valley is because they have a strong business name + enough engineering alums who work there. Think of Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, and maybe even UCLA - all of those schools place really well into tech, but they also have countless engineers who go work in those firms, as well. You are tapping into the MIT network, not just the Sloan one. That's not to say other schools don't do well - Kellogg has an amazing track record in placing PM's in tech, but if you really are interested in tech/PM over consulting, MIT is worth a long, hard look at. Both schools will do well for you in consulting, with Kellogg the slight edge. But if I were you - go with Sloan. Just my $0.02.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 15:07
Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your input.

To answer bb

Quote:
Is Kellogg known in Mexico or South America?

Yes, within the traditional business world (tech giants, consulting companies such as MBB, Big 4, banking and finance) Kellogg is very well known, same as Sloan. I would say they are seen the same as in the US. Outside, within the manufacturing industries or circles where MBAs are not very well known, they probably won't, and even less so the parent university: Northwestern. MIT is known by everyone everywhere as you say.

Admit weekends are on Feb 1-2 for Kellogg and Feb 15-16 for Sloan. Unfortunately the deadline is Feb 7 for Kellogg. I was thinking of just putting down the deposit. This is a very important decision for me, and I was thinking maybe I will be able to make up my mind after I visit both.
Further suggestions are welcome!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 15:30
saga31 wrote:
Hey guys,

To answer bb

Quote:

Yes, within the traditional business world (tech giants, consulting companies such as MBB, Big 4, banking and finance) Kellogg is very well known, same as Sloan. I would say they are seen the same as in the US. Outside, within the manufacturing industries or circles where MBAs are not very well known, they probably won't, and even less so the parent university: Northwestern. MIT is known by everyone everywhere as you say.

Admit weekends are on Feb 1-2 for Kellogg and Feb 15-16 for Sloan. Unfortunately the deadline is Feb 7 for Kellogg. I was thinking of just putting down the deposit. This is a very important decision for me, and I was thinking maybe I will be able to make up my mind after I visit both.

Thanks for sharing.
I don't see how you will be able to rule out Kellogg before visiting Sloan so I feel putting down the deposit is the right thing to do. Then you can visit Sloan and see if it is worth losing deposit.
P.S. I would not hide the fact that you are torn and had to put down a deposit at Kellogg from the Sloan AdCom if that comes up in the conversation. ;) Never know what they may be able to bring to the table. It could be money or something intangible but still valuable that you may have overlooked originally.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 07:46
bb wrote:
saga31 wrote:
Hey guys,

To answer bb

Quote:

Thanks for sharing.
I don't see how you will be able to rule out Kellogg before visiting Sloan so I feel putting down the deposit is the right thing to do. Then you can visit Sloan and see if it is worth losing deposit.
P.S. I would not hide the fact that you are torn and had to put down a deposit at Kellogg from the Sloan AdCom if that comes up in the conversation. ;) Never know what they may be able to bring to the table. It could be money or something intangible but still valuable that you may have overlooked originally.

Thanks for the answer!

I have decided to go to both admit days. I honestly didn't think this would be such a tough decision.

One more thing maybe a current student could help clarify: I have read in many websites that Kellogg is supposedly better for general management. What does general management mean exactly in this context, and how is Kellogg better? Is it that much better?

Reason I am asking is because I want to become a better leader through an MBA, it's one of the big reasons why I am going to business school.
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 08:19
saga31 wrote:
One more thing maybe a current student could help clarify: I have read in many websites that Kellogg is supposedly better for general management. What does general management mean exactly in this context, and how is Kellogg better? Is it that much better?

Reason I am asking is because I want to become a better leader through an MBA, it's one of the big reasons why I am going to business school.

I hope this link help you
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-scope ... Management
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 09:48
What a great and tough decision! Make sure you go into the admit days with a list of questions you want answered and types of students you'd like to meet (e.g., someone in a career path you are interested in, clubs you are curious about).
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 13:54
ko91 wrote:
What a great and tough decision! Make sure you go into the admit days with a list of questions you want answered and types of students you'd like to meet (e.g., someone in a career path you are interested in, clubs you are curious about).

Hi! Thanks for the suggestion, I indeed will inquire a lot about the career path I am looking to pursue.

I was actually deciding for Sloan given the (majorly sided) feedback from you guys and family&friends, but Kellogg has done such a great job, a lot better than Sloan actually, of connecting me with people and reaching out that it's hard to not pay attention to that.

On top of that, the Kellogg Tech club reached out a couple of days ago and made me aware of the new Technology Management Pathway and the focus Kellogg is putting on Technology seeing recent trends.

In any case, hopefully admit weekends help me make the best decision.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kellogg vs Sloan - International admit, no scholarship &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jan 2019, 13:54

Kellogg vs Sloan - International admit, no scholarship

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap