GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 10:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     03:00 PM EST

     04:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Posts: 92
Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Oct 2018, 07:40
5
1
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:08) correct 16% (01:12) wrong based on 1818 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If they did, countries with the largest budget deficits would also have the largest trade deficits. In fact, when deficit figures are adjusted so that different countries are reliably comparable to each other, there is no such correlation.

If the statements above are all true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?


(A) Countries with large national budget deficits tend to restrict foreign trade.

(B) Reliable comparisons of the deficit figures of one country with those of another are impossible.

(C) Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have.

(D) When countries are ordered from largest to smallest in terms of population, the smallest countries generally have the smallest budget and trade deficits.

(E) Countries with the largest trade deficits never have similarly large national budget deficits.

Originally posted by joyseychow on 27 Oct 2009, 05:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Oct 2018, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 55
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2009, 09:49
2
Restate the premise "large national deficits may not necessarily result in large trade deficits. there is no correlation between national deficits and trade deficits"

A) Out of scope. The premise is about national deficits and trade deficits. it has nothing about trade restriction
B) False. The premise is about the correlation between national deficits and trade deficits. It has no information about comparison between deficits of different countries. In addition, the word impossible is too strong. There are no facts support such comparison is impossible.
C) Correct answer. The premise states that there is no correlation between national and trade deficits. Therefore, reducing one may or may not lead to the reduction of another.
D) The premise says nothing about population. Rule out
E) Exact opposite. The premise says there is no correlation between trade deficits and national deficits
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 761
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 04:49
3
1
Premise : there is no such correlation between budget deficit and trade deficit

So we can infer that reducing budget deficit will NOT necessarily reduce the trade deficit.
C is correct.

(A) Countries with large national budget deficits tend to restrict foreign trade. >> Foreign trade is Out of scope
(B) Reliable comparisons of the deficit figures of one country with those of another are impossible. >> Impossible here is wrong. It cannot be inferred from this passage.
(C) Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have. Answer
(D) When countries are ordered from largest to smallest in terms of population, the smallest countries generally have the smallest budget and trade deficits. >> The size of the country has no bearing on the argument. Irrelevant
(E) Countries with the largest trade deficits never have similarly large national budget deficits. >> Never is wrong. This cannot be inferred.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Affiliations: NCC,SAE,YHIA
Joined: 04 May 2010
Posts: 37
Location: Mumbai , India
WE 1: 3 years international sales & mktg-projects
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2010, 13:20
2
Premise: When deficit figures are adjusted so that the countries can be reliably compared , no correlation is found between budget deficit and trade deficit.

Conclusion:-Large Budget deficit does not mean large trade deficit.

(A) Countries with large national budget deficits tend to restrict foreign trade.
Not relevant to argument.
(B) Reliable comparisons of the deficit figures of one country with those of another are impossible.
Argument itself closes the loophole by including "when adjusted", therefore it is irrelevant whether comparison can be made or not. Further impossible introduces extreme inference.
(C) Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have.
Correct, since there is no correlation between BD & TD , it is safe to infer that reducing BD may not lead to lowering of TD.
(D) When countries are ordered from largest to smallest in terms of population, the smallest countries generally have the smallest budget and trade deficits.
New information , argument does not refer to population sizes.
(E) Countries with the largest trade deficits never have similarly large national budget deficits.
"Never" exaggerates the inference, no relationship between BD & TD doesn't mean BD &TD cannot occur together.

IMO C.
_________________

Sun Tzu-Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 138
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2012, 07:49
4
I chose C for this question:

A. This answer may or may not be true - there is not enough information within the stimulus to say that this answer is true.

B. This answer choice directly counters a statement within the stimulus. The stimulus says "when deficit figures are adjusted so that different countries are reliably comparable to each other..."

C. This is a good inference. The reason is because it essentially restates that large national budget deficits and large trade deficits have no correlation.

D. We are not concerned with ordering countries from largest to smallest population - this answer choice is irrelevant. Also, the smallest countries may or may not have the smallest budget and trade deficits - there is nothing within the stimulus to suggest this answer.

E. Firstly, the word "never have" is very strong - I was a bit suspicious of this. Also, I knew that this wasn't true because there is actually no correlation between large national budget deficits and large trade deficits as stated in the last sentence. Therefore, this answer choice can't be correct.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2013, 15:13
Please, help with this question:
Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If they did, countries with the largest budget deficits would also have the largest trade deficits. In fact, when deficit figures are adjusted so that different countries are reliably comparable to each other, there is no such correlation.
If the statements above are all true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?

(A) Countries with large national budget deficits tend to restrict foreign trade.
(B) Reliable comparisons of the deficit figures of one country with those of another are impossible.
(C) Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have.
(D) When countries are ordered from largest to smallest in terms of population, the smallest countries generally have the smallest budget and trade deficits.
(E) Countries with the largest trade deficits never have similarly large national budget deficits.

Anlysis:

I chose E based on the statements, I do not have a reason to think of it as a wring answer, it might be the extreme word "NEVER" but I do not see any reason further. Could someone help me please?

thank you,

Alexis
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8678
Location: Pune, India
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2013, 21:12
Alexisvargas10 wrote:
Please, help with this question:
Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If they did, countries with the largest budget deficits would also have the largest trade deficits. In fact, when deficit figures are adjusted so that different countries are reliably comparable to each other, there is no such correlation.
If the statements above are all true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?

(A) Countries with large national budget deficits tend to restrict foreign trade.
(B) Reliable comparisons of the deficit figures of one country with those of another are impossible.
(C) Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have.
(D) When countries are ordered from largest to smallest in terms of population, the smallest countries generally have the smallest budget and trade deficits.
(E) Countries with the largest trade deficits never have similarly large national budget deficits.

Anlysis:

I chose E based on the statements, I do not have a reason to think of it as a wring answer, it might be the extreme word "NEVER" but I do not see any reason further. Could someone help me please?

thank you,

Alexis


The argument tells us that budget deficit is not correlated with trade deficit. Does this imply that countries with large trade deficit can never have large budget deficit? If you say that, you are saying that the two deficits are correlated in some way. The point is that they are not related so if one is large, the other could be small or large. A country with a large budget deficit may have a small or a large trade deficit - apparently, the trade deficit depends on factors other than budget deficit. Hence we cannot say that the country with a large budget deficit can not have a large trade deficit.
As for the extreme words, you cannot ignore an option just because it has an extreme word in it. Usually, "every", "all", "never" etc rarely work in real life and hence our conclusions will usually not have such words but an argument could be easily worded such that an extreme word appears in the correct answer.

The correct answer here would be (C)
(C) Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have.
The argument tells us that the two deficits are not correlated so reducing one will not necessarily result in lowering of the other. The other may or may not reduce depending on other factors.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2011
Posts: 34
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2014, 01:57
aiming4mba wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition
Practice Question
Question No.: 12
Page: 120
Difficulty:


Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If they did, countries with the largest budget deficits would also have the largest trade deficits. In fact, when deficit figures are adjusted so that different countries are reliably comparable to each other, there is no such correlation.

If the statements above are all true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?
(A) Countries with large national budget deficits tend to restrict foreign trade.
(B) Reliable comparisons of the deficit figures of one country with those of another are impossible.
(C) Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have.
(D) When countries are ordered from largest to smallest in terms of population, the smallest countries generally have the smallest budget and trade deficits.
(E) Countries with the largest trade deficits never have similarly large national budget deficits.


Can any expert please help explain the difference in meaning between 2nd line of the passage and answer choice (B)?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1017
Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2014, 15:39
2
mneeti wrote:
aiming4mba wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition
Practice Question
Question No.: 12
Page: 120
Difficulty:


Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If they did, countries with the largest budget deficits would also have the largest trade deficits. In fact, when deficit figures are adjusted so that different countries are reliably comparable to each other, there is no such correlation.

If the statements above are all true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?
(A) Countries with large national budget deficits tend to restrict foreign trade.
(B) Reliable comparisons of the deficit figures of one country with those of another are impossible.
(C) Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have.
(D) When countries are ordered from largest to smallest in terms of population, the smallest countries generally have the smallest budget and trade deficits.
(E) Countries with the largest trade deficits never have similarly large national budget deficits.


Can any expert please help explain the difference in meaning between 2nd line of the passage and answer choice (B)?


Hello mneeti.

The 2nd line of the stimulus says: when deficit figures are adjusted so that different countries are reliably comparable to each other, there is no such correlation.

It means when deficit figures are adjusted to a comparable levels --> there is NO correlation "countries with the largest budget deficits would also have the largest trade deficits".

Do not be confused the term "such correlation".

Option B, however, says the deficit figures of one country with those of another can't be compared. That's wrong. They are different, but can be adjusted to a comparable levels.

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 216
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 02:08
sir can you please help me to understand the argument
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2151
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 14:16
rishabhmishra wrote:
sir can you please help me to understand the argument

According to the author, "large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits." The rest of the passage supports this claim:

  • If large national budget deficits DID cause large trade deficits, then "countries with the largest budget deficits would also have the largest trade deficits."
  • However, when countries are reliably compared (by adjusting deficit figures), "there is no such correlation."

Thus, the evidence suggests that TRADE deficits do not necessary go up as BUDGET deficits go up. This, in turn, suggests that trade deficits would not necessarily go DOWN as BUDGET deficits go down. So we need an answer choice that fits with these inferences.

See if that helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 618
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 07:03
If you negate (C) that is "Reducing a country’s national budget deficit will not necessarily result in a lowering of any trade deficit that country may have" CONTRADICTS the first statement "Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits". This results in establishing the "cause and effect relationship". Hence option C is correctly reproducing the claim in question stem that there is not causation between budgets deficits and trade deficits.
_________________

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If &nbs [#permalink] 31 May 2018, 07:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Large national budget deficits do not cause large trade deficits. If

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.