GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 10:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Last 10 days left for GMAT exam but still difficult to crack RC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Last 10 days left for GMAT exam but still difficult to crack RC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 08:43
Hello Experts,

My GMAT is scheduled on 13th Oct'17. Almost done with preparations. Have solved OG18 along with Verbal and Quant Guide.

Targeting for a score of 700. But i find difficulty in getting through RC passages and Questions. I am able to narrow down to 2 options and mostly mark the wrong one while choosing the best. The accuracy is at around 60-70%.

I have gone through many discussion forums on this club and employed the same RC strategies but still do not have confidence in this section.

Seek your advice on what should be my strategy for these last 7 days to improve at-least another 10% or so on accuracy.

Thanks
Satish
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Last 10 days left for GMAT exam but still difficult to crack RC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 11:59
Hi Satish,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Last 10 days left for GMAT exam but still difficult to crack RC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 20:11
Well, this is my advice since i was on your shoe.
The first and most important things is perfecting the other parts of Verbal, SC and CR. If you could an ability of 90% on SC and 85% on CR, you can let your RC be in the same range of 60 to 70 % and still get an score as good as of 39, which is 89 percentile. This is exactly what happened to me. SC 92, CR 86 and RC 58.

Now, RC does require good comprehension and my suggestion is that do good guess on inference question and save up the time on other RC question types. RC however comes with Practice. I was 30 percent initially and could get my ability to 70 to 80 percent on practice but on the exam i got 58. And i am not a native speaker and was working on this issue for last four months.

It is your call now how do you want to deal with it. By now you should think of strategy how to take the exam but not how to perfect your understanding or your skills.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 21:04
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Satish,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?- past 2 months
2) What study materials have you used so far?- OG18, Verbal and Quant Guide plus GMAT Club problems
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?- GMAT Prep- 650 (Q49, V29), Veritas Prep- 660 (Q50, V31)

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?-target score- 700[/color]
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Nov'17
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?- ISB, IIM and top 20 B schools of US

Rich
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 22:31
Hi Satish,

Your 2 practice CAT Scores are remarkably similar to one another, so assuming that you took those CATs in a realistic fashion, then you're closer to a 700+ than you probably realize. That having been said, it's not clear whether RC is only area that might be keeping you from your score goal.

After reviewing the Verbal section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) On how many questions did you 'narrow the answers down to 2 choices' but still get the question wrong?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 00:15
satish060290 wrote:
Hello Experts,

My GMAT is scheduled on 13th Oct'17. Almost done with preparations. Have solved OG18 along with Verbal and Quant Guide.

Targeting for a score of 700. But i find difficulty in getting through RC passages and Questions. I am able to narrow down to 2 options and mostly mark the wrong one while choosing the best. The accuracy is at around 60-70%.

I have gone through many discussion forums on this club and employed the same RC strategies but still do not have confidence in this section.

Seek your advice on what should be my strategy for these last 7 days to improve at-least another 10% or so on accuracy.

Thanks
Satish

You might want to evaluate the kind of questions on which you make the most mistakes in RC. Read up on how exactly to approach them and then practice those specifically. Even a 10% improvement in your accuracy at this time would be quite commendable. Don't worry too much though - in the last 2-3 days recap and relax. If your accuracy in CR and SC is better, overall, you should get a good score in Verbal.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Last 10 days left for GMAT exam but still difficult to crack RC &nbs [#permalink] 04 Oct 2017, 00:15

Last 10 days left for GMAT exam but still difficult to crack RC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap