GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Last day to reschedule is today. Scored 700 in GMAT PREP today.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Last day to reschedule is today. Scored 700 in GMAT PREP today.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Aug 2017, 11:12
Hello Everyone,

I have my GMAT scheduled on 15th July(Next Saturday) and I am wondering whether I should reschedule. I just have today to take that decision(or tomorrow too?)

I gave a practice test in GMAT Prep and scored 700 today (Q-47,V-40).

My Quant score sucks though I have always been a very high scorer in Quant in school and Engineering. I believe I took Quant way too lightly and devoted probably 10% of my time to Quant during the whole preparation. Most of my mistakes were stupid mistakes in Easy/Medium level questions. There were 13 mistakes in total and 7 of the last 10 were wrong owing to terrible time management. Also, I felt I was panicking at times looking at the clock and was worrying more about time management than the question at hand.

Verbal was a smoother ride. This is the first time it has touched 40, and it is after the last 10-12 days of intense verbal practice of 700-800 level questions and revising the notes I took from the Crackverbal online classes after I had got 34 in my last Kaplan Mock and 35 in the Veritas test.

My target score is around 730.

My first practice test was the Kaplan Free test in which I scored 700(Q-49,V-37. ). It was towards the end of May. My GMAT was scheduled on 17th June at that point.

However, I was going through a lot of changes (relocated to a new country, new job role, loneliness in a new country with no friends or people of my age group etc.)at that point and postponed it for a month. The job is demanding and stressful but I didn't really need to stretch beyond 9-10 hours much yet.

Right now I feel I should give myself 1 more month and take my Quant to 50-51 and build upon Verbal as much as I can. I am pretty sure that the quant score is pissing me off and doesn't really reflect my ability in Quant.

Please let me know your thoughts on the reschedule and what road map should I follow to take my score to 730-740 level.

Best regards

Originally posted by sliceoflife on 07 Jul 2017, 09:41.
Last edited by sliceoflife on 16 Aug 2017, 11:12, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Last day to reschedule is today. Scored 700 in GMAT PREP today.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 14:50
Congrats on moving to a new place and sorry it is taking a while to pick back up - I would highly suggest finding a Toast Masters group - it will do wonders for your career, your thinking, and personal development.

As to your GMAT, if your goal is 730, then 700 GMAT Prep is unlikely to be a good marker/indicator, esp since the GMAT has introduced the select section order feature, that may throw things off unless you are going to be taking the test using the old section order.

Ideally you want to be taking the tests (Q or V) over the period of your prep, so you can have a good sense where you belong in terms of your scores and it is a progression and even if you have a random score such as 680 right before the test, you still know that you have been getting 720's and 740's all along, so it may be a fluke.

I would probably reschedule unless you felt you really need to take the test now to stay committed to your timeline.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Last day to reschedule is today. Scored 700 in GMAT PREP today.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 15:42
Agreed - if you feel like you could benefit from another month of studying, then rescheduling might be your best option.

In order to reach your target goal of 730-740, it may be best to take different practice tests to get used to the pacing. At the same time, you can see whether your scores are in line with your goal or if you need to review some additional concepts prior to taking another practice exam. Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 07:32
bb wrote:
Congrats on moving to a new place and sorry it is taking a while to pick back up - I would highly suggest finding a Toast Masters group - it will do wonders for your career, your thinking, and personal development.

As to your GMAT, if your goal is 730, then 700 GMAT Prep is unlikely to be a good marker/indicator, esp since the GMAT has introduced the select section order feature, that may throw things off unless you are going to be taking the test using the old section order.

Ideally you want to be taking the tests (Q or V) over the period of your prep, so you can have a good sense where you belong in terms of your scores and it is a progression and even if you have a random score such as 680 right before the test, you still know that you have been getting 720's and 740's all along, so it may be a fluke.

I would probably reschedule unless you felt you really need to take the test now to stay committed to your timeline.

Hi BB,

Thanks for taking out time to reply. I have postponed by GMAT date to 12th August. So war mode on.

Also, thanks for your suggestion to join Toastmasters, I was thinking about it too. I intend to join it once I am done with GMAT.

I am planning to buy the GMAT club tests for improving my Quant score from Q47 to Q50. I have heard very good feedback about it from a couple of my friends and also in the forum. Is it possible to buy only the Quant sections of the practice tests? If not, then I shall buy the entire set.

Also, it would be great if you or Bunuel could kindly let me know how to best utilize the GMAT club tests in the 1 month that I have so that I reach 50. I am ready to give this whatever it takes and slog as much as needed in the coming days.

I have seen that I tend to force myself to solve most quant questions using pure mathematics to satisfy myself mentally and don't really prefer to plug numbers. That obviously has an effect on my speed in the tests. I am trying to come out of that mindset.

I am currently planning on solving around 10 questions from SC and CR each, along with solving 2-3 LSAT RC passages for the next 1 month on the weekdays. I want to supplement this with 1 GMAT club Quant test daily or maybe every alternate day. I will give practice tests over the weekends.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you?

Best regards
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Last day to reschedule is today. Scored 700 in GMAT PREP today.   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2017, 07:32

Last day to reschedule is today. Scored 700 in GMAT PREP today.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap