GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Feb 2019, 19:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

February 16, 2019

February 16, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Last Minute Help Please!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Last Minute Help Please!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 03:52
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
My pleasure! Reach out with any further questions.
Hello Mr.Scott I have been following this strategy for the Quant section by practicing based on topics so this what I do
1.Cover a topic from MMGMAT book and I practice that particular topic from Gmatclub (start with 500 level ) I don’t filter official why? Because I think won’t get access to maybe there could be efficient solutions offered by you and other experts on some questions which may be unofficial so I try to solve all questions. Most questions averagely PS 200 questions in number in the categories after I move to DS of the same topic and practice at least 80 questions did this for the past three months even focusing on Quant only
Every mistake or question I solved wrongly is written down and I review regularly
Very frustrated because with all this effort am stuck at Quant 26-28
Haven completed topics such as (Arithmetic,Fractions/%/Decimals/Algebra ,Absolute value,inequalities and Distance rates ) so far all level 500, was thinking to complete all topics at level 500 before moving to 600 level but at least should have be in Quant 30+
Expert please what am I doing wrong coz time is precious can’t put in time without seeing results
Sept Gmatclub test Quant 26
Oct Quant 28
Nov Quant 26. Help
My target Quant score is 45

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Last Minute Help Please!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 09:35
Hi Staphyk,

Thank you for reaching back out. I do see one potential flaw in your strategy. Right now your study routine is centered on doing practice problems. While engaging in practice is a necessary part of improving your GMAT skills, such practice is only beneficial after you have studied the topics on which those questions are based. So, it’s clear that you don’t have the conceptual knowledge you need to get much out of your practice, right?

Moving forward, consider adjusting your study plan such that it allows for linear learning. Specifically, consider using a resource that allows you FIRST to learn the concepts and strategies related to GMAT quant and verbal and SECOND to practice with a large number of realistic questions. You may consider using a quant self-study course, which will allow you to learn in this manner. If you are unsure of which course to use, take a look at the reviews of the best quant courses here on GMAT club.

Feel free to reach out with further questions!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Last Minute Help Please!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 05:45
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Staphyk,

Thank you for reaching back out. I do see one potential flaw in your strategy. Right now your study routine is centered on doing practice problems. While engaging in practice is a necessary part of improving your GMAT skills, such practice is only beneficial after you have studied the topics on which those questions are based. So, it’s clear that you don’t have the conceptual knowledge you need to get much out of your practice, right?

Moving forward, consider adjusting your study plan such that it allows for linear learning. Specifically, consider using a resource that allows you FIRST to learn the concepts and strategies related to GMAT quant and verbal and SECOND to practice with a large number of realistic questions. You may consider using a quant self-study course, which will allow you to learn in this manner. If you are unsure of which course to use, take a look at the reviews of the best quant courses here on GMAT club.

Feel free to reach out with further questions!
Very True Sir,But I think have covered the concepts enough coz I have gone through the MGMAT twice some topics I have even done them thrice and also read veritas and a topic which I still can’t get the concept I go to the internet to learn about it after going through the books ,before I started practicing ,Don’t you think might be my application of this topics and I will check the course up
and please one last thing
When solving any word problem which is best ?
1. Read entire problem,know what the question ask before going back to the problem to take note of each sentence to make equations.
2.Start taking note of each sentence right away before you get to what is asked
3 Read the question first(what is asked) before starting with the problem.
Please which of the above is efficient for solving any word problem of if all is not kindly suggest one ,Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 18:16
Hi Staphyk,

So, each of the three described methods could work well. Why don’t you practice each one and see which works best for you?

Feel free to keep me updated on your progress.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 12:23
new800 wrote:
I just took the GMAT on Monday and I was very disappointed with my score of 680, Q49 and V34. Especially since I bought the official practice tests 3 and 4, went through them without pausing and trying to mimic the test environment, and scored 750 and 770. I noticed some of the questions repeated between the tests which I think attributed to my false score. I bought all of the 404 official practice questions and went through those. I crammed studied one week with video lessons and some of their questions. I essentially spent two weeks cramming for the test before I wrote it and before that I have been studying on and off with questions of the day from here and a 2014 Kaplan book that my friend gave me. I also went through the everything you need to know for quant that gmat club offers.

I don't know if it was just test day that got to me. Or if I'm really not above the 700 level. I know I have some weak areas in quant that were maybe exposed in the real test. Weak areas such as I may second guess my mental math, some ratio problems I have trouble with, I dislike questions about trips with multiple parts and questions with inequalities, especially when absolute values are mixed in. I don't know how I suffered so much on verbal. I've never been strong on verbal though. An issue I have with verbal is on RC questions I may not understand what the passage is about, the question asked and even the answers. I also don't tend to read very fast. SC questions I find myself second guessing a lot. CR questions sometimes I just find them too difficult.

I did find that on some questions in the quant section that I was second guessing myself, or I didn't know immediately what approach I should take to solve the problem and spent too much time on some questions. I almost didn't finish as I rushed through the last couple of questions. I think I had about 10 seconds for the final question which was disappointing because it looked like a problem that I could have solved very quickly if I had 30 seconds to focus. For verbal, something bad must have happened near the beginning because by the time I was at the last two questions I had over ten minutes left...

I have to master some areas in quant to get up from Q49 to Q50 or Q51 which I think is possible. Seems to me like I will have to just keep practicing. For verbal though I am not even sure where to begin as it just seems like I'm so weak there.

I would appreciate and suggestions for improvement or links to resources and your advice. Well, if anything, thank you very much for your time.

Tips to improve qant :
1. Know the Exam
It sounds simple, but you’d be amazed at how many students don’t study all the subjects they’ll encounter in CAT Quant. Either they don’t know what those subjects are, they’ve studied with the wrong practice materials, or they’re crossing their fingers that their particular weaknesses won’t show up on this year’s test. Don’t let this be you! Check out the Math Syllabus for the CAT Exam to brush up on the Quant topics you might see.

2. Practice Mental Math
Yes, I know there’s a calculator on-screen. But have you spent any time using on-screen calculators? If you have, you know that they’re clumsy and waste precious seconds. Beyond that, test-takers end up relying on them for math they could do just as quickly (if not more quickly!) in their heads. Spend some time each day building up your mental math skills as you practice. It does take some practice, so start early—but you’ll be amply rewarded with extra time on the exam.

3. Use Flashcards in Context
So many test-takers prepare for Quant by writing out formulas on flashcards. Don’t get me wrong—it’s great to study on the go! But it’s no good to know a formula if you don’t know how to use it. A better idea? Write out problems that use those formulas on the flashcards. Even if you’re on the bus or waiting in line and don’t have room to take notes, all the better—it’s a great time for mental math practice!

4. Know Your Strategies
By the time the official exam rolls around, you should have your general Quant strategy all set. How many questions will you attempt? You can check out some of these posts for guidance, based on how accurate you are and what your score goal is:

How Many Questions Should I Attempt in CAT 2017?
How Many CAT Questions Should I Attempt to Score Within the 100 Percentile?
How Many CAT Questions Should I Attempt to Score Within the 99.5 Percentile?
How Many CAT Questions Should I Attempt to Score Within the 95 Percentile?
How Many CAT Questions Should I Attempt to Score Within the 90 Percentile?
How Many CAT Questions Should I Attempt to Score Within the 80 Percentile?
But you should also be familiar with strategies you can use in the Quant section particularly. Even though these are GMAT tips, they work just as well on the CAT:

Backsolving
Strategies for Halving and Doubling
(Tip: Explore the Quant section of our GMAT blog for even more math practice and tips!)

5. Build Your Endurance
The Quant section is the third and final section of the CAT. By that point, you’ll have been at the test center for more than two hours and most likely be tired, thirsty, hungry, and a lot of other adjectives to boot! The way to address this? Practice in test-like conditions. I know it can be a pain to set aside three hours a week (or twice a week, or even more) to take practice exams all at once—but it’s the only way you’ll get the endurance that you need for test day.

6. Become a “Mathematical Thinker”
How are you at spotting patterns? Using formulas? Putting principles into practice? Thinking mathematically is one skill that you should be practicing constantly before tackling Quant on test day. Check out Mike’s tips for Mathematical Thinking to get you started!

7. Know Your Vocab
If you’re missing a lot of questions in Quant practice, have you considered that you may be misunderstanding the questions themselves? Take a look at our CAT Word List to make sure you have the mathematical vocabulary you need to be truly prepared for the exam.

8. Be Careful
Silly mistakes can cost you big points on CAT Quant. What do I mean by this? Dropping a negative sign. Reading the question wrong. Even answering it correctly, but clicking the wrong answer choice. For more on common math mistakes and how to avoid them, check out Mike’s advice.

9. Get Faster
To get faster, work with sets of 10 practice problems. At first, time yourself, but don’t hold yourself to any particular timeframe. Take note of that time. Then, with each subsequent set, shave a few seconds off of your initial time. Keep going until you hit the same accuracy score—then shave a few more seconds off. This process can take a few weeks or even a few months, but it pays off big in the end.

10. Get Better
At the end of the day, there are only two ways to up your CAT Quant score: get faster and answer more questions, or get better. Ideally, you’d do both. And how do you get better? Take the above tips and apply them to your practice: your drills, your problem sets, your mock exams. Push your accuracy score as high as you can. And when test day comes around, you’ll know that you did everything you could to ensure maximum success on CAT Quant!
IESE Thread Master
S
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 2.5
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 06:38
why are you talking about CAT? if the discussion is on doing the GMAT exam?

2) GMAT does not have an on screen calculator except in IR, where for the questions you need it, i dare you to do the mental math (trust me you'll lose more time than using the onscreen calculator)
4) For GMAT your strategy should NEVER be to not answer questions, not answering questions, is guaranteed to cost you more points than straight up guessing. If you set yourself a time progression chart, and guess if you are falling too far behind the GMAT will give you an easier question if you answer wrong or harder if you guessed right, but in the end what it does is it gives your questions in the range that you can handle. spending 2x as much on harder questions but only answering half of them is not a good idea.
5) you can choose the order of topics in the GMAT. I personally did Quant, verbal, IR, AWA.

keep in mind the GMAT is a different beast than a lot of CATs
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Last Minute Help Please!   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2019, 06:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 46 posts ] 

Last Minute Help Please!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap