Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

LBS or Cornell?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: LBS vs Cornell [#permalink]
Thank you for your thoughts!

I agree that LBS is very international and London is an amazing city, but the brand is not so recognized in the States. May be I am mistaken, but I always believed that american business education is better than european, even if we are talking about top EU schools.

And the other thing that bothers me is the employment opportunities in London. The environment is more competitive than in the US - London is the most wanted and the only english-speaking big city in EU.

Tough tough choice… The decision making process will become even more complicated if I accepted to UCLA. California is more family friendly and less expensive than London (I am moving with my family, have to consider cost of living very seriously).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mba17 wrote:
I am also strongly contemplating LBS. Where did you hear the school has poor career services?

I spoke to several recent alumni. All of them wanted to stay in London for internships and further employment and all of them failed to. They had to leave for their countries and look for employment without any assistance from the school.
As I mentioned in the previous post, London environment is too tight and competitive. US is a big country with more opportunities.

Do you have a different prospective on the school's career center? I might have connected the wrong people who were the most unfortunate in finding placement
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
calmkeeper wrote:
mba17 wrote:
I am also strongly contemplating LBS. Where did you hear the school has poor career services?

I spoke to several recent alumni. All of them wanted to stay in London for internships and further employment and all of them failed to. They had to leave for their countries and look for employment without any assistance from the school.
As I mentioned in the previous post, London environment is too tight and competitive. US is a big country with more opportunities.

Do you have a different prospective on the school's career center? I might have connected the wrong people who were the most unfortunate in finding placement

That sounds a little off. I'm not discounting your primary research but it may have changed over the years? https://blog.admissions.london.edu/2014/ ... in-the-uk/ says that
a) 40 entrepreneurs can be sponsored on Tier 1 Visas (that is ~10% of the class). Especially, useful given the 2014 class only 26 chose that path.
b) Also, it seems that their Tier 2 exemption is pretty clear and usual.

Final note, under Tier 4, your partner can work full time while you study. A big draw for those in a relationship...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on your acceptance to both places. Some things to consider :

London - cons

*London is extremely expensive to live in

*work visas for non-EUs are very very difficult to get

*the UK might as well leave the EU . A likely referendum in 2016 is on its way, and a potential leave has the potential to severely hinder the economy, at least in the short run.

*Competition for jobs in London is beyond brutal. Even with an EU passport, literally you will be competing with thousands for one place.

* The UK is currently one of the highest exporter of ISIS fighters. The country has pending problems with the ethnicity-based crime.

London - pros.

*Amazing city to live in and work in - rich history and gorgeous architecture. Many things to do

* Income in pounds is really sweet.

* Access to a whole host of amazing cities in Europe.

* LBS obviously has better international reputation

* LBS attracts absolutely the finest banks/consulting companies in Europe whereas Cornell faces much stronger competition in the US.

Personally, I would opt for UCLA. If you are not admitted though, it really depends on your nationality and career goals :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ivan91, thank you for the great post!
I totally agree with your arguments. My nationality is Belarus,gender-female,area of interest - business development/brand management/marketing. Both schools are strong in finance/IB though

Considering all the points mentioned,for now my first pick is UCLA, next comes Cornell and last LBS. But I still have doubts!!!

Ivan91 wrote:
Congrats on your acceptance to both places. Some things to consider :

London - cons

*London is extremely expensive to live in

*work visas for non-EUs are very very difficult to get

*the UK might as well leave the EU . A likely referendum in 2016 is on its way, and a potential leave has the potential to severely hinder the economy, at least in the short run.

*Competition for jobs in London is beyond brutal. Even with an EU passport, literally you will be competing with thousands for one place.

* The UK is currently one of the highest exporter of ISIS fighters. The country has pending problems with the ethnicity-based crime.

London - pros.

*Amazing city to live in and work in - rich history and gorgeous architecture. Many things to do

* Income in pounds is really sweet.

* Access to a whole host of amazing cities in Europe.

* LBS obviously has better international reputation

* LBS attracts absolutely the finest banks/consulting companies in Europe whereas Cornell faces much stronger competition in the US.

Personally, I would opt for UCLA. If you are not admitted though, it really depends on your nationality and career goals :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts