Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
Own Kudos [?]: 2274 [14]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [11]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
Own Kudos [?]: 2274 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: Legal cases can be termed “hard” cases if they raise issues that are [#permalink]
Kudos
I get all 5 correct though take a lot of time.

before I practice an excercise in which my teacher creates an error in in line of a passage. we have to find out the error. this excercise is basic and so good that I can read lsat passage now. the key to reading hard passages is realization of the grammatical role of each entities . all of us know that we can know the roles of each phrase easily. but this case is incorrect. the excercise will expose us to our problem. realizing this problem is key to solving the problem.

all of our discussion on rc forum is about answering the question and little of it is about how to read. I wish rc forum have a separate section in which we discuss how to read what kind of excercise and practice we should do to enhance the reading ability. this is more important.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2052 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Re: Legal cases can be termed “hard” cases if they raise issues that are [#permalink]
5 mins 25 secs ... got 3 out of 5.

The last two are especially tricky and need more consideration. I think it would make sense to spend another 4 mins (keeping the 2 mins per questions deadline on passages) while trying to get the last two correct.

Need to slow down and improve accuracy.

Good passage.

Best,
Gladi
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2052 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Dear aura auradediligodo,

The amount of effort you take to write explanations is commendable. +1 kudos to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Gladiator59 did you complete the whole thing including the answers within 5:25 mins ? or just reading the passage ? :shock:

I got all right but took 16 mins. :shh:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
A thorough explanation for question 5.

Quote:
A good way to approach this sort of question is considering whether each paragraph contributes to the purpose articulated in each answer choice. Because the bulk of the passage discusses the interaction of two different theories, the correct answer choice will likely mention these theories.

In addition, if possible, try to prephrase this type of question by locating a thesis statement in the passage. If I had to choose one sentence to represent the author's main purpose, it would be this line near the beginning of the passage: "H. L. A. Hart’s The Concept of Law is still the clearest and most persuasive statement of both the standard theory of hard cases and the standard theory of law on which it rests." This is a statement of the author's opinion, and each paragraph contributes to this overall conclusion.

So, the above reasons would lead to E as a strong contender, but you also want to know what makes B a loser (besides just that it isn't as good as E). Well, B says that hard cases will always exist in law, no matter the laws or the application. The passage doesn't discuss whether it could ever be possible to get rid of hard cases by passing different types of laws or by applying them differently. This answer is overly broad. The author spends so much time discussing two different theories that how could she or he possibly by mainly concerned with justifying whether this would ever be possible. The last reason to stay away from this choice is that you won't be able to find lines in the passage that, when considered together, encompass all of the ideas in this answer choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Legal cases can be termed “hard” cases if they raise issues that are [#permalink]
Quote:
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage regards Hart’s theory of hard cases and the theory of standard law as

(A) exhaustive
(B) worthy of respect
(C) interesting but impractical
(D) plausible but unwieldy
(E) hopelessly outmoded

@MentorTutoring

I am able to eliminate A,C,D,E.
How to infer author view towards Hart's theory as worthy of respect ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage regards Hart’s theory of hard cases and the theory of standard law as

(A) exhaustive
(B) worthy of respect
(C) interesting but impractical
(D) plausible but unwieldy
(E) hopelessly outmoded

@MentorTutoring

I am able to eliminate A,C,D,E.
How to infer author view towards Hart's theory as worthy of respect ?

Hi Harsh2111s,

I agree that Option B cannot be directly inferred from the passage, but the lines: "H. L. A. Hart’s The Concept of Law is still the clearest and most persuasive statement of both the standard theory of hard cases and the standard theory of law on which it rests.", imply some level of clarity that author appreciated Hart's theory and did not find it disputable and since the other options are clearly incorrect, option B is our best bet.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Legal cases can be termed hard cases if they raise issues that are [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Legal cases can be termed hard cases if they raise issues that are [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts