GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for whi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for whi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 07:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:18) correct 48% (02:16) wrong based on 227 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for which the first term is not 2. A permutation is chosen randomly from S. The probability that the second term is 5 is given by a/b (in lowest terms). What is a+b?

(A) 5
(B) 6
(C) 11
(D) 16
(E) 19

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for whi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 07:43
my answer =19.

The number of possible permutation without 2 in the first digit is

4X4X3X2X1=96 ways.

The number of possible permuations with 5 in the second term is= 3X3X2X1=18 ways.

18c1/96c1 = 18/96= 3/16= > a+b=19.

please post OA.

Bunuel wrote:
Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for which the first term is not 2. A permutation is chosen randomly from S. The probability that the second term is 5 is given by a/b (in lowest terms). What is a+b?

(A) 5
(B) 6
(C) 11
(D) 16
(E) 19

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for whi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 08:51
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 5
(B) 6
(C) 11
(D) 16
(E) 19

5!-4!= 4*4! Perms not starting with 2

If 2nd element is 5 and 2 cannot come at 1st place then only 3,4 and 6 can take 1st place
so total arrangements where 5 is 2nd element and 2 is not first are.....3*3!

Probability = 3*3!/4*4! = 3/16

Answer 19

Thanks,
Lucky

Current Student
B
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Schools: Stanford '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for whi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 10:54
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 5
(B) 6
(C) 11
(D) 16
(E) 19

The total number of permutations of this set is 5!. However, since the first digit cannot be 2, there are only 4 options for the first digit - the number of options for the rest of the digits remains the same.

[4][4][3][2][1].

P(second digit is 5) = P(first digit is NOT 5)*P(second digit is 5) = (3/4)(1/4) = 3/16.

Therefore a + b = 19.

Answer: E
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 14:23
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 5
(B) 6
(C) 11
(D) 16
(E) 19

At first we should calculate total variants
first digit - all but 2 - 4 numbers possible
second digit - all but 1 number is used - and 4 numbers possible
third digit - all but 2 numbers is used - and 3 numbers possible
fourth digit - all but 3 number is used - and 2 numbers possible
fifth digit - all but 4 number is used - and 1 number possible

product of all variants will equal to total variants 4 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 96 variants

for calculating probability that the second term is 5 we should calculate number of variants with second term = 5
let's start from most restrictive part - second digit

second digit - only 5 possible - 1 variant
first digit - all but 2 - 3 numbers possible
third digit - all but 2 numbers is used - and 3 numbers possible
fourth digit - all but 3 number is used - and 2 numbers possible
fifth digit - all but 4 number is used - and 1 number possible

product of all variants will equal to total variants with second term equal five: 1 * 3 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 18 variants

so we have possibility \(\frac{18}{96} = \frac{3}{16}\)
a + b = 3 + 16 = 19
Answer is E

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 14:51
In order to satisfy our conditions we need to get first number as a non-5 taking into account that 2 cannot happen either. Odds of that - 3/4. Then we need to get 5 as second number provided only 4 numbers left: 1/4. Since these conditions are connected the resulting odds are 3/4*1/4 = 3/16, thus the answer to the question is 3+16 = 19. Option E.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 07:43
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 5
(B) 6
(C) 11
(D) 16
(E) 19

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Most Common Solution:

What are the permutations of sequence S? They are the different ways in which we can arrange the elements of S. For example, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6 or 4, 2, 3, 6, 5 or 6, 3, 4, 5, 2 etc

In how many different ways can we make the sequence? The first element can be chosen in 4 ways – one of 3, 4, 5 and 6. (You are given that 2 cannot be the first element).

The second element can be chosen in 4 ways (2 and the leftover 3 numbers).

The third element can be chosen in 3 ways.

The fourth element can be chosen in 2 ways.

And finally there will be only 1 element left for the last spot.

Number of ways of making set S = 4*4*3*2*1 = 96

In how many of these sets will 5 be in the second spot?

If 5 is reserved for the second spot, there are only 3 ways of filling the first spot (3 or 4 or 6).

The second spot has to be taken by 5.

The third element will be chosen in 3 ways (ignoring 5 and the first spot)

The fourth element can be chosen in 2 ways.

And finally there will be only 1 element left for the last spot.

Number of favorable cases = 3*1*3*2*1 = 18

Required Probability = Favorable Cases/Total Cases = 18/96 = 3/16 = a/b

a+b = 3 + 16 = 19

Answer (E)

Intellectual Approach:

Use a bit of logic of symmetry to solve this question without any calculations.

Set S would include all such sequences as 3, 2, 4, 5, 6 or 4, 2, 3, 6, 5 or 6, 3, 4, 5, 2 etc – starting with 3, with 4, with 5 or with 6 with equal probability.

By symmetry, note that 1/4th of them will start with 5 – which we need to ignore – so we are left with the rest of the 3/4th sequences.

Now, in these 3/4th sequences which start with either 3 or 4 or 6, 5 could occupy any one of the 4 positions – second, third, fourth or fifth with equal probability. So we need 1/4th of these sequences i.e. only those sequences in which 5 is in the second spot.

Probability that 5 is the second element of the sequence = (3/4)*(1/4) = 3/16

Therefore, a+b = 3+16 = 19

Answer (E)

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 19:53
wow, now that's a tough son of a b...
did everything correct until..
so we have 120 ways in which the numbers can be arranged, and 24 ways in which first digit is 2. thus, we have 96 ways in which 2 is not the first digit.

now to the second part:
first digit - must be anything but not 2 or 5. so we have 3 possibilities
second digit - must be 5, so 1 possibility.
third digit - we are left with 3 possibilities
fourth digit - 2 possibilities
first digit - 1 possibility.

now here is where I made the mistake, instead of 3*1*3*2*1, I calculated 4*1*3*2*1.

instead of 3/16 and 3+16=19, I got 24/96 and 1/4 1+4=5.

damn me..I hate combinatorics/probability questions...
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 06:45
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for whi &nbs [#permalink] 14 Mar 2018, 06:45

Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for whi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap