GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Oct 2014, 14:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (02:19) correct 34% (02:23) wrong based on 162 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept and y-intercept is positive. Which of the following points could be on line D?

A. (5,10)
B. (-3,2)
C. (-1,7)
D. (-1,2)
E. (-3,1)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone can clarify the meaning of "the product of its x-intercept and y-intercept is positive" on the diagram for me?

Thanks

Originally posted by yvonne0923 on 12 Apr 2011, 21:43.
Last edited by Bunuel on 21 Oct 2014, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
RENAMED THE TOPIC.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2011, 22:09
If a is the X-intercept and b is the Y-intercept. The line passes through the points (a,0) and (0,b)

The slope of this line is (b/-a)

If a*b is positive, means both a & b have the same sign. Which means (b/-a) is a negative number or the slope is negative. The rest of the solution is as above.
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge
Re: Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2011, 21:53
I think this means we are looking for a line that has negative slope.

Only D satisfies that condition.

Point (-2,5)

A. (5,10) m = 10 - 5/ 5 -(-2) = +ve
B. (-3,2) m = 2-5 / -3 - (-2) = +ve
C. (-1,7) m = 7 - 5 / -1 - (-2) = +ve
D. (-1,2) m = 2 - 5 / -1 - (-2) = -ve
E. (-3,1) m = 1 - 5 / -3 - (-2) = +ve
Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2011, 23:57
The slope of the line is -ve, the only point that makes the slope -ve is D.

(5 - 2)/(-2 + 1) = 3/-1

Answer - D

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2011, 19:15
yvonne0923 wrote:
Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept and y-intercept is positive. Which of the following points could be on line D?

A. (5,10)
B. (-3,2)
C. (-1,7)
D. (-1,2)
E. (-3,1)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone can clarify the meaning of "the product of its x-intercept and y-intercept is positive" on the diagram for me?

Thanks

First and foremost, make sure you draw quick diagrams in coordinate geometry problems. Half your problem will be solved there and then.
So the line would look something like one of these lines if it passes through (-2, 5).

Attachment:
Ques2.jpg
Ques2.jpg [ 11.85 KiB | Viewed 6562 times ]

Further, x-intercept is the point on the x axis where the line intersects the x axis. y intercept is the point on the y axis where the line intersects the y axis. Say if a line passes through (1, 0), its x intercept much be 1. If a line passes through (0, -3), its y intercept must be -3. Of course, for any straight line, x and y intercepts have unique values.

What is the point of giving that the product of x and y intercepts is positive? This implies that either both x and y intercept are positive or both are negative. Now look at the lines above. Would it look something like the green line or the red line?
The red line has negative x intercept and positive y intercept so the product of its intercepts will be -ve. Hence, it cannot be the required line.
The green line has both intercepts positive so it can be our line ( it is downward sloping from left to right hence it has negative slope)
Now, I have plotted the approximate position of all the points. Which one can possibly lie on this line?
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 10.06 KiB | Viewed 6565 times ]

I think it is quite clear that the line can only pass through (-1, 2) and still maintain the negative slope. In all other cases, the line would have a positive slope i.e. it will look like the red line

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 11:29

(A) (5,10)
(B) (-3,2)
(C) (-1,7)
(D) (-1,2)
(E) (-3,1)
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.62
WE: Information Technology (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 12:37
Here is how i approached the question:
Equation of a line is (y-y1)/(x-x1)=m
y1= 5 , x1 = -2

(y-5)/(x+2)=m
y-5=mx+2m
y=m(x+2)+5

If both the x-intercept and y-intercept are positive, if you draw the line then the slope of the line would be -ve.

Plug in the solutions y=m(x+2)+5, only D will give you a -ve value for m, thus it's the solution :), thanks !
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 02:43
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V21
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 10:26
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
yvonne0923 wrote:

A. (5,10)
B. (-3,2)
C. (-1,7)
D. (-1,2)
E. (-3,1)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks

First and foremost, make sure you draw quick diagrams in coordinate geometry problems. Half your problem will be solved there and then.
So the line would look something like one of these lines if it passes through (-2, 5).

Attachment:
Ques2.jpg

Further, x-intercept is the point on the x axis where the line intersects the x axis. y intercept is the point on the y axis where the line intersects the y axis. Say if a line passes through (1, 0), its x intercept much be 1. If a line passes through (0, -3), its y intercept must be -3. Of course, for any straight line, x and y intercepts have unique values.

What is the point of giving that the product of x and y intercepts is positive? This implies that either both x and y intercept are positive or both are negative. Now look at the lines above. Would it look something like the green line or the red line?
The red line has negative x intercept and positive y intercept so the product of its intercepts will be -ve. Hence, it cannot be the required line.
The green line has both intercepts positive so it can be our line ( it is downward sloping from left to right hence it has negative slope)
Now, I have plotted the approximate position of all the points. Which one can possibly lie on this line?
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

I think it is quite clear that the line can only pass through (-1, 2) and still maintain the negative slope. In all other cases, the line would have a positive slope i.e. it will look like the red line

Thanks for the excellent explanation; Can you please update new question checking similar concept?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 06:10
yvonne0923 wrote:

A. (5,10)
B. (-3,2)
C. (-1,7)
D. (-1,2)
E. (-3,1)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks

Since prod of X and Y intercept is postive so line passes through 1st quad or 3rd quad means slope will be negative/Now find M< 0 ..by chosing one point from option and one point as (-2,5)
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2020, 04:54
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2020, 04:54

Line D passes through point (-2,5), and the product of its x-intercept

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics